Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Regehr may be the problem. This is the modern NHL. Stay at home D are useless. Everyone wants puck movers and/or good skaters. "Stay at home" D on our team are really just traffic cones, so more pressure is put on the offensive minded D.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Regehr may be the problem. This is the modern NHL. Stay at home D are useless. Everyone wants puck movers and/or good skaters. "Stay at home" D on our team are really just traffic cones, so more pressure is put on the offensive minded D.

I stopped reading at the bolded

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
What? They are. Everyone needs to be more offensive minded and good skaters these days. Look at guys like Orpik and Matt Greene or even Ryan Suter. Defensemen need to bring more than just one dimensional play. These guys are being phased out. Shea Weber and Doughty are great examples of what defensemen need to be. Weber has a great shot and Doughty can move the puck out of trouble. I know guys like Karlsson and McBain are criticised but they also only have one aspect to their game.

Maybe I used a bit of a hyperbole; I guess having one might be useful occasionally. If you'd continue to read my post, you'd see that my points are fair. As soon as a player brings something more than just skating backwards and hitting, they are an average defender and I would not consider them "stay at home". Just like I believe fighting will soon be phased out, slow moving D will too. It's just the evolution of the game. Players are getting faster and more skilled, and defending against them takes more than just telling the D to "look at the chest and take the body", especially when you have more than one on the line.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
What? They are. Everyone needs to be more offensive minded and good skaters these days. Look at guys like Orpik and Matt Greene or even Ryan Suter. Defensemen need to bring more than just one dimensional play. These guys are being phased out. Shea Weber and Doughty are great examples of what defensemen need to be. Weber has a great shot and Doughty can move the puck out of trouble. I know guys like Karlsson and McBain are criticised but they also only have one aspect to their game.

Maybe I used a bit of a hyperbole; I guess having one might be useful occasionally. If you'd continue to read my post, you'd see that my points are fair. As soon as a player brings something more than just skating backwards and hitting, they are an average defender and I would not consider them "stay at home". Just like I believe fighting will soon be phased out, slow moving D will too. It's just the evolution of the game. Players are getting faster and more skilled, and defending against them takes more than just telling the D to "look at the chest and take the body", especially when you have more than one on the line.

Orpik has 2 goals in his last three seasons.

I'd say that guys like Mitchell and Scuderi were vastly important to our cup runs and they are stay at home D-men.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Was hyperbolic but I get what you're saying. Teams are funneling the puck away from Doughty and the other puckmovers to the guys liek Regehr and Greene who on a good day are average puck movers at best. The league as a whole is moving away from the one-dimensional stay at homer. However, in the DL/Sutter regime, you're not going to see them move away from size and toughness on the backend altogether. Grabbing McNabb should have signalled that.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Orpik has 2 goals in his last three seasons.

I'd say that guys like Mitchell and Scuderi were vastly important to our cup runs and they are stay at home D-men.

Mitchell could skate, he brought an extra level of leadership too. I would say he's an outlier. Scuderi, well, he was pretty average. He was very pivotal in game six and the cup win, so it's hard to criticize him.

My point is the game is changing, season after season and while they do have some worth, it's decreasing.

2 goals for Orpik is pretty funny. What the **** was Washington thinking?

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Was hyperbolic but I get what you're saying. Teams are funneling the puck away from Doughty and the other puckmovers to the guys liek Regehr and Greene who on a good day are average puck movers at best. The league as a whole is moving away from the one-dimensional stay at homer. However, in the DL/Sutter regime, you're not going to see them move away from size and toughness on the backend altogether. Grabbing McNabb should have signalled that.

I actually am starting to like McNabb's game. It's exciting to see him throwing those massive hipchecks. He also has a pretty good shot and has shown some good hockey smarts. If his game rounds out, he will do more than Greene has ever done for sure.

I also agree that we will continue to see players like Greene in our system. That's alright with me, as long as we're winning (which we aren't for some odd reason).

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Mitchell could skate, he brought an extra level of leadership too. I would say he's an outlier. Scuderi, well, he was pretty average. He was very pivotal in game six and the cup win, so it's hard to criticize him.

My point is the game is changing, season after season and while they do have some worth, it's decreasing.

They took Pittsburgh's trash. :laugh:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I fail to see how Mitchell brings a level of leadership that far exceeds Regehr's, the D-man you called useless.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I fail to see how Mitchell brings a level of leadership that far exceeds Regehr's, the D-man you called useless.

Again, I used a hyperbole, I apologize. I still cannot believe today's game and us going on a 3 game lose streak. I just think Mitchell was faster than Regehr and you can tell Willie is a much more vocal person. Mitchell-Voynov was terrific but Regehr-Voynov was so-so (I'll admit that I can't really explain this). I like that Regehr destroys people but that's pretty much it from my perspective. He is smarter than Greene but is limited to a certain number of plays just like Greene. Don't get me wrong, Regehr is a leader, I didn't mean any disrespect to him in that regard.

Again, sorry. I'm not the smartest person, really. Just kinda my opinion on the status of hockey.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Again, I used a hyperbole, I apologize. I still cannot believe today's game and us going on a 3 game lose streak. I just think Mitchell was faster than Regehr and you can tell Willie is a much more vocal person. Mitchell-Voynov was terrific but Regehr-Voynov was so-so (I'll admit that I can't really explain this). I like that Regehr destroys people but that's pretty much it from my perspective. He is smarter than Greene but is limited to a certain number of plays just like Greene. Don't get me wrong, Regehr is a leader, I didn't mean any disrespect to him in that regard.

Again, sorry. I'm not the smartest person, really. Just kinda my opinion on the status of hockey.

Oh yeah, well, Regehr can hear pudding.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Another horrible game by Sekera. Lets just scratch him the next game and input McBain. If this was the beginning of the season I would be more patient with this guy, but we are losing precious points while he figures how to play hockey like a NHLer. I just hope by some miracle Voynov comes back.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Another horrible game by Sekera. Lets just scratch him the next game and input McBain. If this was the beginning of the season I would be more patient with this guy, but we are losing precious points while he figures how to play hockey like a NHLer. I just hope by some miracle Voynov comes back.

This is insane. I've asked SEVERAL posters who have posted this and none have responded. Why do you believe this game was horrible for Sekera?

plagiarizing myself from another thread:

2 of the worst games the Kings have played in the calendar year and people are blaming the acquisition who hasn't had enough time with the organization to take a crap in the Kings locker room.

Sekera is the least of our worries and got stronger and stronger as the game went along, I'm honestly questioning what people did not like about his game today. I saw more than one poster go "he wasn't physical at all" which makes me wonder what the hell they're expecting because he was NEVER that guy, yet today he blasted Stafford. He's a victim of circumstance, nothing more at this point.

Oh no, one deadline acquisition cost us a pick that we don't even know where it is yet never mind what sort of player it will become or how far off they are in addition to a defenseman that wouldn't see our roster for half a decade if at all. Horrible cost for the GM trying to win his 3rd cup in 4th years by plugging the biggest hole on the team...what was he thinking?

Ugh, I need to start a blog.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I want to agree on Yandle over Sekera but try to wrap your heads around what it would have taken to part with to get him.

Some posters around here were broken up about losing McKeown, try losing 2-3 times that.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
"Horrible. Brutal. Awful. Overpaid." People who use hyperbole don't usually respond.

I cant believe we missed out on Yandle over Sekera. Big mistake my Lombardi.

So you would be comfortable giving up a comparable package? And add, because it always costs more in the division.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is insane. I've asked SEVERAL posters who have posted this and none have responded. Why do you believe this game was horrible for Sekera?

Not to mention, 'Another' can only equal two, because he's only played to games total for LA. Since when do we judge any veteran player on just two games? That's just about the dumbest idea I've heard of on these boards, which says a lot.

That's assuming Phoenix would even think about trading Yandle in division, which is debateable.

Very good point.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
"Horrible. Brutal. Awful. Overpaid." People who use hyperbole don't usually respond.

So you would be comfortable giving up a comparable package? And add, because it always costs more in the division.

It depends on what the 'more' is because for us that would basically be a 1st, 2nd, McNabb and Nick Shore for Yandle, Summers and a 4th. In essence we gave the 1st and 2nd for Sekera. I'd gladly add McNabb and Shore for an additional year, not to mention I like Yandle more anyway.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

1. He got pushed around and knocked down both games like a child on roller skates.

2. He has no physical presence.

3. He cant move the puck through the neutral zone.

4. He is not good at making the initial breakout pass from the d zone to the wingers.

5. Weak shot from the point (however I will admit it is accurate)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad