Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
"Horrible. Brutal. Awful. Overpaid." People who use hyperbole don't usually respond.

So you would be comfortable giving up a comparable package? And add, because it always costs more in the division.

Yes I would be comfortable. Yandle is a game changer, and would provide an immediate offensive presence on the powerplay, which we havent had since Blake and Visnovsky. Yandle is also a better puck mover than Sekera who has shown nothing yet in a tough conference. Whatever he did in the east coast wont fly here. Yandle has proven he can play with the big boys and win significantly increase our chances of winning the cup.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
1. He got pushed around and knocked down both games like a child on roller skates.

2. He has no physical presence.

3. He cant move the puck through the neutral zone.

4. He is not good at making the initial breakout pass from the d zone to the wingers.

5. Weak shot from the point (however I will admit it is accurate)

1. I didn't see any more of that than I did with any other King. In fact, I saw more than one occasion where Sekera busted out of the corner with possession despite a checker and I don't recall any other Kings aside from Doughty doing that today.

2. He was never advertised to have a physical presence. He's smarts and positioning. Gets inside, leverages players on the boards, and takes the puck. Yet he blew up Stafford today. So not only were your expectations misinformed/wrong, your observations were wrong today as well.

3. I don't even feel like we're watching the same game. Again, no Kings were able to do this with regularity, they were forcing us to skate, and Sekera was looking very good by the end of the game (admittedly too late, but the point is he was getting better and better).

4. Didn't really notice much off with that but you know, how long has he been with the team again?

5. I don't know about his shot strength--slapper seemed fine, not going to overpower anyone--but at least it got through. The rest of the team could take notes on a guy getting the puck through traffic.

He hasn't been a great player yet, but it seems like this board was expecting a savior...he's gotten thrown into 3 games in 3.5 days and played in two of them, not much time there for systems, etc., and it's not like a forward where there's less responsibility, this guy got saddled with our #3 position in two of our worst games lately vs. two strong opponents and was given a boat anchor as a partner (who he has struggled with in the past) who had his worst game of the year today.

I'm not asking people to worship him, but I am asking for people to check their expectations, this is ridiculous.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
It depends on what the 'more' is because for us that would basically be a 1st, 2nd, McNabb and Nick Shore for Yandle, Summers and a 4th. In essence we gave the 1st and 2nd for Sekera. I'd gladly add McNabb and Shore for an additional year, not to mention I like Yandle more anyway.

No way. More like a 1st, 2nd, Pearson and Kempe for ....

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
1. I didn't see any more of that than I did with any other King. In fact, I saw more than one occasion where Sekera busted out of the corner with possession despite a checker and I don't recall any other Kings aside from Doughty doing that today.

2. He was never advertised to have a physical presence. He's smarts and positioning. Gets inside, leverages players on the boards, and takes the puck. Yet he blew up Stafford today. So not only were your expectations misinformed/wrong, your observations were wrong today as well.

3. I don't even feel like we're watching the same game. Again, no Kings were able to do this with regularity, they were forcing us to skate, and Sekera was looking very good by the end of the game (admittedly too late, but the point is he was getting better and better).

4. Didn't really notice much off with that but you know, how long has he been with the team again?

5. I don't know about his shot strength--slapper seemed fine, not going to overpower anyone--but at least it got through. The rest of the team could take notes on a guy getting the puck through traffic.

He hasn't been a great player yet, but it seems like this board was expecting a savior...he's gotten thrown into 3 games in 3.5 days and played in two of them, not much time there for systems, etc., and it's not like a forward where there's less responsibility, this guy got saddled with our #3 position in two of our worst games lately vs. two strong opponents and was given a boat anchor as a partner (who he has struggled with in the past) who had his worst game of the year today.

I'm not asking people to worship him, but I am asking for people to check their expectations, this is ridiculous.

Greene, Reg, and McNabb played physical. I never said he was advertised to be physical. He is a 5 foot nothing midget that will get manhandled in the playoffs.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Voynov is 5'11". Sekera is 6'. They are both about the same weight. Checking is legal in the east coast. Eastern Conference is not an in-house league or AA hockey. Pretty sure he's seen physicality before.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
how so?

the Rangers gave

Moore
Duclair (prospect)
1st
2nd

for me that sounds like

Martinez
Kempe/Zykov/McKeown
1st
2nd

I think that's a pretty good equivalency! Edit: Kempe anyway, probably not Zykov and definitely not McKeown.

Greene, Reg, and McNabb played physical. I never said he was advertised to be physical. He is a 5 foot nothing midget that will get manhandled in the playoffs.

So of all the points I mentioned, it's basically just that you feel he's too small. That's it? Even though he held his own against the biggest team in the league? That's weak.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
how so?

the Rangers gave

Moore
Duclair (prospect)
1st
2nd

for me that sounds like

Martinez
Kempe/Zykov/McKeown
1st
2nd

McKeown is not on Duclair's level. It would have to be one of the other two.

I would not trade Martinez, Zykov, a first, and a second for Yandle.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
No way. More like a 1st, 2nd, Pearson and Kempe for ....

Way too much.

Pearson is not getting traded unless it's for a player further along in their development. Someone we would WANT Pearson to develop into. Even then, you mull it over for a while. Pearson is a kid and already pretty damn good. Him and Toffoli are the future.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think that's a pretty good equivalency! Edit: Kempe anyway, probably not Zykov and definitely not McKeown.

So of all the points I mentioned, it's basically just that you feel he's too small. That's it? Even though he held his own against the biggest team in the league? That's weak.

Held his own? He was thrown around like a rag doll. With respect to your other points, not all of the Kings had trouble breaking out of the zone. Doughty, Muzzin, and McNab did just fine.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Held his own? He was thrown around like a rag doll. With respect to your other points, not all of the Kings had trouble breaking out of the zone. Doughty, Muzzin, and McNab did just fine.

To point #1, so was Lewis. So was Brown. They're barely bigger than Sekera; guess they won't have any success in this league. And Sekera didn't get tossed around any more than them other than he had to get hit every time the puck came into his area. I don't even recall him falling once so no clue what you're talking about.

To the breakouts, I didn't see Sekera having issues with first passes either, the problem happened after that. And even then he was firing pucks down the ice to forwards with speed towards the end so to me he's an engine building steam.

Most of Sekera's 'issues' occurred due to Regehr, and even then it takes a hyperfocus to find them. That's called nitpicking. We're calling a guy a bust trade because he was getting hit by the biggest team in the league, that's a bad joke.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
No, I tend to ignore the trade rumours for the most part. And that has nothing to do with the conversation anyway.

Well that was one of his other trade proposals from a couple months ago, so consider the source.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
That was kind of my point... No summer = go to HF to *****.

Do what I do. Save up all of your cane shaking for summer. It makes the winter go by more quickly. Spend time down at the local curling rink and yell at the sweeps things like "YOUR NOT DOING THAT RIGHT!" or "YOU CALL THAT A BLOCK?" it drives them nuts. Put on a pair of shorts and wrap a towel around your neck and walk outside everyday at the exact same time and act all pissed off that it isn't a sunny summer day. All of those things work for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad