Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
My thought as well. Hagelin was gone so the money was there for Geuntzal.

And they traded one of, it not the, fastest players on their team when they were already one of the slower teams in the Metro.

Pearson could light it up, like Neal did, but it is a weird trade.

They’re slow right now because their D can’t play beyond Letang and Dumoulin. Hagelin, apart from that EN goal didn’t really contribute to that 2017 Cup. I’ll miss his speed but it doesn’t move the needle by itself.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jan 21, 2018
if this trade happened on july 1st there would be 3 posts tops let alone 18 pages of comments

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Pearson hasn't been good for a while, he's had something like 1 goal and 6 points in his last 34 games. He might be recharged by the trade, but he might not. In any case, he's completely lost that spark and drive that he used to have. Not to mention he's lost a step since his leg injury a few seasons back, he struggles a bit to keep up with the speed of the game now. Might as well get an asset for him that can be flipped later, because he wasn't going to find his game again with the Kings. They are going to need cap space after this year if they want to do any type of rebuild.

Reactions: smitty10

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hagelin does what Hagelin does, but gotta feel he is being underrated here...

That said, time for Pearson to make it or fade away.

People are underrating Pearson way more than Hagelin in here. I don't see anyone crapping on Hagelin like people are crapping on Pearson. Hagelin is a decent 3rd liner, I don't see anyone saying he's less than that.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I will believe this report when I see Hagelin in white and black and Pearson and black and yellow. Everyone have reported that it’s impossible to make trades in the NHL.

What is next? We will get a straight pope?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's a hard cap trade. Nothing more, nothing less. Money/cap in, money/cap out. Roster spot in, roster spot out. Right now, unless things change a lot, Hagelin is a warm body with an expiring contract for the Kings. Pittsburgh wants more than that out of Pearson. They'll probably get it, but Pearson is what he is. Maybe Crosby and Malkin can coax more out of him, but when he doesn't mind playing hockey, he's a lower end 2nd liner, ideally probably a 3rd line guy.

There have been zero trades around the league of any significance since the start of the season until today. Two(or at least one) relatively desperate GM's finally got together and were willing to do something.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
hags was a key part of the cup teams but he doesn't seem to have it anymore

i'm just sorry he had to go to the kings of all places, i feel for him

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think this is good for both teams. Pearson has offensive ability that can possibly be rekindled and Haglin will bring speed and energy to the slowest team in the NHL.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Not a bad deal for LA. Potential deadline suitors know exactly what they’re getting in Hagelin, not so much with Pearson. LA will chew up some of his remaining salary, then flip him for a pick.
I like this deal for LA.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I get it for Pittsburgh. Not for LA.

For the Kings, it's an NBA style free up cap space trade. In the short term, Blake can publicly say something like Hagelin helping with team speed but I'm pretty sure he's earmarked Hagelin as somebody to trade for a pick or prospect closer to the trade deadline. In the mean time, you can give the impression that this current group still has a chance to turn things around.

But realistically, LA's probably happy to free up 3.75 mil in cap space for next season. They don't have any other prominent guys coming off the books, so they needed to create some breathing room with the cap in order to be more flexible with their next moves. It's easy to take for granted, but cap space is an asset.

Trade market is tough for a reclamation project with term on their contract. Decent number of teams wouldn't have the cap space for Pearson without giving up somebody making similar money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad