Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Holy crap that's insane.

Ehhh maybe not that bad. Coburn > Gudas of course and it's a giant late first but the third tips the scales into slight overpayment. Coburn is on term though IIRC, no? Shrug, it's late. Whatever.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Holy crap that's insane.

Ehhh maybe not that bad. Coburn > Gudas of course and it's a giant late first but the third tips the scales into slight overpayment. Coburn is on term though IIRC, no? Shrug, it's late. Whatever.

Id agree but Gudas has some value. He alone would have brought back a 3rd, maybe a 4rth at worst. When he is healthy is a solid enough 4/5/6 pmd type. Coburn is just as fragile and while clearly the better of the two he wasn't worth a first by any means. I wonder how long it will take before deeshamrok comes in and set me straight on Coburn.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Gudas is about equal to Roman Polak. I'd peg his value at a 2nd, especially since he has room to grow some. Can't say I feel Coburn is worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, no matter how late the 1st is.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
We cabn easily say that Hextall learned a LOT from Lombardi.

I have a strange feeling that the Flyers are going to be a scary team in 3-4 years :)

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I have a strange feeling that the Flyers are going to be a scary team in 3-4 years :)

I doubt it, #becasuephilly. Besides, Lombardi is a shrewd lawyer, Hextall, god love him, is an ex goalie with a couple screws loose.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

They have some nice defense prospects, but by the time they are ready their top forwards will be leaving their prime.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I doubt it, #becasuephilly. Besides, Lombardi is a shrewd lawyer, Hextall, god love him, is an ex goalie with a couple screws loose.

This. I have a hard time believing Hacks-tall has changed enough emotions wise to be as calm under fire as DL.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
McBain deserves to be in the lineup, guy has played really well over the last month. Since McBain has been removed from the lineup, Greene's ice time increased the Kings have been outscored 9-4 and are 0-3.

kingscups

Jun 5, 2008
California
McBain deserves to be in the lineup, guy has played really well over the last month. Since McBain has been removed from the lineup, Greene's ice time increased the Kings have been outscored 9-4 and are 0-3.

Exactly, I was hoping that Greene would of been shipped out today, I though McBain's play was picking up.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Exactly, I was hoping that Greene would of been shipped out today, I though McBain's play was picking up.

Matt Greene needs someone like A-Mart to be effective. Also Greene needs to not play more than 12 minutes a night.

He is not a Defender that can play high minutes, or carry the play in his own D zone like A-Mart can. Greene needs to be able to sit in front of the net and clear pucks out. Asking him to do anything else or play 15 minutes a game is going to cost your team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
At least Sutter split up RR/Sekera, that pairing was bad in Buffalo.

Started bad for the Kings.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
the thing about this trade that maybe some of you don't get why some us are pessimistic is the following

leave the mirages aside, let's see what this deal really is

did we trade for a full year of Sekera? no...we got him at the 59 mark correct?

so we traded him for AT LEAST 23 games and hopefully more if we make the playoffs, and even more so if he's signed

now...working with what we KNOW is the minimum guarantee of 23 games

out of those 23 games (which cost the Kings a 1st rd pick & McKeown) some people that are patient to a fault would say, hey give him a 5 game or so to adapt...although through experience when you trade a player that player would want to have an imediate impact (don't look too far...Stafford, Jagr, Myers all had an immediate impact with their teams). But fine! Give him 5 expensive games of adapting...so now i'm down to a mininum guarantee that Sekera will show up for 18 games...

that my friends, is a very expensive trade

if i told you, hey man here take Voynov for 18 games, in return just give me a 1st round pick AND McKeown...you'd bite? or hesitate?

now hopefully we sign him...but before that...hopefully HE'S DECENT ENOUGH FOR US TO BE WILLING TO SIGN HIM

i say, so far, (I STRESS SO FAR) bad deal

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
the thing about this trade that maybe some of you don't get why some us are pessimistic is the following

leave the mirages aside, let's see what this deal really is

did we trade for a full year of Sekera? no...we got him at the 59 mark correct?

so we traded him for AT LEAST 23 games and hopefully more if we make the playoffs, and even more so if he's signed

now...working with what we KNOW is the minimum guarantee of 23 games

out of those 23 games (which cost the Kings a 1st rd pick & McKeown) some people that are patient to a fault would say, hey give him a 5 game or so to adapt...although through experience when you trade a player that player would want to have an imediate impact (don't look too far...Stafford, Jagr, Myers all had an immediate impact with their teams). But fine! Give him 5 expensive days of adapting...so now i'm down to a mininum guarantee that Sekera will show up for 18 games...

that my friends, is a very expensive trade

if i told you, hey man here take Voynov for 18 games, in return just give me a 1st round pick AND McKeown...you'd bite? or hesitate?

now hopefully we sign him...but before that...hopefully HE'S DECENT ENOUGH FOR US TO BE WILLING TO SIGN HIM

i say bad deal

The 1st or Mckeown don't help the Kings at all this season. The Kings needed another Defender that can eat 20 minutes a night RIGHT NOW. The only Defenders on the Market capable of doing that: Wisniewski/Petry/Sekera/Dion. Lombardi choose Sekera, and paid Carolina's price.

Lombardi accomplished what he set out to do. Shore up the Defense for this season.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sutter is putting Muzzin with Greene to keep Greene from getting exposed.

Doughty will keep RR from getting exposed.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah it doesn't matter who you pair Muzzin with, He is a corsi god(Like Doughty).

Muzzin will still end up with 60+% of the possession when the puck is in his zone or on his stick.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The 1st or Mckeown don't help the Kings at all this season. The Kings needed another Defender that can eat 20 minutes a night RIGHT NOW. The only Defenders on the Market capable of doing that: Wisniewski/Petry/Sekera/Dion. Lombardi choose Sekera, and paid Carolina's price.

Lombardi accomplished what he set out to do. Shore up the Defense for this season.

I agree. The players gave Dean every indication that they are ready to make a push.

The Kings have a chance to make some history THIS season. Dean provided the piece they needed to have a much better chance of doing so in the acquisition of Sekera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad