TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I’m gonna peg laine as a narcissist. It’s always about me me me, it can’t be Laine’s fault, it’s everyone else fault. And it what can you do for laine, not what laine will do for you. I had a friend like this, I didn’t realize it years and years later that all I did was give give give, it was always about him.
Of course he's a narcissist, pretty much all great goal scorers are narcissists. Matthews is pretty much the posterboy for narcissism. That's why the playmaker needs to be hard working, selfless and willing to give the goal scorer the spotlight, just like Marner on my Leafs. The problem with columbus is that they don't have anybody talanted enough and willing to put in the hard work in order to make Laine shine!

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Kevin here.

What some of y'all fatherless creatures can't quite grasp is the fact that losing one's dad might affect one's mental health. Patty's father was the Joe Jackson of hockey, after all.

"But Kevs, he passed away three years ago!"

Sure. Fellas who've lost a parent or two know this: it still hurts, even after a decade it hurts. Lost me pops back in 2001 and would still give anything for his advice.

Patty had some rough times back in Winnipeg. Wheeler is a notorious dickhead. Scheifele a lazy bum. In comes 19-year old Patrik. Scores three times in his first game. The vets don't like it. They are exposed, you see. Turns out Maurice is not a bad coach - they are just shit players. This is what people refuse to remember: Wheels and Scheif were the problem, not Laine. Why did Big Buff retire? Why did Laine want out? Why did PoMo walk away? Read between the lines, fellas.

Anyways, when the shit hit the fan in Winnipeg, Patty's dad was always just a phone call away. At some point he even moved in with his son. For a young immigrant boy, it must've been hugely important.

Fast forward to 2024. What went wrong in Columbus? Four coaches in three years, or something like that. Losing culture. GM is a big bozo. No centers. Injuries after injuries. No fellow countrymen. High school sweetheart dumped him. Dad is still dead. I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start.
What you don't realize is that he's not working at the McDonalds drive through. He's a millionaire athlete. Sure, losing a loved one sucks, but a lot of us have gone through that and we can't afford to sit on a guaranteed 8 mil contract.

Oh boohoo, life is tough for everyone and Laine chose one of the toughest professions there is, which is a professional athlete. You can't be mentally fragile in pro sports.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For all we know Laine had a traumatic bullying event growing up and wants no part of it as an adult.
What we do know is that Laine was a massive dick growing up and had very poor reputation in Tampere in youth hockey, culminating of course in his middle finger death threat episode in Hlinka 2015.

As for direct bullying, shrug. Haven't heard so, but it would be the least surprising thing in the world. I went to school with a national-level athlete and if Laine's attitude was even close to his(which it seems to have been judging by rumors, documented incidents, etc.) then I'd be more surprised if he was not a bully.

I do agree that Scheifele-Wheeler were the problem in Wpeg, though. Laine aside, Byfuglien doesn't just suddenly retire while leaving 6mil on the table for fun, and Maurice's comments about some players just being so good that they don't need coaching...

Last edited:
Reactions: illone84

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
What you don't realize is that he's not working at the McDonalds drive through. He's a millionaire athlete. Sure, losing a loved one sucks, but a lot of us have gone through that and we can't afford to sit on a guaranteed 8 mil contract.

Oh boohoo, life is tough for everyone and Laine chose one of the toughest professions there is, which is a professional athlete. You can't be mentally fragile in pro sports.
I agree. These athletes get paid more in a year then most get paid in a lifetime. They get access to the best medical care, 2 things a lot of us peasants need to worry about, money and healthcare.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Why hasn't he been willing to retain in order to get rid of Laine? Columbus won't need the capspace in the comming 2 years and retaining enough could actually bring in something of value. If a team got Laine for 4.7 million instead of 8.7 million they would most likely line up to give something of value back!
It's been stated multiple times, Waddell doesn't want to retain. He's said as much, if he wanted to retain a deal would be done by now.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So you have better information than the insiders and the players themselves. 😎
Insiders probably have the whole story already but are not allowed to let it out judt yet (or ever). This is common in the NHL and other pro sport leagues

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I have no insider knowledge about the bullying in Laine‘s locker rooms, but latest studies show that more than 90 percent have no issues or are even fine with bullying.

Reactions: thebus88

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Why hasn't he been willing to retain in order to get rid of Laine? Columbus won't need the capspace in the comming 2 years and retaining enough could actually bring in something of value. If a team got Laine for 4.7 million instead of 8.7 million they would most likely line up to give something of value back!
Probably because it's a lot of money and impacts your cap for the next 4 years.

The only direct comment that I recall was DW saying he didn't want to retain 50%. Does that mean he doesn't want to retain at all? Or would he be willing to retain less than 50%? None of us know.

The only thing we can conclude so far is the offers haven't been good enough (in DW's mind) to justify retention. That could change with 1 phone call. Or Laine could start the season in Columbus.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's been stated multiple times, Waddell doesn't want to retain. He's said as much, if he wanted to retain a deal would be done by now.
Well maybe Columbus should fire his ass and replace him with somebody who's willing to retain in order to ship Laine out! Retaining should be a no brainer, especially since Columbus doesn't need the cap space the next 2 years.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Well maybe Columbus should fire his ass and replace him with somebody who's willing to retain in order to ship Laine out! Retaining should be a no brainer, especially since Columbus doesn't need the cap space the next 2 years.
Easy to say when it's not your job and your some random posting on a board. I would imagine a man in the industry for 20+ years knows better than most folks here.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Easy to say when it's not your job and your some random posting on a board. I would imagine a man in the industry for 20+ years knows better than most folks here.
Yeah you would think so, but a lot of incompetent people seem to gravitate to these positions in hockey and in life in general. It's very rare to get the best guy for the job.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah you would think so, but a lot of incompetent people seem to gravitate to these positions in hockey and in life in general. It's very rare to get the best guy for the job.
Reportedly, a major reason why Jarmo was fired was because Columbus ownership is not happy with how much "dead" money the team is spending on current buyouts and fired coaches. I can't see ownership being okay with now also retaining on Laine just to move him.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Reportedly, a major reason why Jarmo was fired was because Columbus ownership is not happy with how much "dead" money the team is spending on current buyouts and fired coaches. I can't see ownership being okay with now also retaining on Laine just to move him.
Yeah ok that makes much more sense. Jarmo was really a disaster as a GM.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
What if ownership doesn’t want to retain?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah ok that makes much more sense. Jarmo was really a disaster as a GM.
I disagree. His moves from 2013-2020 tended to be pretty good leading the team to regularly making the playoffs and even the team's first playoffs round win.

The issue was 2021-2023 when he tried to shortcircuit a rebuild caused by an exodus of players which was outside his control.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I have no insider knowledge about the bullying in Laine‘s locker rooms, but latest studies show that more than 90 percent have no issues or are even fine with bullying.
Is this supposed to be funny? Kinda like "9 out of 10 people enjoy a gang rape"?

I was never bullied, but have seen what effects it can have on people. Effects lasting for years, maybe even decades.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I disagree. His moves from 2013-2020 tended to be pretty good leading the team to regularly making the playoffs and even the team's first playoffs round win.

The issue was 2021-2023 when he tried to shortcircuit a rebuild caused by an exodus of players which was outside his control.
Exactly.

And he was in the GM pickle of knowing he likely won't survive another rebuild so he tries to do it on the fly. Honestly Jarmo was good for us for the most part.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Obviously not. Seems though that Laine got stuck in yet another toxic locker room. He's either very unlucky or is actually part of the problem.
If you run into an A hole in the morning, you just ran into an A hole. If you run into nothing but A holes all day, you might just be the A hole.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
What if ownership doesn’t want to retain?
I don't think any team wants to take on an 8.7M player who for various reasons has averaged 44 games a season over the last 4 years. If Waddell refuses to retain, he probably isn't getting anything back.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Good for him, but I don’t get the excitement or desire for anyone to take him on. He’s 26 and has a history of issues. He’s not going to suddenly rediscover his goal scoring touch, which has been lost since December 2018, when he was just 20 years old.

Scored 101 goals in his first 179 games with just 2 years and 2 months of real-time passing.

Scored 103 goals in his last 301 games over the course of 5 years and 10 months of real-time passing once the 2024-2025 starts.

Classic textbook case that most bone-heads will salivate over to their ruin, of course.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good for him, but I don’t get the excitement or desire for anyone to take him on. He’s 26 and has a history of issues. He’s not going to suddenly rediscover his goal scoring touch, which has been lost since December 2018, when he was just 20 years old.

Classic textbook case that most bone-heads will salivate over to their ruin, of course.
Let's just assume he doesn't. He's still a PPG winger.

Reactions: Hntz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad