Speculation: Laine on the move again? (Mod warning OP)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope the best for Laine that I'll still root for him even if he ends up scoring a ten-goal game against the Jets.

But for the love of god, GET LAINE OUT OF COLUMBUS!!!

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Who really wants 11m$ for a up n down player, who shows up big agaisnt bad teams, and not when you need him to. Yes, goalscorers may be that material, but who actually needs that??

I think Columbus is sitting here with a hot grenade, and need to give it away quick as possible.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Who really wants 11m$ for a up n down player, who shows up big agaisnt bad teams, and not when you need him to. Yes, goalscorers may be that material, but who actually needs that??

I think Columbus is sitting here with a hot grenade, and need to give it away quick as possible.
All regular season points are equally valuable, no matter what team you are playing against. It is a well known fact that Laine has been really good in the playoffs throughout his career, so he is definitely on the trade radar for a lot of GM’s out there.

His 7,5 M$ salary shouldn’t be a problem, since there are a lot of possible trades to be made with the flexibility of salary retention. Jarmo seems to be a wizard looking at the return that he’s gotten so far on the trades that he’s made. Laine should fetch a top 6 forward+a 1st+something extra as a bare minimum.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I was thinking about maximizing private value here in the offseason. Florida probably likes Laine more than others due to the Barky connections; Montreal probably likes Huberdeau more than others because he is a) cheap and b) French Canadian, and Columbus needs a center. Trading Laine + for Huberdeau is reasonable value giving contracts but doesn't fix Columbus's needs. What about this three-way

Columbus:
Receives Suzuki+1st
Gives: Laine+2nd

Montreal:
Receives Huberdeau
Gives: Suzuki+1st

Florida:
Receives: Laine+2nd
Gives: Huberdeau

I imagine that Laine would sign cheaper to be with Barkov (8 year contracts for both?). I'm not sure on the pluses. (I view Huberdeau>Laine>Suzuki for current value)

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was thinking about maximizing private value here in the offseason. Florida probably likes Laine more than others due to the Barky connections; Montreal probably likes Huberdeau more than others because he is a) cheap and b) French Canadian, and Columbus needs a center. Trading Laine + for Huberdeau is reasonable value giving contracts but doesn't fix Columbus's needs. What about this three-way

Columbus:
Receives Suzuki+1st
Gives: Laine+2nd

Montreal:
Receives Huberdeau
Gives: Suzuki+1st

Florida:
Receives: Laine+2nd
Gives: Huberdeau

I imagine that Laine would sign cheaper to be with Barkov (8 year contracts for both?). I'm not sure on the pluses. (I view Huberdeau>Laine>Suzuki for current value)
I suspect Montreal objects. They value Suzuki pretty highly.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep: I get the high valuation. On the flip side, Huberdeau would be the best french canadian to play for their team since 1993.

Maybe not a first or something

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Yep: I get the high valuation. On the flip side, Huberdeau would be the best french canadian to play for their team since 1993.

Maybe not a first or something
I think mtl fans would say no even if you took all of the picks out and just made it a three player swap. I don’t think it’s an unfair trade or lopsided.

Reactions: violaswallet

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Id love Laine on the Devils but I don't see what could be dealt that would work for both teams.
Devils have no available C.
Nico - signed for 8 years, just named captain. No way i can see the Devils offer him up.
Hughes - Has not reached potential yet. He is generating tons of offence. I cannot see the Devils moving him now. I view this as an overpayment.
Zacha - not a good enough piece as a main piece. Best C we have that we could offer.

2021 1st (Devils) , 2021 1st (islanders), Foote , Zacha ?
Way too much to give up for Laine. Devils 1st is a likely top 5 pick and is absolutely off the table.

I think Zacha can work as a main piece because of the break out year he is having.

Zacha + Johnsson + 2021 Islanders 1st + 2022 Devils 2nd for Laine

Reactions: dls

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think mtl fans would say no even if you took all of the picks out and just made it a three player swap. I don’t think it’s an unfair trade or lopsided.
Makes sense: not sure what Montreal GM would think. The idea is giving a star in his prime on wing for a young hot center, which Columbus needs!

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think the Jackets best bet since they've already given up assets to get Laine is to sign him to a bridge to UFA and hope that he rehabilitates proper value in the next two seasons. I think they'll have a hard time getting what they should right now.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As a Canuck fan I’d trade Boeser for Laine in a heartbeat. I doubt CBJ would do that though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the Jackets best bet since they've already given up assets to get Laine is to sign him to a bridge to UFA and hope that he rehabilitates proper value in the next two seasons. I think they'll have a hard time getting what they should right now.

They did get 3 first rounders for next draft and if they really think he's not a fit there then it's not a bad idea to sell on him and get back what you can. I bet you can get a bidding war for him get you something good that you can use going forward.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

This is correct, Habs supposedly had Suzuki and Romanov off the table for Dubois. KK was supposedly the main piece. However KK was off the table for Laine. The reasoning being we haven't had good centre depth since Koivu and the org believes atleast one of them will be a 1c with Suzuki being more likely.

Reactions: Gravity

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Makes sense: not sure what Montreal GM would think. The idea is giving a star in his prime on wing for a young hot center, which Columbus needs!
Thing is Montreal needs a center too and Suzuki is their best hope right now as a first line center. I’m sure they would love huby but they have drouin as well although not as good. Maybe if you swapped Suzuki for kk they might do it but I don’t know if Columbus would. I think it could look something like
To mtl huby (second best player in trade)
To fla laine (best player in trade)
To cbus kk plus a pick from Florida

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thing is Montreal needs a center too and Suzuki is their best hope right now as a first line center. I’m sure they would love huby but they have drouin as well although not as good. Maybe if you swapped Suzuki for kk they might do it but I don’t know if Columbus would. I think it could look something like
To mtl huby (second best player in trade)
To fla laine (best player in trade)
To cbus kk plus a pick from Florida
Yeah, I'm not convinced that works for us. We've got project guys; what we need is someone who can mentor by example. So, legit top-6 and experienced. Danault would be a good fit as a roster player, but he's a UFA, we'd want more on top of that regardless, and he's busy right now being part of the Habs playoff effort; he may well be a priority offseason target.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would offer a sweet package to Jarmo in order to have Laine alongside Jack Hughes, as his trigger man.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
So you’d offer Hischier+?

What?

Hischier’s value is already higher then both guys involved in the original trade, so no. He’s also locked up LT whereas Laine can bolt in 2 years. I can go on for like another 5 minutes as to why we wouldn’t include Nico for Laine in a 1 Vs 1 deal, let alone add on top of that.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
The CBJ were never interested in trading Laine and the only reason this rumor existed was because other GMs saw his and the team struggles and were attempting to buy low on an extremely talented but troubled young player who needs more development to hit his full potential. There is nothing to see here. Check back again in the summer when negotiations start.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad