LA Kings the most disastrously run franchise in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I'm 42, so I strongly doubt it, but maybe.

The point is that what you're saying makes no sense. Blake and Robitaille had nothing to do with the construction of the teams on which they played and they were pillars of the organization during their tenures. Rob Blake was awesome, and Luc Robitaille was the second-best finisher that Gretzky ever played with. Be mad at them as managers, fine, call them names, etc.. But their legacy as players? Just a weird way to go.
There are a lot of Kings fans (not me) who still hold a grudge over the way Blake left in 2001 and again in 2008. The details are long and I don’t have the strength to get into it, but that’s where a lot of the animosity towards him comes from. Similar to Penguins fans and Jagr. None of this takes away from the fact that he’s been a bad GM.

With Luc, we all suspect he stabbed Dean Lombardi in the back which led to the firing of the most successful GM in team history just three years after winning his second cup in three years. Since then, he’s done nothing but hire all his buddies and given fluff speeches. The guy has no business running anything.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s funny, just a few years back people were fawning over Blake and LAK as successfully retooling on the fly by getting a glut of quality prospects around Kopitar and Doughty.

Dubois trade aside just a few years later things are much different.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I feel like there's probably a LOT worse.

original.jpeg

bc9fce8eb65900d6cce32184aab600e6.jpg

Reactions: SirJW

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
There are a lot of Kings fans (not me) who still hold a grudge over the way Blake left in 2001 and again in 2008. The details are long and I don’t have the strength to get into it, but that’s where a lot of the animosity towards him comes from. Similar to Penguins fans and Jagr. None of this takes away from the fact that he’s been a bad GM.

With Luc, we all suspect he stabbed Dean Lombardi in the back which led to the firing of the most successful GM in team history just three years after winning his second cup in three years. Since then, he’s done nothing but hire all his buddies and given fluff speeches. The guy has no business running anything.
Good and interesting context, thanks. Bummer to have that be the long-term connection to some of your most legendary players, but sounds complicated and unfortunate.

Reactions: BB79 and Nasti

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Matt Roy, Sean Walker and Sean Durzi earned less in return to LA than what Blake spent on Jeannot.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: also yes

Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille are the worst thing to happen to the Kings. Both as player and as “executives”.
Their careers have both been one long non stop instance of giving the shaft to ownership and fans.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

The funny thing is Dean was getting ripped on the Kings board too before he was fired. They also insisted you couldnt win with Kopitar in 2011 and he had to be traded. Hf Kings Board more whining per post then most other team boards.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
The Kings have won two cups in the last 12 years, the Leafs haven't won one in 57 years.

Not to mention, even after having 4 top 10 picks in a matter of five years they've won exactly one playoff game past the first round in the last 21 years.

Since the Leafs last won a cup, every single Canadian team has been to the finals at least once except Toronto.

The Leafs are the most inept franchise in the NHL and possibly all of sports for the last 50+ years.

I'd take those two King's Stanley Cups and wouldn't care if we didn't make the playoffs for 10 years straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad