TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Wonder if Pittsburgh could make some kind of push for him? Malkin has obviously taken a step back, but maybe he and Laine could spark some magic together. Not really sure what Pittsburgh could offer that Columbus would really want.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Wonder if Pittsburgh could make some kind of push for him? Malkin has obviously taken a step back, but maybe he and Laine could spark some magic together. Not really sure what Pittsburgh could offer that Columbus would really want.
Not to mention any big trades between the two aren't very likely. I know most CBJ fans would rather cut off their own arm rather than help Pittsburgh out. I can't see CBJ trading Laine to a divisional opponent, let alone a divisional rival. Especially without an overpayment.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm not sure what your point is, obviously the players and the system you play with is hugely correlated to points/goals.

Only thing I'm talking about is Laine's shot quality and how it's not as quick, powerful and accurate as it was when he was younger. It's quite obvious to notice having watched him play in WPG and CBJ. When Laine played with the Jets he was pretty much always expected to score when he got the puck in his office on the power play. His shot was that amazing, and he would easily beat goalies clean with it.

He just doesn't score goals like that anymore, and while some of that can be attributed to poor systems and teammates, the eye-test tells you a lot more. I do still think that Laine is an elite goal scorer with a lethal shot, but unfortunately not quite in the same way that he used to be. Could be because of injury issues, or lack of practice and repetition and having full attention to trying to get other aspects of the game better.

I didn't really watch Gaudreau in Calgary so don't know him that well to have a reasonable opinion. I would guess he's not as fast anymore and thus is running often out of space because he's small and his swiftness is/was the only thing he could get himself out of danger etc.
It's hard to take advantage of a good shot if you have a bad pass or you are tired because partners Peter run and gun style. That's why I showed you teammates that you couldn't use your shooting potential with.

One more thing caught my eye. He shot poorly from his position last season and the preseason. Speed was average, accuracy was poor. It seems to me that the mental problems started earlier, the injuries last season only accelerated them.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Not to mention any big trades between the two aren't very likely. I know most CBJ fans would rather cut off their own arm rather than help Pittsburgh out. I can't see CBJ trading Laine to a divisional opponent, let alone a divisional rival. Especially without an overpayment.
Yeah, they have made some moves in the past, however with a player like Laine I'm sure either team would be hesitant to help the other out.

As a pens fan I really wouldn't mind them acquiring him though. I always like Laine and I think he probably still has some left in the tank. I'm sure other teams outside of the division would probably have more alluring offers anyway.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Saad/Panarin trade 2.0? Saad and Laine think the game about the same.

No more Jarmo, but, I’m fascinated with what the return will be. This trade (and Merzlikins) will shape how I look at Waddell, for right or for wrong.

He needs to make a move before the year starts. Unless the team is just giving up on ANOTHER year. The BEST thing the team could do, is trade him in division.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's older than we'd prefer I think but Nick Leddy would be worth talking about.
I admittedly haven't been paying attention to him at all, but doing some cursory statwatching it looks like his general peformance and his defense in particular have kind of cratered of late. :(

1723130746592.png

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
He's older than we'd prefer I think but Nick Leddy would be worth talking about.
I admittedly haven't been paying attention to him at all, but doing some cursory statwatching it looks like his general peformance and his defense in particular have kind of cratered of late. :(
Just so you know, Leddy has a full no trade clause.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just so you know, Leddy has a full no trade clause.
I'm not sure if that would have an impact or not; kind of depends on the guy.

I'm just kind of obsessively focused on EXPERIENCED SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN to the exclusion of pretty much anything else and have given up on trying to be objective about it.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I'm not sure if that would have an impact or not; kind of depends on the guy.

I'm just kind of obsessively focused on EXPERIENCED SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN to the exclusion of pretty much anything else and have given up on trying to be objective about it.
He isn't as "experienced" as you probably want, but from the Ducks, Urho Vaakanainen could potentially be available in a Laine deal. He's currently slated to be the Ducks' #7 or #8, but that has more to do with the upside of the guys in front of him rather than his actual current ability. Last season, his most common partner was Gudas, and they got second pairing matchups when they played together. Believe it or not, their underlying numbers were pretty good (for the Ducks, at least). Vaakanainen offers minimal offensive upside, but he is a solid defensive defenseman. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but he could be a great partner for Jiricek on a 3rd pair.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He isn't as "experienced" as you probably want, but from the Ducks, Urho Vaakanainen could potentially be available in a Laine deal. He's currently slated to be the Ducks' #7 or #8, but that has more to do with the upside of the guys in front of him rather than his actual current ability. Last season, his most common partner was Gudas, and they got second pairing matchups when they played together. Believe it or not, their underlying numbers were pretty good (for the Ducks, at least). Vaakanainen offers minimal offensive upside, but he is a solid defensive defenseman. I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for, but he could be a great partner for Jiricek on a 3rd pair.
Yup, he's a guy I've looked up during the Laine discussion and would certainly be someone I'd target as parts of talks with the Ducks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He'd be fine for the shutdown part; I just really really want a mentor for the many kids we have other than/in addition to Gudbranson and/or JMFJ.

...and the fact that I need that last qualifier is probably why it's not happening, but damnit, I want to dream :(

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He'd be fine for the shutdown part; I just really really want a mentor for the many kids we have other than/in addition to Gudbranson and/or JMFJ.

...and the fact that I need that last qualifier is probably why it's not happening, but damnit, I want to dream :(
I’m just fine with a guy who doesn’t need a mentor. We got Gud and JJ for that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm surprised he hasn't been dealt yet, which IMO, suggests that he probably has outright negative value at this point given the baggage + salary. Not many teams can fit him in - and if you can't, are you going to perform the cap gymnastics? - and it always sounds like the price is being lowered and lowered and no one bites.

Shame. He's really talented and feels like he'd a be a worthy reclamation project. I was hoping/hope the Habs take a stab at him, especially since there's a clear need and we actually have the space.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm surprised he hasn't been dealt yet, which IMO, suggests that he probably has outright negative value at this point given the baggage + salary. Not many teams can fit him in - and if you can't, are you going to perform the cap gymnastics? - and it always sounds like the price is being lowered and lowered and no one bites.

Shame. He's really talented and feels like he'd a be a worthy reclamation project. I was hoping/hope the Habs take a stab at him, especially since there's a clear need and we actually have the space.
There is literally no hurry to make the deal when the season is so far away. There are also some big contracts (Draisaitl, Crosby, Rantanen) that could be signed right now, yet I don't think the fans of those teams are worried that they haven't been done yet.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I still think Utah would be a good place for him. They do have a deep prospect pool.
A Maccelli-Bjugstad-Laine could end up being their top scoring line and give them 3 decent scoring lines with Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz & Crouse-Cooley-Guenther and a shutdown line of Kerfoot-McBain-Stenlund.
He'd link up with Jazz's Markkanen who just signed a massive 5 year 220million contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad