Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Ugh. The problem isn't with the scoring. The secondary scoring is lacking but the team is still putting in over three a game. The problem is they're allowing too many and this trade doesn't make them better at defense. There's also no way to trade Carl Hagelin without becoming slower in the process.

The only thing redeeming this trade is it might end up being good asset management if we can rebuild Pearson. If not, this hurts worse than losing Hagelin for nothing as we need that space to resign Guentzel and Rust.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems everyone agrees that this was a terrible trade for both clubs :laugh:

No? Most people are saying it's a great trade for the Penguins.

Ugh. The problem isn't with the scoring. The secondary scoring is lacking but the team is still putting in over three a game. The problem is they're allowing too many and this trade doesn't make them better at defense. There's also no way to trade Carl Hagelin without becoming slower in the process.

The only thing redeeming this trade is it might end up being good asset management if we can rebuild Pearson. If not, this hurts worse than losing Hagelin for nothing as we need that space to resign Guentzel and Rust.

So it's a bad trade because JR should have made another trade? What?

The defense will get addressed, but to say this deal was bad because it should have been another trade doesn't make sense to me. The Penguins don't have problems scoring? They haven't scored a goal without Crosby or Malkin on the ice for 9 games. They haven't scored a goal without Crosby on the ice for 5 games. The Penguins have only 8 players with more than 1 goal. Without their 9 goal outburst against the Flames, they would be ranked 21st in the NHL in goals for.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Pearson will put up 50-60 pts next year. Just entering his prime and dudes skilled putting up 40 in our defensive system. Whole team is bad this year . What a steal for Pens

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
I think Hagelin was more valuable to the Pens than some people realize. Sure he isn't an offensive dynamo, but he's one of the fastest skaters in the league, one of the best PKers, and a beast on the forecheck and fishing out pucks.

Reactions: Riptide

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Ugh... while I get the point you're making, Hagelin does so much more to help his line then just score or put up points. His speed alone helps his line. I think Pearson is a better hockey player, but there's no guarantee that he has the same sort of impact here that Hagelin had. I think I like the trade for Pittsburgh, but losing Hagelin sucks, even when he only had 3pts.

That is fair assessment and I cant say I disagree with a lot of it. I was thinking about his speed and mayhem it causes, and it was great. Issue was that this year more often than not it lead to nothing in the end. Saved shot, turnover and so on. It looked like Hags lost his hands somehow. When he was part of HBK line, speed and all that was still there, but he was putting up points as well, last year for 2/3 and whole season so far, he has hands of stone and no finish at all for whatever reason. Part of me wishes he was still here, as that speed is killer, but in grand scheme of things that room really needed a wakeup call. Hopefully this is enough to wake them up and break up that complacency that has crept in.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kings get older, makes sense.
Hagelin is an impending UFA and Pearson has term left on his deal. The Kings cleared future cap space and gained a tradeable deadline asset.

The one thing I will mention is how ineffective he was in his brief time in Anaheim. I'm not sure if his game is suited for the West. It'll be interesting to see how he's used in the short time he spends in LA. If Rieder's short time there is any evidence, it'll be ineffectively.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’m going against the wind but... I get it for LA, not for PIT.

I don’t like Pearson at all, at least Hags brings something.
I think PIT is looking at it as a more skilled slower version of Hagelin. Pearson has typically been a 20g/40pt player. Hagelin hasn't been that for us since HBK was hot for 40 games... something that was never repeatable. So while I understand why it makes sense for LA,i can also see PITs reasoning.

The big question for me isn't that they've made this move, but that they A. Did so so soon. And B. That they didn't wait until Brassard was healthy to see what sort of impact getting him back makes on things.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Pearson has been invisible this year and hasn’t scored since March.

Love how Pens fans are projecting him to become a 60 point player and how the Kings got boned.

I’m sure Hagelin was the guy Blake targeted to turn the Kings around. Surprised he didn’t give up their first this year too to get him out of gratitude.

Think about it, Hagelin was all Pearson could bring back people.

Reactions: Zal

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I was thinking to my self about a year and a half ago ,the Haul the Kings could get if they moved everyone but Kopitar and Quick. They've already got there cups,there players were getting older and the style of game has been changing. I just dont get it. Unless its revenue related. Now they've gone the complete opposite way signing Kovalchuck. I dont get it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe I'm cynical, but I wouldn't be so sure that Blake flips him at the deadline. Unless he bombs, I wouldn't put it past Blake to keep him and try to re-sign him.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they make him wear a number in the 70s to keep the idea of That 70s Line that they're so enamored with alive. Ok, I'm definitely cynical.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I was thinking to my self about a year and a half ago ,the Haul the Kings could get if they moved everyone but Kopitar and Quick. They've already got there cups,there players were getting older and the style of game has been changing. I just dont get it. Unless its revenue related. Now they've gone the complete opposite way signing Kovalchuck. I dont get it.
This is a debate that continues to rage on the Kings board.

LA had a Jennings winning defense last year. Three core pieces had career years. The aging core are proven cup winners. Many feel the team was on the way to a rebuild in the next couple years knowing they were likely a third place/wildcard team. Not many felt they would be dead last this year.

Some have been calling for key trades the last few years as you suggested. The core is older and overpaid. The supporting players aren’t that good.

LAs window is closed. They are stuck with two world class players that take up 20 million. They can’t afford for them to have off years.

Hughes is the best thing that can happen now. It won’t tho.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pearson has been invisible this year and hasn’t scored since March.

Love how Pens fans are projecting him to become a 60 point player and how the Kings got boned.

I’m sure Hagelin was the guy Blake targeted to turn the Kings around. Surprised he didn’t give up their first this year too to get him out of gratitude.

Think about it, Hagelin was all Pearson could bring back people.

60 points? Doubt it.

40-50? Wouldn’t be surprised.

I feel like this board is shitting super hard on Pearson when the Kings fans I actually know living in SoCal all think it is a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad