Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Last year they were 6-5-2 (basically 6-7) after 13 games, isn't that a bit worse than what they are through just 8? And that was after losing 2 of their last 3 to the Sens and Sabres by a combined score of 12-7.

2 years ago they were 4-4-2 after 10 (basically 4-6)

3 years ago they were 2-4-1 (2-5) after 7 games, riding a 4 game losing streak.

This is nothing new, it certainly should not be new to the fanbase. THIS is what this team does early in the season.

Same thing happens every year

Start off at 500ish in October. Everybody panics

Do amazing in November.
Speed wobble ok into the Break.
Get back on track around Allstar/winter.
Back into the playoffs in 2nd or 3rd

Go down 3-1 or 3-2 in the series. Storm back to make game 7.

Lose 2-1 and blame bounces/puck luck.

It’s been the same in about what 7 of 8 years?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Seems to be pretty bleak here. Not sure the solution cause I don’t think any actual substantial change will occur.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone who thinks they've already tuned the coach out doesn't understand sports very well.

In a couple weeks these past two games will be long forgotten.

Reactions: Budz and BallardEra

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Put up 40 shots, but wasn't a very inspiring effort again, it's tough to say why they are having a slow start. The PK looks fine, but the Powerplay and just general skill they have isn't there. Marner looks off, Tavares looks terrible (not sure how badly his "sickness" is causing this), team can't make simple passes/plays on the PP, they just look discombobulated.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I thought that they Played poorly, but they're .500 after 8 games, it's still early. I can't believe someone threw their jersey on the ice.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought that they Played poorly, but they're .500 after 8 games, it's still early. I can't believe someone threw their jersey on the ice.
Not hard to believe, we have a pretty 'special' fan base.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Seems to be pretty bleak here. Not sure the solution cause I don’t think any actual substantial change will occur.
How's Cowan doing in London thus far? We may need him to become a core member pretty soon cause I don't believe they can bring this core back next season in tact.

Reactions: LDN

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The lack of speed throughout the lineup makes it difficult to play dump and chase and then pressure the forecheck.
Knies is a nice player but his hands are not good enough for the top line. I’d keep McMann there or try Robertson who’s always buzzing around.

When Minton and Jarnkrok are healthy there’s no reason to play Reaves.

Reactions: BallardEra

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't even think Bruins are a good team any longer.
It’s not looking that way early.
It really should be Florida/Toronto 1/2 with Ottawa/Tampa/Boston fighting for the 3rd spot and/or wild card. If we aren’t at least top 2 here something is wrong.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews looked good even if the stat sheet looks bad last night. Only one of the big 4 who gave a shit. Only player who looked dangerous on the horrible powerplay.

OEL again, was the best defenceman on the team. Reilly was the worst, that 7.5m contract is going to end being very bad. Morgan is a declining player.

Marner looked like a 3rd liner again. Standing still, perimeter orientating passing, not going to the net, not shooting enough. Broken record on this. His defense was non-existent too.

Nylander was sloppy, no attention to detail, not battling for pucks. It was a shame, because Domi played hard and well and was buzzing.

Tavares is incredibly washed up. Definitely at the level Spezza was when he was here. He's too slow to hit his old spots. He's terrible in open ice, because his speed has fallen off even further. He's going to end with 40 pts or less.

Kind of interested on how this goes moving forward

Matthews had his finger prints on 3x Blues goals, each play worse than the last. First goal was a dumb screen what can you do. Second goal was a failure to protect the slot against a third-fourth liner. Third goal was a grenade from McCabe turned into casual failure to compete play and turnover in the corner.

Barring the Game 2 Florida debacle where he and Marner basically lost them the series in a 10 minute stretch that might have been Matthews worst game in a long time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s not looking that way early.
It really should be Florida/Toronto 1/2 with Ottawa/Tampa/Boston fighting for the 3rd spot and/or wild card. If we aren’t at least top 2 here something is wrong.
Why should it be Florida/Toronto fighting for first?
Sure, the Atlantic is weaker this year, but the Leafs are one of reasons it is weaker.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Anyone who thinks they've already tuned the coach out doesn't understand sports very well.

In a couple weeks these past two games will be long forgotten.
Leafs will go on a heater in November like they always do. There should be no concerns from anyone.

Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think these guys love to play that run and gun style looking to pad stats.

At some point they will have to buy into the new way of playing that Berube is trying to instill.

Let's see where they're at after 20 games.

I think this is a perfect assessment of this team, lots of wannabe hero attention craving behaviour.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1729861411105.png

Maple Leafs head coach Craig Berube was less than impressed with the defensive play of his top line on Thursday and gave an earful to Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and Matthew Knies.​

The Leafs welcomed the St. Louis Blues to Scotiabank Arena on Thursday after returning home from Columbus following a stinker of an effort on Tuesday on the second half of a back-to-back. The hope was that the Leafs would bring a much better effort to the table on Thursday. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

1729863293903.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad