LA Kings the most disastrously run franchise in the league

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: also yes

Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille are the worst thing to happen to the Kings. Both as player and as “executives”.

Woah woah, as executives sure, but they both had Hall of Fame playing careers and have their numbers retired by the team...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Woah woah, as executives sure, but they both had Hall of Fame playing careers and have their numbers retired by the team...
Yeah, and both won nothing with the Kings. The same loser mentality of "slap it together, get in and anything can happen" was what their Kings tenure as players was all about, and no surprise it's how they're running the team now too. There are plenty of kings fans that would like to take their banners down from the rafters and burn them, after wrapping them with it.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
You should see every move the Pens have made from the moment the cup was handed out in 2017. All topped off my horrendous coaching from Sullivan.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Kings save 3.25 million dollars and reduce the years from 7 to 3. How is this bad for them?

Dubois wasn't working, and it's like the third team where that's been said, even if Kuemper is a way overpaid backup it's still probably better than the situation they were in with an underperforming much more expensive center for over twice the amount of time.

The Dubois deal was the bad one, this is making the best of a bad situation. Even if Dubois can find his footing again in Washington. Also given his age and looking at some other goalies that age in recent years, there's a chance Kuemper could be on LTIR at some point in the three years.
Yeah it takes some serious mental gymnastics to criticize LA for both PLD trades. Doesn't make any sense.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Interesting interview on Canuck's Talk on SN650 earlier today with Bukala. He speculates that the Caps might buy-out PLD and it will cost them under 2 mil a year. (for practically forever so there is that...) They get out of the Kemper contract and ditch PLD...kind of a good idea tbh.
Why wouldn't they just have bought out Kuemper then? Buying out PLD leaves a nearly 4 mil cap hit for 2027-2030, the Kuemper buyout seems way more manageable?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
The weird part for me is how short Dean Lombardi's leash was in the aftermath of winning two Cups. Blake has lasted 8+ seasons now with 0 playoff round wins to show for it.

Things got messy at the end of Lombardi's tenure, but the comparison between the two in terms of success vs leeway is mindboggling.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The weird part for me is how short Dean Lombardi's leash was in the aftermath of winning two Cups. Blake has lasted 8+ seasons now with 0 playoff round wins to show for it.

Things got messy at the end of Lombardi's tenure, but the comparison between the two in terms of success vs leeway is mindboggling.
Because he trusted Luc and Blake not to go over his head.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
It pains me to say it, but how about the Sabres and might as well mention the Canucks?

Both entered the league in 1970, and have what, 5 Stanley Cup Final appearances between them? Across 108 combined NHL seasons, 0 cups. I think the Kings are safe from being labeled a disaster before some other teams.

Hey, add the Leafs since 1967 to that and it becomes 165 years with no cups across 3 franchises. Ouch :(

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Neither won anything in LA, left to join all star teams, won a Cup, and then returned to LA on their terms for huge money.

Their behavior as execs is the cherry on top.

Because for all his faults Lombardi held people accountable and instituted a real culture of winning in the organization. That made him a lot of enemies, most of all Robitaille.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Yeah, and both won nothing with the Kings. The same loser mentality of "slap it together, get in and anything can happen" was what their Kings tenure as players was all about, and no surprise it's how they're running the team now too. There are plenty of kings fans that would like to take their banners down from the rafters and burn them, after wrapping them with it.
Uhm Rob blake was a top ten dman when he played most seasons, while I can agree with his mistakes as a GM that should and does not take away anything as a player, also Gretzky, Dionne and lots of other very good players never won shit with the Kings, winning a cup does not devalue you as a player. And also this post makes you seem very bitter and ignorant of the truth. They were very good players, on the management side? maybe they suck I can live with that, but as Players? No they were both very good.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Lol
Lol, what are you on about? Robitaille was a huge contributor for the Kings when they were absolutely loaded with talent and making Stanley Cup finals, and Blake was a dominating force and loyal franchise staple. Both are bonafide hall of famers who showed a fair amount of loyalty to the Kings over the years and were far from a problem for the team. Both went on to win Stanley Cups with other franchises. Are you even a Kings fan?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Lol

Lol, what are you on about? Robitaille was a huge contributor for the Kings when they were absolutely loaded with talent and making Stanley Cup finals, and Blake was a dominating force and loyal franchise staple. Both are bonafide hall of famers who showed a fair amount of loyalty to the Kings over the years and were far from a problem for the team. Both went on to win Stanley Cups with other franchises. Are you even a Kings fan?
I’ve probably been a kings fan longer than you’ve been alive. Watched the entirety of Robitaille and Blake’s playing careers. Was a season ticket holder from 2001-2014 and was there in person for every single home playoff game including both cup clinching games in 2012 and 2014.

So yeah.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I will say outside fans lecturing Kings fans 'well akshully' on Blake and Luc's loyalty to the franchise was not on my bingo card for this summer

saying more about it will get me infracted hard

Reactions: Frank Drebin

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
I’ve probably been a kings fan longer than you’ve been alive. Watched the entirety of Robitaille and Blake’s playing careers. Was a season ticket holder from 2001-2014 and was there in person for every single home playoff game including both cup clinching games in 2012 and 2014.

So yeah.
I'm 42, so I strongly doubt it, but maybe.

The point is that what you're saying makes no sense. Blake and Robitaille had nothing to do with the construction of the teams on which they played and they were pillars of the organization during their tenures. Rob Blake was awesome, and Luc Robitaille was the second-best finisher that Gretzky ever played with. Be mad at them as managers, fine, call them names, etc.. But their legacy as players? Just a weird way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad