Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Cal Petersen signs extension with the Kings (3 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
4 million aav would've made more sense IMO, but I really think he's going to have a great year with how we bolstered our squad this offseason. He was in front of some pretty horrendous teams the past couple years and still looked good for the most part.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This is definitely a pay-for-potential deal, but goalies cost more than they used to. Petersen just came off winning the best goaltender award at Worlds too. I think he's really underrated, but that's not to say he 100% definitely deserves $5 million. But I think he and the Kings will turn a lot of heads this year.

LA has $20 million in cap space next season after this deal.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The funny thing is, the overall consensus is that this is too much by like a million/year. The Kings org will see this as saving 800k per year on the goalie position since Quick is making 5.8 mil and his deal will expire in 2023, assuming he doesn't retire first.

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
love the non-kings fan reaction...question for you cats..do you guys even watch hockey...lmao!

Just for kicks, go look at Lehner twitter post...he put Cal as top five goalie in the league...not to say he is, but he's a very good goalie

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He was unrestricted at the end of the year, its not as though they were negotiating with a RFA. Not going over three years is the biggest accomplishment. Nobody is pushing him from underneath and this is most likely Quick's last year in LA. You can't hope to make strides and have zero goaltending next year without spending similar money on what would likely be a lateral move at best, so stick with the one you have developed. He is a good goalie.

The Kings have several very good players who don't get their league wide fan respect due to being such a poor team over the past few seasons with very little national exposure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad