Confirmed with Link: Laine, 2nd 2026 to Montreal for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Personally I'm more worried about Monahan... signed to come play and raise his family with his best friend only to have him ripped away.
A tragic day for everybody, words are useless with the amount pain people are feeling in his circle and all of us. Terrible in so many ways.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Watched Patrik Laine's video in the Montreal Canadiens locker room and laughed. 😼 He will be sitting under photos of Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe and Bob Gainey. Although he could have already been sitting under John Tortorella's photos, no difference. 😏

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Visited the mains on this topic and got a little, welcome laugh at Habs fans unwavering belief they they are god's gift to hockey.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Visited the mains on this topic and got a little, welcome laugh at Habs fans unwavering belief they they are god's gift to hockey.
It's just hilarious to me that a month ago he was personal non grata, a worthless waste of a roster spot we'd have to pay multiple firsts and maybe even Fantilli to move, less than one-dimensional, possibly the worst defensive player in the league, etc. And then he gets traded to Montreal and suddenly it's the best deal in hockey, Waddell should be fired for the fleece job Hughes just pulled on him, Laine's a superstar who was only mailing it in because why would anyone want to be in Columbus, he's going to score 40 goals and 90 points because Nick Suzuki is the best center in the Atlantic, etc.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's just hilarious to me that a month ago he was personal non grata, a worthless waste of a roster spot we'd have to pay multiple firsts and maybe even Fantilli to move, less than one-dimensional, possibly the worst defensive player in the league, etc. And then he gets traded to Montreal and suddenly it's the best deal in hockey, Waddell should be fired for the fleece job Hughes just pulled on him, Laine's a superstar who was only mailing it in because why would anyone want to be in Columbus, he's going to score 40 goals and 90 points because Nick Suzuki is the best center in the Atlantic, etc.

It's enough to make me root for a crash and burn, unfortunately.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Amazing how quickly a player can go from wildly overrated to maybe the most underrated player in the league. :D

I was laughing about a mini Montreal v. Philly argument there where some of the Habs fans are like "Laine chose us because we're better" (which certainly could be a factor) and completely rejecting that idea that Torts' presence in Philly could possibly be a factor (which seems a little naive).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's times like this that it's worth remembering the majority of Habs fans are peeking in, facepalming at their "brethren", then turning around and walking away 'cause they don't want to have to answer for those types.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
It's enough to make me root for a crash and burn, unfortunately.
The way these Habs fans simply don't seem to be aware of the fact their team has finished 32nd, 28th, and 28th the past three seasons because they're in full rebuild just mystifies me. Their team is no better than the rest of the bottom five. They're not special or uniquely positioned to make the playoffs this season after a couple years in the muck. Nick Suzuki seems like a cool guy, but he is very much the eighth best 1C in his division (I'd say Matthews, Barkov, Stutzle, Point, Larkin, Lindholm, Tage, Suzuki in that order).

Amazing how quickly a player can go from wildly overrated to maybe the most underrated player in the league. :D

I was laughing about a mini Montreal v. Philly argument there where some of the Habs fans are like "Laine chose us because we're better" (which certainly could be a factor) and completely rejecting that idea that Torts' presence in Philly could possibly be a factor (which seems a little naive).
It's Laine. Of course he'd choose "not where Torts is" before pretty much any other deciding factors. I'm honestly surprised by a rumor that Philly was interested in him. Truly not sure what Briere is trying to do. Michkov and Luchanko is not enough for the core of a contender.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The way Habs fans simply don't seem to be aware of the fact their team has finished 32nd, 28th, and 28th the past three seasons because they're in full rebuild just mystifies me. Their team is no better than the rest of the bottom five. They're not special or uniquely positioned to make the playoffs this season after a couple years in the muck. Nick Suzuki seems like a cool guy, but he is very much the eighth best 1C in his division (I'd say Matthews, Barkov, Stutzle, Point, Larkin, Lindholm, Tage, Suzuki in that order).
When I point out how they've been neck-and-neck with the Jackets, thankfully the slim majority response is still "oh, hey, fair point, that's kind of interesting", but there's still a significant minority that's all "but we're O6 and special and y'all are nobodies" and it's just, yeah, okay, whatever, thanks for sharing.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's times like this that it's worth remembering the majority of Habs fans are peeking in, facepalming at their "brethren", then turning around and walking away 'cause they don't want to have to answer for those types.
I know it's #NotAllHabsFans

But it's a lot more fun to think it is all Habs fans.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I know it's #NotAllHabsFans

But it's a lot more fun to think it is all Habs fans.
When I point out how they've been neck-and-neck with the Jackets, thankfully the slim majority response is still "oh, hey, fair point, that's kind of interesting", but there's still a significant minority that's all "but we're O6 and special and y'all are nobodies" and it's just, yeah, okay, whatever, thanks for sharing.
Temporarily embarrassed millionaires hockey fans.

And yeah, it's a small minority compared to the rest of Habs fandom. It's just like with Leafs fans, though. The counting stats are against them because a small percentage of a much bigger pool is still a lot of people.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The problem is we ARE nobodies until we can prove we're not.
I agree, but Montreal hasn't done anything since the early 90s and haven't won anything since the NHL has massively expanded. Their era of dominance had what, less that 20 teams in the league?

Reactions: squashmaple

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Perhaps, but as a Buckeyes football fan myself, I have more than a little sympathy for folks who are part of a very large fandom that has a correspondingly large bunch of loudmouth arrogant assholes. :)
So you're saying you don't want Ryan Day fired after he failed to cover the 50 point spread versus Akron?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Well, fans be fans. Canadian fans even more so and among Canadian fans Montreal might have the best and the worst... But yeah, it's hilarious and/or infuriating at times. If you ever feel like this place is bipolar or overreacting to a bad game or whatever, go stalk the boards of pretty much any Canadian team and see what it's like when things are not going well.

I think it's in part just the level of passion/sense of importance for hockey and the scale of it. And as usual, often times it's of course not the same fans, though following the discussion around Laine, I was surprised in how many cases it actually was :D You could go through post histories of some people and find fans who went from "wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole even if we got him from free" to "wow a what a steal, I bet he's gonna score 50" or something like that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad