Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Problems with this team under Berube.
1. Oel on the first power play isnt working, Reilly moves the puck faster and has more chemistry with Matthews etc.

2. If Healthy Murray should be backing up Stolarz rather the Hildeby.

3. The Tampa game was the best ive seen this team play(fast), next game injects the slowest player in the league Reaves.

4. Take Matthews off the penalty kill(its of waist of energy).

5. Play the first unit power play with Reilly for the normal minute and a half.

6.Probably move Tavares back to second center. Dont need to change whats worked for 5 years.

7. Play Stolarz as our number one ,like Jack Campbell , Woll has proved nothing.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'll be honest, I just didn't watch it when I saw they were clearly just playing like garbage.

You guys should try it, just way better quality of life.
The beauty of a remote in your hand is being able to switch games.

They played great on Monday, and I may regret missing last Saturday’s game against the Rangers if they continue this skid. But, on the bright side, I really enjoyed seeing McDavid in Dallas and we had a blast at the Red River Dance Hall and Saloon, and we may be doing more things like that on Saturday evenings.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Watch the highlights from last game...in that short package, the Leafs make two between the legs passes :laugh:. No wonder Berube was talking about getting too cute again.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
tough as nails no cute stuff coach continues to send out PP1 to piss away PPs earned by other lines. at least leave Reaves out play crease after he draws that penalty in 3rd.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
If team plays good in reg season, whiny mitch and slow tavares will get their contracts by April. If they continue to struggle like this, no one will sign them for the money they want. Tavares is desperate to sell some shady amulets, so definitely will ask for the moon. Not even mentioning marner. So it could be a silver lining for the team. At least we can find some positive side in this situation.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The beauty of a remote in your hand is being able to switch games.

They played great on Monday, and I may regret missing last Saturday’s game against the Rangers if they continue this skid. But, on the bright side, I really enjoyed seeing McDavid in Dallas and we had a blast at the Red River Dance Hall and Saloon, and we may be doing more things like that on Saturday evenings.
First time ever we’re what 7 games in and I haven’t watched a full game. I’m not even upset about it because it’s me switching the channel or throwing on Netflix to continue a show that’s more entertaining than this team unfortunately.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Friends from Montreal came in yesterday. We went and played in Grossman's last night and down to Niagara Falls today, so I just watched the 'game?'

I know Matty isn't a defenceman, but on the first goal he didn't clear the player so Woll could see the shot, or block it. Looked like Woll didn't see it until too late.

Wow! Matty puckwatching on the second.

JT has got to be dropped from the PP. I wouldn't mind trying someone instead of Mitch too.

Sloppy play leading to the breakaway, but woll played by Well. :sarcasm:

Two nice passes - JT and Mo - and a good shot by OEL for the goal.

Three Leafs in the corner outnumbered by two Blues, and Marner had already blown the zone. Tanev might have tipped it - if not Woll should have had it.

Tavares centering Knies and Nylander to start the third? Not my choice, but it's a change.

Bad decision by Willy and it looked like Woll cheated on the pass.

Bit if a bad bounce on the last one, and OEL got caught flat-footed. Pulling the goalie should be the same as a PP - GET JT THE F*** OFF THE ICE! (I'm not blaming him for the goal.)

Mitch, Matty, Mo, Willy, JT, and OEL all sat the last 3:18, after the empty net goal. Mitch, Matty, Willy, and JT all played only 6 shifts and under 6 minutes in the third - maybe Berube is as pissed as we are?

We had 41 shots? I think they forgot the decimal place. :huh:

Reading the game thread:

Nineteen67 said: "Marner showing that lack of speed."

thewave responded "Launch him to Mars"

My first thought: "He'd never attain escape velocity."

I'll let myself out.

Reactions: Racer88

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Matthews has great defensive tools. Has the elite active stick on the backcheck, is a shot blocking machine, can be dogged defensively, be a faceoff machine, and was called an elite drive train player when drafted. That's why people whisper Selke from time to time...

But the problem I see is he's not actually an elite drive train player at all and gives you something random and different on the effort scale every night of the week. Overall, I'd say it's somewhat hit and miss and kind of overrated.

There will be lazy moments for all players. My point is that Matthews was voted as a Selke finalist just last year. Meaning hes a top 3 defensive player in the entire league. He is not a bad defensive player, and that didnt flip after 7 games of a new season. He isnt lazy either. Conpared to other stars, hes a very good defensive player.

The big problem is his line isnt producing goals, that is where hes lacking compares to other stars.

It might be a coincidence, but this is the third year in a row that he and Marners couldnt score 5v5. Yet they are still together.
Well that shot block attempt by Matthews was really bad, he looked like a ballerina trying to block a shot, the only good thing he did was block Woll's view and the second PP goal of the Blues he got suckered over to the left side leaving the whole middle of the ice in front of Woll wide open. That is very bad defensive play by him and the rest of the fellas on the ice.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
8 games in... we're done ... sorry everyone... see you next season... (note the sarcasm).

Holy moly... I hate the last couple of games but for f*** sakes. Get off the ledge.

They'll right the ship.

Reactions: Evilhomer

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs have locker room issues from my stance. Who is the main problem though?
Matthews compete level issues his whole career, appears more and more arrogant.
Marner is arrogant in media scrums, looks like a rookie vs physical teams.
Both overpaid, both shows signs of not caring in big games or any random game they choose.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well that shot block attempt by Matthews was really bad, he looked like a ballerina trying to block a shot, the only good thing he did was block Woll's view and the second PP goal of the Blues he got suckered over to the left side leaving the whole middle of the ice in front of Woll wide open. That is very bad defensive play by him and the rest of the fellas on the ice.

There’s a real eye test difference between when Matthews is actually playing hard and when he’s mailing it in looking busy busy. Fishing pucks, coasting and the flamingo aren’t great looks.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
8 games in... we're done ... sorry everyone... see you next season... (note the sarcasm).

Holy moly... I hate the last couple of games but for f*** sakes. Get off the ledge.

They'll right the ship.

This ship runs into the same iceberg every year so people are frustrated that we appear to be on the same heading. To use your analogy.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This ship runs into the same iceberg every year so people are frustrated that we appear to be on the same heading. To use your analogy.
So you agree or not? Either way it doesn't really matter. You should know what I mean. It's early season.

like I said... 8 games in... Leafs are done?

This equates to playoff success? Not right now really. What they do then matters.

This shit right now if fluff ... is what I'm saying.

By late November if they're 500... then you can bump this and I'll eat crow.

I honestly wonder though why some "Leaf fans" not saying you nesscarily... but why watch?

Why be so upset and disappointed? Wait until the playoffs then and judge.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

They'll right the ship.
This is the same stuff they have been doing for the last 8 years. When exactly will the right the ship

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This is the same stuff they have been doing for the last 8 years. When exactly will the right the ship
You've had many good posts... I'm just saying let's wait more than 8 games. I'm going with the American Thanksgiving range. Usually 20 to 25 games by then.

What do you suggest though?

I know that I know ... f*** all... compared to the guys there everyday.

You heard it here, Leafs will get crushed by Boston and Berube will bail and say he saw lots of positive things. 5-2 Bs.
No... and I didn't hate Keefe... but now ... we got the chief and he ain't putting up with no beef.

And Leafs winning 4 to 3threeth

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
You've had many good posts... I'm just saying let's wait more than 8 games. I'm going with the American Thanksgiving range. Usually 20 to 25 games by then.

What do you suggest though?

I know that I know ... f*** all... compared to the guys there everyday.

No... and I didn't hate Keefe... but now ... we got the chief and he ain't putting up with no beef.

And Leafs winning 4 to 3threeth
Ya, I have not totally given up on Berube whipping them into shape but so far it’s not looking great. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad