Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings really needs some toughness for the playoffs. Can't depend on Lemieux. Edmonton had Kane, Kassian and Nurse and they ran around and bullied players like Kopitar, Byfield and Durzi.
I would like some size and toughness as well, but moving Kempe is not the way.

Iafallo and Moore are too redundant IMO. One of them should've been moved or not re-signed. I say this as someone who loves Moore.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
The point is there are several people who keep passing off speculation as fact. After we call it out, the message is now we have to accept it because "we couldn't know." And you're right, I don't know what Faber's situation is like.

But I do know there are other hockey players with special needs families who did not refuse to sign with any other team unless it was his hometown - like Hudson Fasching with two siblings who have a mitochondrial disorder that renders them unable to walk or speak. He, like Faber, ALSO went through the USNTDP program and played college hockey in Minnesota. And for the players who DID refuse it, their refusal was made public in a trade - while not driven by a special needs family members, Adam Fox wanted to sign with the Rangers, so the Hurricanes traded him as a prospect.

If there are other professional hockey players who DO know what you and Faber are going through, and who DID opt to sign with only their hometown team so they can be closer to family, do you have a list? I'd like to read more about it.

Fair enough. I am familiar with Hudson Fasching's story as well. Everyone that has a special situation, can only control how they handle it and typically cannot control where they play. I thnk and I do not know, but from seeing the passion Brock has for Paige and vice versa, it's not far fetched to belive he was going to play 4 years and sign with the Wild, Brock is an upper tier prospect, that most evert team would want. One of the things that made me feel even stronger, was that he actually was her biggest fan at her games. I'm sure if he could control the outcome where he could play, that meant a lot to him as well.

I am not familiar with Chris Sutter's situation, when he came to LA to be with his dad...if he lived with Daryl? and stayed in LA alone, when the Kings were on the road ? Most down syndrome young adults cannot live on their own.

I am just happy that the Kings offer of Faber + #1 was enough to get Fiala and I would do it again, so I don't think about having lost Faber...but a means to get Fiala.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think a trade with Calgary would’ve made a ton of sense if not for the injury to Kylington. They’re looking for depth scoring in their middle 6, and Kylington seems like the odd man out with the arrival of Weegar. It’s too bad he’s been hurt all year.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just a thought. Petersen is now 10-8-1, 2.64 GAA, .918 SV% with the Reign. His save % is the 8th best in the AHL. I think it's time to call up Petersen and Quick can either retire or be sent down to the Reign. Just for reference, when Copley was called up, he was 6-4-1, 2.48 GAA, .913 SV%. If this was done the Kings could save $800k in salary cap space(Quick $5.8 million, Petersen $5 million).

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
CA. refugee<E. TN.
Just a thought. Petersen is now 10-8-1, 2.64 GAA, .918 SV% with the Reign. His save % is the 8th best in the AHL. I think it's time to call up Petersen and Quick can either retire or be sent down to the Reign. Just for reference, when Copley was called up, he was 6-4-1, 2.48 GAA, .913 SV%. If this was done the Kings could save $800k in salary cap space(Quick $5.8 million, Petersen $5 million).
J Quick dont ride no effing bus in the AHL. come on man.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I bet Petersen will be up next season as either a backup or 1B situation, but there’s no way we do that to Quick in his last year.

If Quick wants to continue playing next year, that’s on him. He’s welcome to look for a contract on another team. The Kings don’t owe him anything else.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Quick will have an injury in practice or slip on a banana peel at home and go on LTIR. The organization will not trade him as a throwaway, or send him down. You cant do your vets dirty at the end, it will be remembered. This way both sides save face and the team can have an adequate 2nd G. Once the playoffs start we can do the Tampa trick and bring him back to the roster and he can watch from the press box.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
No. Petersen is like 5th on the depth chart right now behind Villalta and some random guy in the local beer league. He isn't playing for LA this season unless there are a rash of injuries after the trade deadline and the Kings want to make a last minute run at Bedard.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
No. Petersen is like 5th on the depth chart right now behind Villalta and some random guy in the local beer league. He isn't playing for LA this season unless there are a rash of injuries after the trade deadline and the Kings want to make a last minute run at Bedard.
Villalta isn't even playing that much with the Reign. Petersen is playing the majority.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm sorry to say it but Quick isn't even playing well enough to be an NHL backup! Here's the reality, he doesn't have a NMC that prevents him from being sent down to the Reign. Kings are trying to make the playoffs and not have long time vets on the roster for loyalty. Any NHL coach or goalie coach will tell you a team needs two goalies playing well to win in the NHL. Copley is doing it, but Quick aint! The numbers don't lie.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
The Sharks just traded Jaycob Megna to the Kraken for a 4th.
6-6, 220 big LHD. Seattle already has Oleksiak and Soucy.
So its your move Blake.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I guess I'm insane, but I think Quick will find his game down the stretch.
I'll just put this sort of number in perspective. Quick has been struggling for a long stretch playing a single game where he finishes with a .900 SV%. He basically has one of the worst SV%'s in the NHL. There has to be a realism that he can't play at an NHL standard level and not trying to save face with him.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It can’t be over stated how much better Danault and RV play with Moore than they do with Iafallo.

I love what Alex brings to the table, and on paper he should be a good fit on that line, but it just hasn’t worked.

yeah, its been real obvious for weeks. Iafallo looks so lost on that line and has zero chemistry with the other two. His defensive game has been equally bad, picking up one minus after another.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I defend Blake, but I also have some criticisms of him.

The lack of team identity is one of them. The roster feels like a bunch of players thrown together. The other is not having much team size/toughness. I'm no Johnny Utah, but common you've gotta have a little bit.

Also I thought going into this season with Petersen/Quick as the goaltending duo was very risky. You've got a 37yo who hasn't played a full season in forever, and a guy in Petersen who has never shown the ability to be a fulltime starter and has gotten worse every season.

Reactions: tbrown33 and Cook24

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
theres $12M in space with zero LHD, 11F, 4D, 1G

Have you seen Pastrnak play LD though? That's what I thought!

The Sharks just traded Jaycob Megna to the Kraken for a 4th.
6-6, 220 big LHD. Seattle already has Oleksiak and Soucy.
So its your move Blake.

Megna f***ing sucks though.

Unfortunately that raises the market floor.

Reactions: Trash Panda

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I bet Petersen will be up next season as either a backup or 1B situation, but there’s no way we do that to Quick in his last year.

If Quick wants to continue playing next year, that’s on him. He’s welcome to look for a contract on another team. The Kings don’t owe him anything else.
The Kings don't have an obligation to have Quick finish the season on the roster! I have seen great goalies like Brodeur, Lundqvist, etc not finish with their original team and their respective team were not even a playoff team. This is about the team and what is best for making the playoffs this season and creating a good path for the future.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Megna f***ing sucks though.

Unfortunately that raises the market floor.
He's big, he defends, he's nothing special. Which would be an upgrade for us.
Its an interesting deal in that the market is firming up and that is the sort of player Blake is likely going to be after. Seattle has some big people on their back end and we have none.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I defend Blake, but I also have some criticisms of him.

The lack of team identity is one of them. The roster feels like a bunch of players thrown together. The other is not having much team size/toughness. I'm no Johnny Utah, but common you've gotta have a little bit.

Also I thought going into this season with Petersen/Quick as the goaltending duo was very risky. You've got a 37yo who hasn't played a full season in forever, and a guy in Petersen who has never shown the ability to be a fulltime starter and has gotten worse every season.
Just terrible assessment of their goaltending. The Kings are very lucky that Copley came out of nowhere to save this team with a bit of goaltending stability.

Reactions: RocketKing

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

He's not particularly physical though.

You'd think he's better defensively on the left side than both Edler and Durzi.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The reason why Edler plays is because he’s big and plays physical. The Kings gave Edler 750k to play that role because they couldn’t afford to pay another UFA because of the Anderson and Durzi contracts last summer OR Blake didn’t want to give up the assets. Now the Kings know what they have in some of these prospects and a bit more money to play with. The issue now is that goaltending is an issue, which Blake didn’t expect. And filling that will cost $$$.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The reason why Edler plays is because he’s big and plays physical. The Kings gave Edler 750k to play that role because they couldn’t afford to pay another UFA because of the Anderson and Durzi contracts last summer OR Blake didn’t want to give up the assets. Now the Kings know what they have in some of these prospects and a bit more money to play with. The issue now is that goaltending is an issue, which Blake didn’t expect. And filling that will cost $$$.
Edler is gone after this season.

I would've taken Megna for a 4th even if he was a healthy scratch for the remainder of this year. Would make a decent Edler replacement for next season. Same cap hit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad