TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
To be clear, I mainly want him to stop trying to be the primary puck carrier. The defensive skew I'm not sure about one way or the other, whether it's hurting his goal scoring.

Being a good defensive player often results in having the puck more which leads to more goals. Laine's main issue I think is that he's carrying it too much (which makes it hard to get open and shoot) and turning it over too much in traffic. Hard to score goals that way.

Yes he should be the main target after someone else carries it in and pulls defense to them, but Jackets have built the breakout using him mainly as the puck carrier over neutral zone. If he'd be able to focus more on the winger position than doing everything, a lot more offense could be expected of him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The only time Laine was ever a PPG player was 3 years ago when he played 2/3 of the year only.

Also, whoever has an expendable mid to late first round pick probably doesn’t have 8.7M available on the cap for a player that has on and off ice issues as well as health issues.

It might be a hard pill to swallow for Jacket’s fans but it’s going to be hard as is for the team to move out of that contract let alone expect a return a fills a need for the team. We need to be realistic here.

You’re discussing Laine as if he was a solid two-way player when in fact he’s lazy defensively, can’t carry a line and is one of the slowest player in the league all while having some sort of god complex thinking he’s one of the best player in the league and expect to be paid as such. Even if fully healthy I wouldn’t give that contract to the guy, let alone move positive assets to bring in on my team.

As for the bolded, you might be right. However, the chances that he doesn’t pan out as expected and that the gm regrets acquiring him and regretting it is much, much higher than Laine miraculously coming back healthy and playing a different (2-way) game and being committed both offensively and defensively on a regular basis.
Tell us you haven't watched Laine play without actually telling us.

Good times these threads are...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You said he's one of the slowest players in the league and is lazy defensively. You said he thinks he's got a god complex.

This nonsense tells me you don't watch him and you're influenced by weird hfboards lore.

He was the only Jackets player not on minuses 5 on 5 previous season. He IS a solid two way player as much as a winger should be. And if you watched his interviews or had an idea of his personality, you wouldn't think god complex because he's his own worst critic .

Laine press conference if they don't win a game
You haven’t answered the question.
Tell us you haven't watched Laine play without actually telling us.

Good times these threads are...
Break it down for me. You seem to know the player in/out

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Difficult situation, if Laine has put this all in his rear view mirror and has accepted his role as the scoring line winger he has tremendous value.

If he looks at himself as a franchise player and expects himself to carry his teams solo there's no knowing what hos future holds.

Get him to the best spot and probably it will end up well for whoever acquires him. I don't know if that spot is available though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The only teams that have cap space and a late 1st are Carolina, Calgary, Montreal (maybe), and Chicago. Calgary we can probably eliminate. Gonna be a tough needle to thread.
Not really. They have $14.7M left but still have to sign Jarvis, Necas and a #7D.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The only way I see Laine returning anything close to a 1st, even at 50% retention, is if he plays games early in the season with Columbus and shows he’s still got it. Way too much risk otherwise to give up an asset like a 1st for him. Even in that scenario, seems like more of a deadline move.

That said, I wouldn’t mind the Canes going after him, just don’t see a fit trade-wise. Necas is worth way more and has evidently already shot down an extension with the Jackets. The Canes also have limited cap space, after finalizing deals for Necas and Jarvis, so even if they somehow got CBJ to retain 50%, they’d likely still need another team involved to launder another bit of the cap hit, while at the same time placing Fast on LTIR. Would be a very complicated transaction.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Shoulder isn't collarbone, I injured my shoulder like 10 years ago and it's still not 100%

I said that, because Laine broke his collarbone 7 months ago.
The collarbone is absolutely part of the shoulder. The “shoulder” is not just the ball and socket of the glenohumeral joint. This is more complex than, say, the hip joint (and even then when we say “hip” colloquially we also include most of the pelvis and not just the literal place the head of the femur fits into the acetabulum). The AC joint between acromion (the pointy bone that makes the right angle of your shoulder) and clavicle (the collarbone) is one of the most important parts of shoulder anatomy because it facilitates lifting of the arm and stabilizes the joint for range of motion. You know, something vitally important to a shooter. We don’t know exactly what Laine had done, but a lot of “shoulder cleanup” involves this joint and its associated ligaments, and the fact Laine broke a clavicle last season would be a very good reason to need some cleanup there.

88E67110-477D-476C-8B83-762CC40A61F7.png

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
A late first isn't even worth that much. Columbus shouldn't plan their tactics this season around restoring Laine's trade value just to try and get a late first. The fact is he has a negative valued contract, and no future in Columbus. They should be fine clearing his entire cap hit for nothing if it's on the table. It probably isn't cause it's so late in the offseason and people have committed their salary. Maybe a team like San Jose would take him for free though.

Given they can't move him for nothing, they need to have an honest conversation and say the trade market's not there, kick ass this year in Columbus and we'll move you next offseason.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Daydreaming about Tampa getting him as 2RW (and to replace Stammer on the PP) on a three teams, double retention trade

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks could take the risk with no retention if the price is right. RW with either Zegras or Carlsson in a no pressure, small market. Ducks will need the money in 2 years, so the contract is perfect length. Just not sure what the offer would be or if other teams would offer more with no retention/cap dumps.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Break it down for me. You seem to know the player in/out
I'm sure you could find it in one of the other 100 threads, but I'll abbreviate...

Not a locker room cancer. Liked my teammates and actually been a leader in Columbus. Took Fantilli in to his home to help him adjust as a high pick with pressure. Offered to play center when CBJ decimated by injury 2 years ago. And more...

Not lazy. Since coming to Columbus his 2-way game has grown significantly. Hard to tell because the team has been awful as a whole. Back checks as well a anyone and plays 200 ft game. Never a selke candidate but not a liability.

Not slow. He's 6'5" and has a long stride. Looks slow and lazy because of height and long stride. Actually moves very well.

Still has a great shot but for whatever reason felt he needed to try to be a play maker since arriving in Columbus. He needs to use that elite skill. Tries to do too much. He's a shooter... he selfish.

Turns the puck over at each blue line
Wants to carry the puck when it's not his most consistent attribute. Again, doing too much, but trying to win games.

Ultimately, he's not the player he was when he was with the Jets. He's grown up and is an asset. Injuries and losing have taken their toll. Some team will get a motivated Laine.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looking NHL edge stats from 22-23 he got top speed of 22.56 when league avg is 22.05 so he's above average, and his speed bursts of 106 is above the avg of 70 in the 75th percentile. His skating distance is 161.88 and avg is 121.55 but this says "below 50th percentile" which seems like a mistake since that doesn't sound like a negative stat to me.

So anyways, according to these stats he should be an above average skater at least in terms of speed, which seems to contradict "one of the slowest skaters in the league."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Am I off base thinking that Utah is a pretty good fit? They can afford his caphit as it is, they probably want some stars and interesting names, and they have plenty of picks and prospects in their system.
I doubt very much BA would want Laine and his baggage. The Coyotes had Galchenyuk and his substance abuse problem, and Utah I'm sure, doesn't want another.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Correct Laine will never "drive" a line by himself, but Anyone who posts that Laine is either slow, lazy or does not back check, is just proving that they simply have not watched him play enough.

The injuries he suffered this season where not as a result of bad training or physique, they where both ugly cheap shots.

Patty has only briefly played with a bonafide nr 1C or even top 6 centers during his entire career. Brian Little, Paul Statsy, Boone Jenner and Jack Roslovic are neither.

The only pp1 quaterback who had a hard shot and could also pass it to him was Big Buff. Morrisey, Pionk, Werenski etc are are neither.

I hope Carolina or Anaheim find a way to make it work, he is a good kid who will pot 50 goals one day for sure.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
About what?
About this below
I don’t? Sure. Let’s try an hypothetical. Let’s say Laine right now didn’t have a contract and he was UFA;

By raise of hand, who here would give Laine a 8.7M a year contract right now and be happy with the terms? No one? Right!

Then why would you be expecting a team to not only acquire this contract but also pay premium assets while doing so.

Correct Laine will never "drive" a line by him self, but take Anyone who posts that Laine is either slow, lazy or does not back check, is just provning that they simply have not watched him play enough.

The injuries he suffered this season where not as a result of bad training or physique, they where both ugly cheap shots.

Patty has only briefly played with a bonafide nr 1C or even top 6 centers during his entire career. Brian Little, Paul Statsy, Boone Jenner and Jack Roslovic are neither.

The only pp1 quaterback who had a hard shot and could also pass it to him was Big Buff. Morrisey, Pionk, Werenski etc are not are neither.

I hope Carolina or Anaheim find a way to make it work, he is a good kid who will pot 50 goals one day for sure.
The guy has played less than 56 games per season over the last 4 years so when you say we don’t see him play, you are totally right

Reactions: dukeofjive

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The collarbone is absolutely part of the shoulder. The “shoulder” is not just the ball and socket of the glenohumeral joint. This is more complex than, say, the hip joint (and even then when we say “hip” colloquially we also include most of the pelvis and not just the literal place the head of the femur fits into the acetabulum). The AC joint between acromion (the pointy bone that makes the right angle of your shoulder) and clavicle (the collarbone) is one of the most important parts of shoulder anatomy because it facilitates lifting of the arm and stabilizes the joint for range of motion. You know, something vitally important to a shooter. We don’t know exactly what Laine had done, but a lot of “shoulder cleanup” involves this joint and its associated ligaments, and the fact Laine broke a clavicle last season would be a very good reason to need some cleanup there.

View attachment 897370
Ya I know, I was responding to poster who said otherwise. You don’t have to tell me about shoulder injuries, I’ve had several,

Reactions: squashmaple

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yet you nothing about them clearly comparing your stupid injury to a literal top tier professional athlete. Foolish.
Is there a point somewhere in there, I said he broke his collarbone and also had shoulder cleanup in this thread,
What did I get wrong, did I miss a third injury?
I said he should be fine for camp.
I also mentioned what Waddell said. He should know.
no idea on your point, if there is one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad