LA Kings the most disastrously run franchise in the league

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Comments like this remind me that most of us don't have the time to watch all the teams in the league and make calls on how good or bad other players are. The Kings were (and are) nowhere close to being on the path to cup contenders. They were a regular season team of smoke and mirrors that had no clear direction or team makeup. They weren't sniffing a cup.
This past season was smoke and mirrors due to lack of depth but they've been an elite defensive team the past 3 years but were unfortunate to face the Oilers in the 1st round each of those years. They were a hard match every time the Oilers faced them regardless of how many games the series went. Kopitar/Danualt are elite shutdown centers, defence is mobile and talented and they have hard working, fast wingers. If they didn't trade for PLD and acquired a decent goalie I wouldn't doubt that they'd be challenging for the division lead during the season.

Reactions: Butsy Erickson

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sure their decisions haven't been great lately but they have more cups in the last 24 years than all but 6 franchises.

Good point, but I think this thread is targeted to the current version of the Kings under Blake, who has been GM since 2017.

Since he's taken over it's been ugly. Lots of ugly.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good point, but I think this thread is targeted to the current version of the Kings under Blake, who has been GM since 2017.

For sure and as a Blackhawks fan I can relate due to the latter years of Bowmans tenure, similar to Pens fans post 2017.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
OP's premise has merit when you ignore on-ice results compared to other teams (Buffalo, Ottawa, etc...) and instead focus on the fact that everyone in Management is still employed and Robitaille actually said in the postseason presser "we were right there" regarding the series against Edmonton when, in fact, they were nowhere close to being "right there" except for the fact they were physically on the ice.

Old boy's club has been mentioned here but not spoken to in more length: they are several late 90's/early 00's Kings in various roles throughout the organization and, lo and behold, we are seeing similar results on the ice. Maybe this upcoming season will be the miracle first round victory that they can hang their hat on like the 2001 team.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
No, but the Blake run Kings are close to the bottom. Teams like Columbus, Buffalo, and Ottawa are clearly worse

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is not a well thought out thread.

The trade for PLD is extremely bad! they signed him to a very bad contract. A poorly run organization would either not traded him or bought him out.

Darcy K does not have much value but the value of moving out PLDs contract? Blake is a genius. Darcy K has just 15.75mil left on his contract and the kings do need a goalie. PLD? 61.25 mill. Meaning the LAK just freed up 45.50 for later in the time cycle.

Goalies are a crazy bread and I can see LAK flipping Darcy K at a later date. Teams always need goalies

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Main issue for the Kings is that a lot of their prospects didn't develop, be a combo of the King's structure or development process and the kids themselves. Vilardi, back issues so took a while for him to get going. Kupari, too up and down between A and NHL. Should have remained in the A until he was ready to contribute in the NHL. Bjornfort, came into the NHL quickly but didn't advance. Turcotte hurt a lot. Fagemo...
Then, they opted to trade prospects for now players in Gavrikov, Fiala, and PLD. Cost them Gens, Faber, 2 firsts, plus Vilardi, Kupari, a 2nd (kind of Durzi in the end).

Combo of Vilardi and Faber moved out, plus the picks, plus other prospects not panning out and the Kings future no longer looked as good. But, that's the reality is that prospects always look better early until they are at the stage where you expect them to contribute in the NHL. That's when results matter and you can't hang onto hope anymore.

Really, came down to the decision to get now players and make the most of the remaining years of DD and Kopi. Vs, trust in developing the next wave and allow those 2 to age out without another PO run.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Faber trade will hurt more than the initial trade for PLD. I don’t see Fiala’s game aging well.

As for the recent PLD trade - it was a heist. They freed up some cap and got a guy who can help with their biggest flaw (goaltending). Still like their roster and the ability to run Kopitar, Danault, Byfield down the middle is enviable.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Kings biggest mistake was thinking they were ready to win after taking the Oilers to 7 in '22
Nope, Kings biggest mistake was pulling out of the rebuild after 2021 without knowing if any of their prospects would hit. Signing players that would then block those prospects from even getting a shot in the line-up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Even during that time frame I don't think Kings had the worst management. I mean, that's prime Jim Benning years, and I'm sure whatever was happening in Edmonton (Chiarelli), Philly and Buffalo can also give LA a run for their money.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Habs fans pounding their chests saying it’s Bergevin’s fault but Luc and Blake are the masterminds by the kings failures. PLD was Luc’s idea and he presented it to Blake. Bergevin is just a puppet, it’s the BLuc show with the kings

Reactions: Lt Dan and Telos

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, there is no Kings fan happy with how the team has been ran recently, especially in regard to asset management. They've made some debatable signings and trades coupled with some egregiously bad trades, did a good job of acquiring picks and prospects only to not develop them due to their signings and trades to try to force competing again before their two legends, Kopitar and Doughty, expire and hang them up. There aren't many who are happy with Blake and Luc right now and virtually everyone wants them gone.

However, the worst run franchise in the league? Over getting rid of PLD? PLD is one of the worst traps in the entire league. Everyone who doesn't watch him regularly sees a young center with size who has a history of production and just needs the right fit and utilization. Everyone with eyes that has seen him play sees someone who utterly hates the game of hockey, does not care about his team or teammates in any way shape or form, and is counting the days until his retirement where he can sunbathe and never have to work again. People think this is an exaggeration or hate party, but you literally just have to watch him play. He plays the most ininspired disengaged form of hockey ever witnessed by someone with his size and talents. His shot is uninspired and goes straight into the logo, he doesn't skate, backcheck, or do board work. He glides around the center and then glides back to the bench. He will not defend the net and will watch opposing teams shoot and score at will at stick length away.

There is something to a player trying and failing or just not being good enough. You don't hate them because they at least try; you are annoyed with them instead and treat them as a scapegoat. But to have a player that is actively and knowingly sabatoging the team and doesn't care is a very potent drain to morale. He's a player that just walks away from a coach talking to him without saying anything in full Elon mode.

The Kings literally would have taken any return for PLD and there would have been dancing in the streets. No matter the cost, there was absolutely no future ahead for the team if PLD's NMC kicked in and you were stuck with him on the roster along with his contract for the better of the next decade. Trading him was the best move Blake has made. It's all his fault and a net negative that we lost essentially Vilardi being the only thing of note over the debacle, but realizing the mistake and getting rid of him was the least that could be done...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Don’t forget the trading away Faber for Fiala disaster too.
There was a rumor that Faber told Kings management that he wasn't going to sign with them and was going to pull a Jimmy Vesey to sign with Minnesota. It's where he was born and raised and was going to school, so it seems credible. If true, then getting Fiala for someone who could've walked in a year and signed with the Wild as a free agent is actually sort of impressive. I blame Blake for a lot of things, but I don't blame him for that particular trade.

Reactions: Butsy Erickson

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
There was a rumor that Faber told Kings management that he wasn't going to sign with them and was going to pull a Jimmy Vesey to sign with Minnesota. It's where he was born and raised and was going to school, so it seems credible. If true, then getting Fiala for someone who could've walked in a year and signed with the Wild as a free agent is actually sort of impressive. I blame Blake for a lot of things, but I don't blame him for that particular trade.
that rumor was not true btw.

He never told the Kings he wouldn't sign and he was shocked when he was traded

Reactions: Osprey

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This past season was smoke and mirrors due to lack of depth but they've been an elite defensive team the past 3 years but were unfortunate to face the Oilers in the 1st round each of those years. They were a hard match every time the Oilers faced them regardless of how many games the series went. Kopitar/Danualt are elite shutdown centers, defence is mobile and talented and they have hard working, fast wingers. If they didn't trade for PLD and acquired a decent goalie I wouldn't doubt that they'd be challenging for the division lead during the season.
i appreciate the glazing for my team but you're laying it on way too thick. The Kings have been piped harder than most adult actresses the last two years they've faced the oilers.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There are very few Blake apologists who are happy with his body of work.

Thanks for noticing I guess?

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Are the LA Kings the worst run franchise in the league?

146192203_crop_north.jpg

hi-res-84d80b03e563c8fb04ade29c9cb7af3a_crop_north.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad