Chychrun, Crouse

Crouse - Kopitar - Fiala
Arvidsson - Danault - Vilardi
Iafallo - Byfield - Moore
Grundstrom Lizotte - Kaliyev

Anderson - Doughty
Chychrun - Durzi
Roy - Clarke
This will make us incredible bad in the short run and even worse in the longrun.
We shouldn't trade away youngsters, we should add youngsters for the time after Kopitar and Doughty.

No trade on this planet will give us a shot at the cup the next 2 years

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You wish it was.
Why would I wish it was? It's much preferrable when people who pretend that Blake's hands are tied and no trades are available this time of year admit that Blake could make moves, even minor, as teams get injuries and are trying to fill new holes.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
This will make us incredible bad in the short run and even worse in the longrun.
We shouldn't trade away youngsters, we should add youngsters for the time after Kopitar and Doughty.

No trade on this planet will give us a shot at the cup the next 2 years

Nothing to worry about, the Yotes would not do this anyway. I guess no one here has been up to speed with Lawson Crouse the last year? Crouse had 2 more goals tonight, 9 on the season. A sweet backhand roofie in tight at the end of a PP. That's 29 goals in his last 83 games, making for a 30 goal scorer. The Kings need a LHD, a goalie and a 6'4" 225 pound winger that can bowl anyone over on his way to the net or in front of it....and score...with character.
(Grundstrom aint that guy)

Youth? Crouse and Chychrun are 25 and 24. The sweet spot, in which to acquire players that are hitting their upside. They are both signed to good contracts too.

Crouse wears an A and is an emerging leader there. It's just taken him 5 years to start scratching the surace.
What the Kings lack, is size in the top 6 wingers. Moore, Fiala, Arvidsson are scantly bigger than Lizotte...and Kempe has again disapperaed for 11 games...1 goal and back to the Kempe of yester year...sure, he oozes talent and one of the best skaters in the league. But he's somewhat about wearing Paris fashion, $590 CELINE t shirts.
Give me 2, 6'4" 220 lb 25 yr old Canadien kids that have game (yeah, Chy was born in Florida, but Canadian heritage) over CELINE fans, If he has $590 CELINE tshirts, gawd knows what else he has...$3000 Louis Vuitton sweats?

What happens to the Kings, when they go up against big physical teams? They mostly get shut down
and lose. Crouse is exactly what the Kings need. Chychrun? Not so sure and sold...but know full well he
can play when healthy and who knows how good he can be, with another team that 'should' make the playoffs.
The Kings have no size on the wings or on D. 2 of the bigger guys' Kopi and Edler are both about 65% of who they were just 3 years ago.

Let's see if Fagemo ever makes it....I like Toby, but you have to give up something. Walker? Anyoine taking his salary is a gift. The #1 pick? Probably a #14 overall black hole that the Kings will mess up on, anyway.

Maybe a little shakeup / shakedown sends the message to all. Acquire more 24-26 year olds builds a new core and the Kopis, Doughtys, etc are supplanted that way, cuz it looks like the 19-23 year olds can't be the new core...only one of them is getting closer to getting to where he will be, in Vilardi. Kopi, Brown, Doughty were all able to make impacts instantly; their 1st and 2nd years, they were impactful. DL then brought in the 24-27 year olds to lead them: Richards, Carter, Stoll, Greene, Williams,..all Canadians. Interesting. The Kings have gone heavy Euro and US colleges, and steered way from Canadians. Just an interesting fact. Maybe what they need, are a few big Canadian born players, with size and grit, hitting their peaks. There's no percect formula. The Kings took off, when DL brought in character guys, that COULD PLAY and several with size and grit. Crouse is the type DL would have coveted.

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Why would I wish it was? It's much preferrable when people who pretend that Blake's hands are tied and no trades are available this time of year admit that Blake could make moves, even minor, as teams get injuries and are trying to fill new holes.
Sure,
swap Walker for a 3C,

trade for a top 4D, preferably top pair D by the deadline

Dump Cal to an overachieving tank team for a decent back up goalie that's ruining their draft.

With the prospects taking a little longer & the decline of the vets, it's looking like the short term push isn't going to be there. The window is looking more like a couple years down the road. Instead of spending assets now, it might be better to move some of the guys that aren't going to be here long term & address things like LD in the off-season.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Started to post this in the Ontario thread but changed my mind.. re: last nights Reign game.

Turcotte made a beautiful play for Spence’s goal. Byfield getting rewarded during the game for good work on the wall and in front of the net. Great to see Turcotte having the confidence to take the body as that is a good sign for him. Turcottes compete is showing up, as is his game IQ… he looks far from done to me. He’s the guy in the system that will naturally replace Iaffalo, but with higher IQ and better hands.

I like seeing Björnfot activating more offensively and as I’ve always said (I’m not the only one) there is definitely untapped upside there. He doesn’t need to be a OFD but he can certainly chip in when given the license and/or the confidence to do so. He looks ready for a recall.

For me getting QB back in the Kings lineup ASAP is key to a better balance in the lineup. I want him and Vilardi back together because the chemistry was undeniable. If they recall QB he must get PP time and more than 15 secondo each time. Leaving guys of there for 90 seconds plus is insane and is against hockey 101 (short, sharp shifts). Sure if it’s late in the game and you need a GTG then take a risk with the ice time but not in the first couple of periods. It’ll give the younger guys so much more opportunity to start getting points on the board. With the extra space Kaliyev, QB, Clarke and Vilardi have the tools to use pp time effectively. We see that with Vilardi at the moment. only giving them 30 seconds each pp puts too much pressure on them to net one quickly as need to be able to use pp time without trying to force the play.

Anyway, last night they showed something we hope will translate into the NHL so let’s hope we get to see them given the opportunity to do so. Yes I know it was only one game.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Nothing to worry about, the Yotes would not do this anyway. I guess no one here has been up to speed with Lawson Crouse the last year? Crouse had 2 more goals tonight, 9 on the season. A sweet backhand roofie in tight at the end of a PP. That's 29 goals in his last 83 games, making for a 30 goal scorer. The Kings need a LHD, a goalie and a 6'4" 225 pound winger that can bowl anyone over on his way to the net or in front of it....and score...with character.
(Grundstrom aint that guy)

Youth? Crouse and Chychrun are 25 and 24. The sweet spot, in which to acquire players that are hitting their upside. They are both signed to good contracts too.

Crouse wears an A and is an emerging leader there. It's just taken him 5 years to start scratching the surace.
What the Kings lack, is size in the top 6 wingers. Moore, Fiala, Arvidsson are scantly bigger than Lizotte...and Kempe has again disapperaed for 11 games...1 goal and back to the Kempe of yester year...sure, he oozes talent and one of the best skaters in the league. But he's somewhat about wearing Paris fashion, $590 CELINE t shirts.
Give me 2, 6'4" 220 lb 25 yr old Canadien kids that have game (yeah, Chy was born in Florida, but Canadian heritage) over CELINE fans, If he has $590 CELINE tshirts, gawd knows what else he has...$3000 Louis Vuitton sweats?

What happens to the Kings, when they go up against big physical teams? They mostly get shut down
and lose. Crouse is exactly what the Kings need. Chychrun? Not so sure and sold...but know full well he
can play when healthy and who knows how good he can be, with another team that 'should' make the playoffs.
The Kings have no size on the wings or on D. 2 of the bigger guys' Kopi and Edler are both about 65% of who they were just 3 years ago.

Let's see if Fagemo ever makes it....I like Toby, but you have to give up something. Walker? Anyoine taking his salary is a gift. The #1 pick? Probably a #14 overall black hole that the Kings will mess up on, anyway.

Maybe a little shakeup / shakedown sends the message to all. Acquire more 24-26 year olds builds a new core and the Kopis, Doughtys, etc are supplanted that way, cuz it looks like the 19-23 year olds can't be the new core...only one of them is getting closer to getting to where he will be, in Vilardi. Kopi, Brown, Doughty were all able to make impacts instantly; their 1st and 2nd years, they were impactful. DL then brought in the 24-27 year olds to lead them: Richards, Carter, Stoll, Greene, Williams,..all Canadians. Interesting. The Kings have gone heavy Euro and US colleges, and steered way from Canadians. Just an interesting fact. Maybe what they need, are a few big Canadian born players, with size and grit, hitting their peaks. There's no percect formula. The Kings took off, when DL brought in character guys, that COULD PLAY and several with size and grit. Crouse is the type DL would have coveted.
Agree completely on Crouse, I’d move any winger not names Vilardi, Kaliyev or Fiala in a package to get him.

Chychrun as I’ve said many times isn’t the answer. Clarke will provide offence and has much higher upside and it’s not about a cup run this year… I’d be more open to a risky trade like Chychrun if that were the case.

We need a physical LHD and I’m not too concerned what pair he’d fit in because, as long as he’s a legit top 6 guy, when you factor In the whole depth chart Doughty, Spence and Clarke will provide the offensive contributions with the more defensive guys on the left side. It potentially makes for 3 balanced pairing for a contender. I want that LHD now but if we have to wait for the right guy we wait.

Crouse I’d push harder for now, if possible. Him with QB and Vilardi feels like a great line.

Its just fun guess work from all of us though. There is no telling what players are really available and if the prices are reasonable and we are without a doubt clueless as to whether they’d be able to duplicate their best hockey for the Kings.

I actually think goaltending is our biggest issue atm.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Started to post this in the Ontario thread but changed my mind.. re: last nights Reign game.

Turcotte made a beautiful play for Spence’s goal. Byfield getting rewarded during the game for good work on the wall and in front of the net. Great to see Turcotte having the confidence to take the body as that is a good sign for him. Turcottes compete is showing up, as is his game IQ… he looks far from done to me. He’s the guy in the system that will naturally replace Iaffalo, but with higher IQ and better hands.

I like seeing Björnfot activating more offensively and as I’ve always said (I’m not the only one) there is definitely untapped upside there. He doesn’t need to be a OFD but he can certainly chip in when given the license and/or the confidence to do so. He looks ready for a recall.

For me getting QB back in the Kings lineup ASAP is key to a better balance in the lineup. I want him and Vilardi back together because the chemistry was undeniable. If they recall QB he must get PP time and more than 15 secondo each time. Leaving guys of there for 90 seconds plus is insane and is against hockey 101 (short, sharp shifts). Sure if it’s late in the game and you need a GTG then take a risk with the ice time but not in the first couple of periods. It’ll give the younger guys so much more opportunity to start getting points on the board. With the extra space Kaliyev, QB, Clarke and Vilardi have the tools to use pp time effectively. We see that with Vilardi at the moment. only giving them 30 seconds each pp puts too much pressure on them to net one quickly as need to be able to use pp time without trying to force the play.

Anyway, last night they showed something we hope will translate into the NHL so let’s hope we get to see them given the opportunity to do so. Yes I know it was only one game.
How about physicality 5”11 Spence is playing now?

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

i not only want Bjornfot up but I want him paired with Drew. Him and Anderson are fine together but I think Anderson with a Durzi or Walker would help spread things out, and would really help Durzi and/or Walker.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i wonder if edmundson could be a target for the kings. He has a decent contract for this year and next. Montreal should still be looking for futures

Reactions: funky

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Spence is 5'10 and not physical at all.
He is a more serious version of Durzi
He’s definitely evolving that side of his game, getting more engaged physically which is not to say that he’s doing his impression of Scott Stevens.

He doesn’t need to lay guys out but needs to make them work for it in the corners and in front of the net. He’s definitely taken a step in the right direction and looks stronger.

Reactions: mysterman2

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

Just posted my game thoughts in the AHL thread and shared many of the same commentary about this.
Chromiak as well looks like a player with an NHL future.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just posted my game thoughts in the AHL thread and shared many of the same commentary about this.
Chromiak as well looks like a player with an NHL future.
Chromiak has looked really good at times. Not sure how all these guys can fit into one lineup. Either some of them need to be sold off or some NHL roster guys need to be moved. Honestly I think guys like Chromiak should be either used as part of a package to boost the NHL club, or if that is not available moved for picks that can be used down the line.

Reactions: Kurrilino

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Chromiak has looked really good at times. Not sure how all these guys can fit into one lineup. Either some of them need to be sold off or some NHL roster guys need to be moved. Honestly I think guys like Chromiak should be either used as part of a package to boost the NHL club, or if that is not available moved for picks that can be used down the line.

Only 5 games in to pro career so lots of time to see his development but that back check was something you cant teach...and indeed he is an asset.

Reactions: kinghock

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
How are Doughty today and McDonagh from 2018 remotely similar from a deal perspective? Doughty with 4 years left isn't going anywhere, and they're not going to retain much for that long.

Earth rattling trades too. Especially the one not even involving NHL players.

I didn’t say they were similar from a deal perspective. I said Doughty is a good #1B defenseman who could strongly compliment a contending team with an already established #1. McDonagh was a “#1” in NY but slotted into a much more effective role in Tampa Bay behind Hedman.

The Kings need to move on from these legacy players. I understand they’re both on bad contracts and management is unlikely to move them, but that doesn’t change the fact that they SHOULD be moved, and there WOULD be interest around the league.

Reactions: kinghock

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I didn’t say they were similar from a deal perspective. I said Doughty is a good #1B defenseman who could strongly compliment a contending team with an already established #1. McDonagh was a “#1” in NY but slotted into a much more effective role in Tampa Bay behind Hedman.

The Kings need to move on from these legacy players. I understand they’re both on bad contracts and management is unlikely to move them, but that doesn’t change the fact that they SHOULD be moved, and there WOULD be interest around the league.

Hard for teams to bring in Drew's cap without either retention or LA taking an anchor of a deal back.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
i just don't see it happening

best roster we've ever had, rebuild is over, identity promo videos with luc going on about how teams are prepared for us now.. they think the work is done

AEG would have to blow it from the top right? someone said last night they don't know if phil knows he owns a hockey team any more and i think that might be right

I remember when I had my first beer
If the Kings black hole this season, you have to look at trading both Kopitar and Doughty. Doughty is not a top 10 D anymore but he’s still a good all situations #1. He could strongly compliment a contender with an already established #1, like McDonagh to Tampa Bay a few years ago.

If we retain 50% on Kopitar he will draw some interest.

Recoup some assets, hope Byfield progresses?

This team is so poorly built.

I remember when I had my first beer

• Haha
Reactions: kings11

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Hard for teams to bring in Drew's cap without either retention or LA taking an anchor of a deal back.

I don't care so much about the money even if we retain 50%

The issue is getting Kopiatr and Doughty off the team and start fresh.
The alternative is to let their contract run out and the upcoming youth being corrupted by mediocrity and careless attitude.

Reactions: Nickster

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

The alternative is to let their contract run out and the upcoming youth being corrupted by mediocrity and careless attitude.
When the rebuild started we were all happy to have the youth be guided by two hall of famers. It’s really upsetting how their roles never changed to the point we want them gone because they’re not being used as guides but they’re just roadblocks now taking up icetime

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
When the rebuild started we were all happy to have the youth be guided by two hall of famers. It’s really upsetting how their roles never changed to the point we want them gone because they’re not being used as guides but they’re just roadblocks now taking up icetime
I’m not sure about ‘all’ 😉

The issue with both is deployment as they are both logging way too many minutes and getting the lion share of PP time. A drop in minutes will most likely improve performance, so I don’t think ’they’ are the problem… it is just how they are being used.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

You are the first person I have seen to think Doughty and Kopitar have a "careless attitude".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad