Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Did New Jersey keep losing in 1st rounds, and lay an egg for their captain in the first game back. How about losing to a zamboni driver?
The fact you think it's comparable is embarrassing.
Uh, we're talking about the same Jersey team that missed the playoffs for damn near forever and was one of the worst teams in the league for half a decade? In any event, I was more referring to the fact that this "playing the former coach" or "playing for the new coach against his former team" idea is meaningless.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Better Pt% and win % and they're also missing Barkov and Tkachuk. They've also had a harder schedule than us, Leafs have no excuse losing to Montreal, Columbus and St.Louis.
I don't disagree that Florida is a good team, but they certainly aren't running away with the division. Hell, Ottawa has a better winning percentage at the moment, which should tell you how seriously we should be taking the standings right now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You keep posting your passive aggressive comments since your boys got fired they might end up hiring you eventually.

I am not much of a yeller, I'm not sure I'd be a good coach... it seems to be the standard that our fanbase wants.

Thanks for the support though, I know you think I am a great hockey mind now at least.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't disagree that Florida is a good team, but they certainly aren't running away with the division. Hell, Ottawa has a better winning percentage at the moment, which should tell you how seriously we should be taking the standings right now.
They're winning games against good teams while missing their best players and this is coming off of back to back finals appearances. Until another team truly steps up I'm picking them.

Reactions: stickty111

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I think that is dramatic.

But, it is a struggle for the players to align to what the coach wants shift in and shift out. And it is a struggle for the coach to find a way to get through to his players, and work with them to ensure they are all on the same page.

As brutal as those last two games were, we all (should have) know(n) there would be struggles in the first quarter of the season as the players and coaches adjust.

I don't think it is some us vs them kind of thing like you suggest. And if it is, trade Marner now to show these assholes who is in charge (i.e. not them).
I will respectfully disagree with you here. Adjusting to a new game plan or system is just a cop out. These are professionals with years of experience. It doesn't take a lot to learn new systems. Jow many times have we seen coaches get fired and teams reverse course (Edmonton comes to mind).

It is clearly lack of effort that kills This team Every year. Win or lose they could care less, they live like God's in this organization. You would think the fans in the stands that pay for this garbage would be more outraged. This team has been boring to watch since the Habs series. Not entertaining at all. Wish they would ship out some of the high paid help here and build a team that gives a sh!t, that hates to lose. There is a reason the rentals don't stick around......the core is rotten!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Uh, we're talking about the same Jersey team that missed the playoffs for damn near forever and was one of the worst teams in the league for half a decade? In any event, I was more referring to the fact that this "playing the former coach" or "playing for the new coach against his former team" idea is meaningless.
Once again, not comparable. You already know that though.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I am not much of a yeller, I'm not sure I'd be a good coach... it seems to be the standard that our fanbase wants.

Thanks for the support though, I know you think I am a great hockey mind now at least.
You seem to know everything and love analytics so you should have much bigger dreams than being a head coach. Pittsburgh could use you for their rebuild in about 1-2 years and you can finally build that dynasty.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You seem to know everything and love analytics so you should have much bigger dreams than being a head coach. Pittsburgh could use you for their rebuild in about 1-2 years and you can finally build that dynasty.

Obviously, I could, my hockey knowledge is off the chart, thank you for the support, but it's just not an interest of mine.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Like with the other 2 coaches, either the coaches don't know what they are doing or the players have no respect for the coaches and just do what they want.I sorta believe it is an exactor. They have no idea what to do when they have the puck. Columbus seemed well coached and moved the puck extremely well. The players could be thinking, "don't tell me how to play, I'm the best in the league."

It will be interesting to see if Matthews has a hissy fit after being publicly humiliated on national television.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I will respectfully disagree with you here. Adjusting to a new game plan or system is just a cop out. These are professionals with years of experience. It doesn't take a lot to learn new systems. Jow many times have we seen coaches get fired and teams reverse course (Edmonton comes to mind).

It is clearly lack of effort that kills This team Every year. Win or lose they could care less, they live like God's in this organization. You would think the fans in the stands that pay for this garbage would be more outraged. This team has been boring to watch since the Habs series. Not entertaining at all. Wish they would ship out some of the high paid help here and build a team that gives a sh!t, that hates to lose. There is a reason the rentals don't stick around......the core is rotten!
Ok.

I say it does take a lot to change a players habits. And when you have to change an entire cores habits it's even harder because you don't have anyone to point to to say do it like him, no one that really matters anyway. It's not a cop out.

The core is rotten. Fully agree on the free agents not sticking around.

Berube is their last chance imo.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
View attachment 921222

I just made this...Just gonna leave it here for fun..
Hopefully I don't use it often...Hopefully.
1000009840.png

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They're winning games against good teams while missing their best players and this is coming off of back to back finals appearances. Until another team truly steps up I'm picking them.
The champ is the champ until proven otherwise.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What happened? Like seriously what happened? They were playing very structured hockey prior to the last two games. Did they collectively forgot? Or is there a huge flu bugs in the locker room.

Reactions: hullsy47

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews has great defensive tools. Has the elite active stick on the backcheck, is a shot blocking machine, can be dogged defensively, be a faceoff machine, and was called an elite drive train player when drafted. That's why people whisper Selke from time to time...

But the problem I see is he's not actually an elite drive train player at all and gives you something random and different on the effort scale every night of the week. Overall, I'd say it's somewhat hit and miss and kind of overrated.
Agree to some extent. As I do think AM slacks off when MM is on his wing. Since he tends to just go to his spots and wait for the pass to come and shoot.
While AM plays a much more overall game when he plays with other players except for Willie.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Couldn't the exact same thing be said about New Jersey after they lost to the Leafs at the start of this season?
Hmmmm, last time I checked New Jersey has 3 Stanley Cups since we last won one and doesn't have a history of choking in Game 7s.

But thanks for reminding me of another total Leafy game. On their way to winning one of those cups they were playing the Leafs in Game 6 a must win for Toronto and we managed a grand total of 6 shots on net, not only the lowest for any playoff game, but the lowest total of any game in the history of the NHL.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
The way I see it, the new way they're playing is still a work in progress. It's not a bad thing for us to play mediocre hockey early on while the group really figures it out.

Obviously it can't continue for too long, but I wouldn't say I'm too concerned yet.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad