TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And still had his two best offensive seasons the past 3 years. With the Jackets, with little offensive help.
He's still a 65 point player with the Jackets no matter how you try to say otherwise. It's also extremely generous to say that given how he's very unreliable to play enough games to get 65 points. It's not like he's excellent defensively or makes up for it in other areas, offense is supposed to be his forte and 8.7x2 for a 65 point player when healthy is not good.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He's still a 65 point player with the Jackets no matter how you try to say otherwise. It's also extremely generous to say that given how he's very unreliable to play enough games to get 65 points. It's not like he's excellent defensively or makes up for it in other areas, offense is supposed to be his forte and 8.7x2 for a 65 point player when healthy is not good.
He never even reached 65 points while being in Columbus and actually only reached it once in his career yet.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

He never even reached 65 points while being in Columbus and actually only reached it once in his career yet.
He's averaging his points across all of his seasons in Columbus and projecting his scoring rate over 82 games based on those numbers.

Instead of breaking it down by year. Because if he did that he'd have to admit that Laine put up back to back essentially point per game seasons with 52 in 55 and 56 in 56 games.

His first season in Columbus he was injured like 2 games into the season with WPG, and then was traded to Columbus when he came back and was trying to gain chemistry on a "retooling" team that just traded it's 1C away to get him

This past season he was trying to learn to center to help the team, suffered a conservation only to come back and get hurt again.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Laine is a good player but right now the only teams that have cap space are bottom dwellers and those teams generally want to keep their good picks and prospects. I'm just not sure where Waddell is going with this.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's averaging his points across all of his seasons in Columbus and projecting his scoring rate over 82 games based on those numbers.

Instead of breaking it down by year. Because if he did that he'd have to admit that Laine put up back to back essentially point per game seasons with 52 in 55 and 56 in 56 games.
Why don't we only count the games where he's scored points? I'm sure his numbers would look unreal. Laine has been on and off for most of his career, it's not a situation where he had one bad season but was elite otherwise. Of course, I'll look at his entire tenure instead of cherry-picking stats.
His first season in Columbus he was injured like 2 games into the season with WPG, and then was traded to Columbus when he came back and was trying to gain chemistry on a "retooling" team that just traded it's 1C away to get him
So how do we know he won't have another below 0.5 PPG season while having one of the worst +/- in the leagues (and far worse than any other forward on his team)? I mean after all, he's coming back from a LONG time of no hockey and would be on a new team that he'd need to get adjusted to which according to you should completely excuse the season. That's already one year of his 8.7x2 contract.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
But he never played more than 56 games. Also he scored

2020/21 - COVID season
2021/22 - 1 PPG (C - Jenner), if 82 g - 82 points/38 goals
2022/23 - 0,95 PPG (C - Roslovic, D - especially Peeke, Gudbranson, Berni), if 82 games - 78 points/33 goals, played better without Gaudreau
2023/24 - concussion in the 4th games, other games were influenced by it, 4 points in the last 5 games, from this 3 goals

According stats he made his partners better in 2022/23 season (I did not looked at 2021/22)

2021/22 and 2022/23 - scored more goals than Reinhart in 5v5.

And now, show me TOP player with similar conditions. People always say about him and Mathews. But I can't remember Auston would play with similar partners.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Why don't we only count the games where he's scored points? I'm sure his numbers would look unreal. Laine has been on and off for most of his career, it's not a situation where he had one bad season but was elite otherwise. Of course, I'll look at his entire tenure instead of cherry-picking stats.

So how do we know he won't have another below 0.5 PPG season while having one of the worst +/- in the leagues (and far worse than any other forward on his team)? I mean after all, he's coming back from a LONG time of no hockey and would be on a new team that he'd need to get adjusted to which according to you should completely excuse the season. That's already one year of his 8.7x2 contract.
Because you're being disingenuous, he had 18 games, not an entire season below 0.5 PPG...

The only other season he came close, but was still over .5ppg, he had a major injury to start the season and when he returned he was on a new team that was at the start of a rebuild...

You might not care as a random poster, but teams that are interested are going to do their research and break down his performance season by season, not his career averages. And when they break down his two worst seasons it's pretty easy to see why they were derailed and that those two "seasons" are major outliers.

Yeah his injuries are a concern, you have to stay healthy to be able to score. That will without a doubt impact his value....But when he's healthy, it's pretty obvious he produces. You think teams are just going to ignore those PPG seasons sandwiched in-between? Or the seasons before those? No they are going to want to get him as cheap as possible hoping he returns to that near PPG pace that he's played at for 6 of his 8 seasons in the league.

It's Waddells job to get the most value for him and if he can't, Laine remains a Jacket.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
But he never played more than 56 games. Also he scored

2020/21 - COVID season
2021/22 - 1 PPG (C - Jenner), if 82 g - 82 points/38 goals
2022/23 - 0,95 PPG (C - Roslovic, D - especially Peeke, Gudbranson, Berni), if 82 games - 78 points/33 goals, played better without Gaudreau
2023/24 - concussion in the 4th games, other games were influenced by it, 4 points in the last 5 games, from this 3 goals

According stats he made his partners better in 2022/23 season (I did not looked at 2021/22)

2021/22 and 2022/23 - scored more goals than Reinhart in 5v5.

And now, show me TOP player with similar conditions. People always say about him and Mathews. But I can't remember Auston would play with similar partners.
Should it matter? The guy can’t stay healthy. That has an effect on the team he is playing, especially in a cap world where he takes over 10% of the cap.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Laine would literally be the dream linemate for Pettersson.

Hoglander, Podkolzin, Poolman (IR), and a 3rd for Laine 50% retained or something

This trade offer notwithstanding, Laine on the books next year even at half his cap hit probably means goodbye Boeser

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Laine never had substance abuse problem. Why write anything if the level of writing is same as Eklund rumors??
What we have to put up with over on the Utah forum!
He would perform great on a line with Maccelli and Bjugstad.
I don't think that GMBA would trade anyone on the current roster or recent draft picks though, but they could take the whole cap hit.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Because you're being disingenuous, he had 18 games, not an entire season below 0.5 PPG...
I'm talking about the year where he had 21 points in 45 games while being -29 (11 worse than the next forward). It's funny how you use "entire season" as the standard to determine PPG, yet you use two-half seasons to claim that Laine is a PPG forward. Nice hypocrisy there.
The only other season he came close, but was still over .5ppg, he had a major injury to start the season and when he returned he was on a new team that was at the start of a rebuild...
So I'll ask again since you dodged it the first time, how do we know he won't have that same abysmal performance this upcoming season? He'd be on a new team and would have missed 64 games as opposed to the 11 he missed in his first year with the Jackets due to injury and the timing of the trade.
You might not care as a random poster, but teams that are interested are going to do their research and break down his performance season by season, not his career averages. And when they break down his two worst seasons it's pretty easy to see why they were derailed and that those two "seasons" are major outliers.
And how would you know teams won't care about his inconsistency issues? Are you not a random poster yourself? If the outliers are minimal, why is his career production not close to PPG? He was at a 67-point pace with the Jets and then 65 points with the Jackets, a career average of 66 which is far from PPG.
But when he's healthy, it's pretty obvious he produces.
Except for the seasons where he hasn't and there are a couple of them. Not sure why you're downplaying the 18 games he had this past season too, even if it's only 18 games, it's still nearly a quarter of a season which for a player who isn't dependable to play a lot of games is not something to ignore. His "outliers" are horrid.
You think teams are just going to ignore those PPG seasons sandwiched in-between?
Or the seasons before those? No they are going to want to get him as cheap as possible hoping he returns to that near PPG pace that he's played at for 6 of his 8 seasons in the league.
Do you think teams will only look at his best seasons while ignoring all his other flaws, extremely expensive contract, and uncertainty of being able to play a good chunk of the season?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Should it matter? The guy can’t stay healthy. That has an effect on the team he is playing, especially in a cap world where he takes over 10% of the cap.
His injuries in 2022/23:
First, see video, returned earlier

Second, ankle sprain, returned earlier
Third, COVID- 19
Fourth, stretching the triceps. Btw, he would probably return but we wanted TOP 3 spot in the draft. :cool:

2023/24
First, concussion
Second, illness
Third, broken clavicle, see video

Say me, which injury was chronical?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The CBJ team/Waddell need to trade him for ANYTHING, and as soon as possible. He’s a negative asset at his cap hit, and personally not the TYPE of player I want on the team I root for, or the type that helps you win important hockey games. Whether it’s simply the cap hit, or his usage and the amount of ice time he receives, he’s a DETRIMENT!!

He’s absolutely a 1 dimensional player who can only produce points, and even more so, only in the most beneficial situations. He has a very good shot and NOTHING else that the average offensive NHL player doesn’t bring to the ice.

Ignoring the contract he got, it’s borderline UNBELIEVABLE that the “center experiment” ever happened, and just a year or so ago he was touted as some sort of “mentor” for Fantilli. More coaches with the CBJ than 30 goal seasons. He’s a huge reason the CBJ team has been as bad as they’ve been recently.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Ya I know, I was responding to poster who said otherwise. You don’t have to tell me about shoulder injuries, I’ve had several,
Oh I know. I was agreeing with you. Figured I’d tag you in on my response to them. Sorry if that came across like I was disagreeing with you. The evolution of human shoulder was my capstone research project back in college, so I get protective when people are wrong about it like that other guy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
These "Laine attitude issues" sound like they come from the same source as Zegras' "attitude issues" . . . a horse's ass.

4th game with the CBJ….

Let us all not forget what the “culture” was and how the CBJ were looked at with Tortorella coaching the team just as Laine was brought in to the team.

It’s no coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad