Connor McMichael - The real deal or hot start?

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Would have been funnier if he made the "we have Connor McMichael at home" comment.

Edit: How has Hendrix Lapierre been? I remember him being a faller.
He was the AHL playoff MVP last year and hopes were high going into this season but he had an uneven camp and has been quiet so far. I think he’ll be fine though.

I wouldn’t be surprised if either him or McMichael gets traded for the right package though as the caps have a bit of a logjam at center.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Based on my limited understanding of him, he always had the tools to be a top 6 forward. Like a lot of players, his development was not perfectly linear. Now he’s looking like a top 6 player!
A lot of blokes struggle with this concept with development when wondering why a player hasn't figured it out yet. It's rarely that straightforward.

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Edit: How has Hendrix Lapierre been? I remember him being a faller.
He's been slowly developing. Time in Hershey did him good. He won the Calder Cup MVP en route to their B2B championship in the AHL last summer. I tried to watch him live a couple of nights back. He was steady, if unspectacular. That might be the part of his game they want him working on, though. That third line has chemistry and identity issues it's still working through, but he was solid enough. The line isn't relied on to pitch in a ton of offense, and his current role is not matched to his skill set terribly well. As injuries come, I expect he'll get chances in the top six.

Fully two lines are hot right now. It's not easy to develop line chemistry with only two lines and the bench to work with, but Carbery isn't going to mess with what the Dubois and Dowd lines have cooking at present. He's leaving those intact. The coaches are shuffling the first and third line personnel around to find fits.

With the veteran fourth line playing so well, that also means the personnel on the third line rotates out of the lineup to give players playing time. Lapierre isn't so well situated as to be guaranteed of playing 82 games yet.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Drake and others have made many of the same points that came to my mind. But just to reinforce a few things ...

-His first 3 years post draft (he played 1 game in the NHL in his D+1 year) were under Laviolette, who has a long reputation for not handling young players/prospects well. I don't have the facts to know if that rep is deserved or not, but it might be a part. Carbery, as a long-time AHL coach, seems to handle young guys pretty well.

-There were prospect analysts who always thought McMichael would be a better wing than center in the NHL. He's always had good goal scoring ability. Part of his success so far could simply be that he's been put in the best position to succeed.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He probably is not an NHL center.
wat. He's consistently been a much better center then he has a winger in his career, it's why his good play at wing has been so surprising. He's basically tailor made player for center, we just have a log jam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad