Seravalli: Lafreniere and Rangers working 8-year deal worth more than $8 million AAV

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They both deserve their money.

Those who complain about Igor are ungrateful, but Lafreniere has probably been our second or third best forward since the start of last year, including the playoffs. But he doesn’t get PP1 time because that unit works and is never changed. It deflates his point totals. Lafreniere had 57 last year and nearly all of it was even strength.

That was the best hockey of the stretch, but he’s been playing great since the start of last year. That wasn’t anything far above the other games.

I know I shit on Igor a lot but even if you think he's elite and the best goalie in the league why is it some crazy take that your asset allocation shouldn't be so slanted towards a goalie? If your goalie is your best player your team isn't good enough to win the cup.

Draft position really means nothing when they reach the NHL.

After one season sure you can say he’s adjusting, but when he keeps letting down in pretty much every aspect, no the “he’s about to breakout”, “watch the games”, “advanced stats” etc start to just be blind homerism

I mean it took Laf quite a bit of time too. Lots of players are late bloomers. And yeah at some point draft position means little but all things being equal especially early in his career it's definitely a data point. There's a reason someone gets drafted high.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know I shit on Igor a lot but even if you think he's elite and the best player in the league why is it some crazy take that your asset allocation shouldn't be so slanted towards a goalie? If your goalie is your best player your team isn't good enough to win the cup.
Would I prefer to have McDavid or MacKinnon over Igor? Probably. I don’t disagree with the idea that you’d rather have that elite 1C than goaltender, but you’re dealt the hand you are. Teams can win the Cup with an elite goaltender. They can also not win the Cup with an elite center. The best players in the league are very hard to acquire. When you have one, you don’t just decide they aren’t a good fit for your mix. You don’t haggle with them over money. You haggle with members 4-20 of your team over money.

If you can’t make it work with them, you need to rebuild. There is no plausible scenario where the Rangers ditch Igor after this season and we are a Cup Contender. If it happens, we need to start rebuilding and deciding who can be part of a Cup Contender in 5+ years, which means everyone older than Fox (at the least, and maybe him too) needs to go.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Would I prefer to have McDavid or MacKinnon over Igor? Probably. I don’t disagree with the idea that you’d rather have that elite 1C than goaltender, but you’re dealt the hand you are. Teams can win the Cup with an elite goaltender. They can also not win the Cup with an elite center. The best players in the league are very hard to acquire. When you have one, you don’t just decide they aren’t a good fit for your mix. You don’t haggle with them over money. You haggle with members 4-20 of your team over money.

If you can’t make it work with them, you need to rebuild. There is no plausible scenario where the Rangers ditch Igor after this season and we are a Cup Contender. If it happens, we need to start rebuilding and deciding who can be part of a Cup Contender in 5+ years, which means everyone older than Fox (at the least, and maybe him too) needs to go.

I'd love to see what was the last that team won the cup with a goalie as their best player though. Devils in 2003?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad