Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Everything this front office and coaching staff has shown says Clarke is spending the vast majority (if not all) of next year in Ontario.
Yea thats what I think will happen. They will bring in a left dman with term at the deadline or offseason.
Walker will be moved in the offseason. Bjornfot comes in full time.
And Moverare or Spence will be the 7th dman.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
I'm sure most players dream of playing for their hometown.

But these players are also professionals. They don't just refuse to sign with a team that drafted them because they want to play closer to home. They work their way up, then maybe ask for a trade, and in the absence of a trade, pursue free agency.

Thousand Oaks native Trevor Moore signed with Toronto. Waterloo native Cal Petersen signed with LA. Madison native Phil Kessel signed with Boston. John Tavares, who "always dreamed of being a Leaf" and was drafted first overall signed with the Islanders. Indianapolis native and Red Wings fan Jack Johnson signed in LA.

It's very possible he never would sign with LA. But continuously citing how he subconsciously rooted for the Wild in a puff piece isn't evidence.

Here's the deal and real life. If you watch the entirety of this 4:42 video you will somewhat understand his situation and you would fully understand, if you had a special needs son, daugher, sister or brother. If you have not lived through the following, with a special needs immediate family member, you could not understand.

My oldest son Justin is autistic and could not speak or even jump until age 4. I cannot tell you the strains and heartaches of this and what it compels you and others to do, for a loved one with special needs.
We were in 2-3 therapies a week from age 2 to 12 for him...dozens of people rallied around Justin and our family.
In fact, one crazy story is that Mark Hardy's sister in law was Justin;s one to one aid, one year, when he was 6 or 7 in his elementary school in Monrovia. Justin was never in a special needs class - he was highly intelligent and became high functioning, thankfully. (but needed a 1 to 1 aid through elementary) ...but she knew he loved hockey and that I took him to King games...one day, she came up to me and handed me a signed Luc Robitaille stick! Insane. I never asked for anything....it's just that good people rally around special needs kids and their families. when Justin graduated high school - AND - one reason we moved to Denver in 2006, there were better schools for autism than California had then...just another point of this post and Brock and Paige Faber (that you will move, for a speical needs loved one). When Justin graduated high school, so many people in California that were instrumental in his life, flew out to Denver, for his graduation. It was a big deal. My ex made sacrifices and was Justin's advocate, quit her career, went to autism conferences around the country and she even wrote a book....she told me that her and I meant less...and this led to our divorce. But I never ceased to do all that I could for Justin. Even his little brother, became the big brother and looked out for him everywhere and stood up for him.

So, Brock's sister has special needs....just look how close they are. After watching that, tell me what Paige was saying the day Brock was drafted by the Kings? (please know that special needs kids live in another world and process things entirely different and the ways the world works, they don't understand, or even accept, if it is explained) I wil tell you. She probably doesn't know where LA is and was probably hoping and praying the Wild drafted him and was devestated (and not happy Brock was just drafted 42nd by and NHL team)
that he was not on the Wild. Paige's loves in life: herself playing hockey, her brother Brock and watching Brock's games. That's probably her ENTIRE WORLD. And in the video "Brock is Paige's biggest fan and goes to all her games" That only happens in Minnesota.

Brock knows this and he will probably do anything for Paige, as much as for himself.
Brock himself is all about Minnesota and loves the Wild.
As far as I know, the 18 months (apx ?) he was Kings' property, he not once came out to LA., Did he?
He already knows what it will be like, if he plays in LA...that his sister will lose the biggest part of her.
Unless, they can move Paige there. (moving from LA to Denver was hard for Justin...most speical needs kids do not like change!) He may have even promised her that he would play college there
4 years and sign with the Wild. If Brock can help fulfill the desire's of his sister's heart, he certainly will.
Blake offered him a contract and he rebutted it...did you notice the next day, they signed Pinelli?
I don't know if they were up against the max, but it was interesting the day after Blake and Faber were
seen in that box, Pinelli signed. (the next day or 2)

I will say that after my divorce in Denver and how it's known for the worst city in USA to find love, I met the love of my life in Ft Worth and went back and forth 2 years and even kept a small apt there....she had 2 girls at home fulltime; 12 and 17 and I had Justin and my other son, 50% of the time in Denver. NO WAY would I ever move from him. She could not move, as her ex was an ex TCU football player and refused to let his daughters move to Denver....so it ended after 2 years. If not for Justin? I would have moved to Ft Worth in a second. I will never leave him. He works at the airport Westin, drives a car and owns a small condo...but I will never leave him.
Best lady I ever met and since ending in 2018...have not found anyone close to her.

Last edited:

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Yea we have a crazy amount of depth at RD If I was running thing I would have traded Durzi last off season and played Spence this year and most likely moving him this offseason for Clarke. The tough one is Roy if we move him we have nobody in the system that fills his roll so my RD after this season would have been Drew, Clarke and Roy. But now we still have them all so it will be interesting to see what Blake does.
Just add the defensively responsible guy on the left side.

Yea thats what I think will happen. They will bring in a left dman with term at the deadline or offseason.
Walker will be moved in the offseason. Bjornfot comes in full time.
And Moverare or Spence will be the 7th dman.
If Spence is not in the lineup next year I will be dumbstruck

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Even with no signing issues, trading Faber + FRP for Fiala was a smart and good deal. We have no spot for Spence & Clarke right now (let alone Grans)....we're complaining all the time about that. Now imagine Faber being signed and all those complaints too.

Now if Blake had even the slightest concern/worry about Faber signing -- now that really changes things. It would be a horrible decision to NOT make that Fiala trade if you had even the slightest concern (valid or not). If Faber were a LHD (or goalie), then again -- totally changes things and you probaly should run that risk because of the huge position/organizational need. But not the case.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
FWIW, the trio of Moore, Vilardi, and Kaliyev have played at a combined 5 win pace. That’s a big hit to a team fighting for the playoffs.
It can’t be over stated how much better Danault and RV play with Moore than they do with Iafallo.

I love what Alex brings to the table, and on paper he should be a good fit on that line, but it just hasn’t worked.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Even with no signing issues, trading Faber + FRP for Fiala was a smart and good deal. We have no spot for Spence & Clarke right now (let alone Grans)....we're complaining all the time about that. Now imagine Faber being signed and all those complaints too.

Now if Blake had even the slightest concern/worry about Faber signing -- now that really changes things. It would be a horrible decision to NOT make that Fiala trade if you had even the slightest concern (valid or not). If Faber were a LHD (or goalie), then again -- totally changes things and you probaly should run that risk because of the huge position/organizational need. But not the case.
And another fact that gets overlooked is you are paying extra to get instant deployment value vs value that wont be realized for several years.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Here's the deal and real life. If you watch the entirety of this 4:42 video you will somewhat understand his situation and you would fully understand, if you had a special needs son, daugher, sister or brother. If you have not lived through the following, with a special needs immediate family member, you could not understand.

My oldest son Justin is autistic and could not speak or even jump until age 4. I cannot tell you the strains and heartaches of this and what it compels you and others to do, for a loved one with special needs.
We were in 2-3 therapies a week from age 2 to 12 for him...dozens of people rallied around Justin and our family.
In fact, one crazy story is that Mark Hardy's sister in law was Justin;s one to one aid, one year, when he was 6 or 7 in his elementary school in Monrovia. Justin was never in a special needs class - he was highly intelligent and became high functioning, thankfully. (but needed a 1 to 1 aid through elementary) ...but she knew he loved hockey and that I took him to King games...one day, she came up to me and handed me a signed Luc Robitaille stick! Insane. I never asked for anything....it's just that good people rally around special needs kids and their families. when Justin graduated high school - AND - one reason we moved to Denver in 2006, there were better schools for autism than California had then...just another point of this post and Brock and Paige Faber (that you will move, for a speical needs loved one). When Justin graduated high school, so many people in California that were instrumental in his life, flew out to Denver, for his graduation. It was a big deal. My ex made sacrifices and was Justin's advocate, quit her career, went to autism conferences around the country and she even wrote a book....she told me that her and I meant less...and this led to our divorce. But I never ceased to do all that I could for Justin. Even his little brother, became the big brother and looked out for him everywhere and stood up for him.

So, Brock's sister has special needs....just look how close they are. After watching that, tell me what Paige was saying the day Brock was drafted by the Kings? (please know that special needs kids live in another world and process things entirely different and the ways the world works, they don't understand, or even accept, if it is explained) I wil tell you. She probably doesn't know where LA is and was probably hoping and praying the Wild drafted him and was devestated (and not happy Brock was just drafted 42nd by and NHL team)
that he was not on the Wild. Paige's loves in life: herself playing hockey, her brother Brock and watching Brock's games. That's probably her ENTIRE WORLD. And in the video "Brock is Paige's biggest fan and goes to all her games" That only happens in Minnesota.

Brock knows this and he will probably do anything for Paige, as much as for himself.
Brock himself is all about Minnesota and loves the Wild.
As far as I know, the 18 months (apx ?) he was Kings' property, he not once came out to LA., Did he?
He already knows what it will be like, if he plays in LA...that his sister will lose the biggest part of her.
Unless, they can move Paige there. (moving from LA to Denver was hard for Justin...most speical needs kids do not like change!) He may have even promised her that he would play college there
4 years and sign with the Wild. If Brock can help fulfill the desire's of his sister's heart, he certainly will.
Blake offered him a contract and he rebutted it...did you notice the next day, they signed Pinelli?
I don't know if they were up against the max, but it was interesting the day after Blake and Faber were
seen in that box, Pinelli signed. (the next day or 2)

I will say that after my divorce in Denver and how it's known for the worst city in USA to find love, I met the love of my life in Ft Worth and went back and forth 2 years and even kept a small apt there....she had 2 girls at home fulltime; 12 and 17 and I had Justin and my other son, 50% of the time in Denver. NO WAY would I ever move from him. She could not move, as her ex was an ex TCU football player and refused to let his daughters move to Denver....so it ended after 2 years. If not for Justin? I would have moved to Ft Worth in a second. I will never leave him. He works at the airport Westin, drives a car and owns a small condo...but I will never leave him.
Best lady I ever met and since ending in 2018...have not found anyone close to her.

Thanks for your post. My niece and nephew are both autistic, my niece pretty severely. They spend a lot of time with my ex-wife’s retired parents, so much so that the professionals advised against them moving to NC which they planned to do upon retirement, because the change would be damaging to the kids.

On Faber, he did move to Plymouth, MI for 2 years to play for the NTDP, so he has moved to advance his hockey career when he didn’t absolutely have to. Now the Twin Cities area to Plymouth is obviously closer than TC to LA but it’s still a 700 mile move, roughly the same distance as LA to Salt Lake City.

Perhaps Brock’s agen.. sorry family advisor told him he could play 4 years in college and have his choice to sign with Minnesota at that point. That is certainly a possibility. But I still believe not wanting to leave his dream school (and his hometown) to play in the AHL is the most likely reason he spurned the Kings offer. I know if I were in a similar spot and someone said you can return to Ann Arbor or play in Ontario (likely situation with the Kings depth chart + organizational philosophy with AHL usage) my choice would be very easy. He also didn’t sign with Minnesota this summer either. He probably figures he can finish his junior year, sign, burn that year off the ELC and be much more likely to earn an NHL job this fall.

Faber being traded to Minnesota does give some validity to him only wanting to be there, but it’s not as if the Kings and Minnesota made a small deal to make it happen. Minnesota traded a point-per-game winger, seems like a lot for a guy you could have signed for free 2 years later. It’s just as likely the Kings wanted Fiala and told Minnesota that Clarke and QB were not available in the move and naturally they settled on a deal built around the Kings 3rd most valuable prospect.

Either way he seems like a really great kid from a great family. I just wish he went to a different school. But going to Minnesota for a lot of kids up there is like going to Texas for a lot of football players from that state. It’s a childhood dream.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So which is it? He dreamed of playing for Minnesota or he wants to stay home and take care of his sibling?

I appreciate the information but I am already familiar with his special needs sibling.

As Herby pointed out, he already has relocated elsewhere to play in the USNTDP.

But also, if being that close is paramount to Faber's career decision, is it wise to take up a career where half his time is spent on the road or out of town, when he plays road games?

The point is, his wanting to play for his favorite team and/or staying close to home are completely valid reasons for whatever choices he makes and I support that. But it's not evidence, like people keep repeating as a foregone conclusion, that:
1) he had no intention of signing with LA
2) he would only play for Minnesota (especially if, in a few years, Minnesota trades him)
3) he requested a trade

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
With Faber, you can bet that when he didn't sign the Kings certainly inquired about what his plans were. Every single organization would do that. There is no evidence either way of what Faber has in mind. But if I'm a GM and I:

1. Offer to sign a kid and put him in the NHL immediately vs his hometown team and he turns it down
2. Know how much he loves Minnesota
3. Know that he has strong family motivation for staying close to home

I hedge my bets for sure. There are a lot of damn good valid reasons for him to want to play in Minnesota, can't fault him for that. I highly doubt he asked for a trade to Minnesota, you don't get very good returns in those situations. I think it was simply good timing for both parties involved, nothing more than that.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
So which is it? He dreamed of playing for Minnesota or he wants to stay home and take care of his sibling?

I appreciate the information but I am already familiar with his special needs sibling.

As Herby pointed out, he already has relocated elsewhere to play in the USNTDP.

But also, if being that close is paramount to Faber's career decision, is it wise to take up a career where half his time is spent on the road or out of town, when he plays road games?

The point is, his wanting to play for his favorite team and/or staying close to home are completely valid reasons for whatever choices he makes and I support that. But it's not evidence, like people keep repeating as a foregone conclusion, that:
1) he had no intention of signing with LA
2) he would only play for Minnesota (especially if, in a few years, Minnesota trades him)
3) he requested a trade

Both. He doesn't care for her, of course. Obviously, he's had to be gone from Minnesota in the US program and on the road a lot. I feel that his plan was to play 4 years and go free agent and try to sign with the Wild.
I would have never moved from Monrovia to Denver, if not to have a better school program for my son
and I would have moved to Ft Worth (and didn't like Ft Worth at all) to be with my GF. But, I will not leave
Justin. As I said, if one has not had an immediate family member, one couldn't know and no, all persons are not the same, have the same makeup, character or heart, towards family members. Someone can tel lme they know what Justin or myself went through on this joutney., but they cannot. I never knew I would be putting a tongue depressor in my 3 year old son's mouth every night, pressing it on his lips, teeth and tongue, to try to help him speak...for one of about 100 things, I never knew I would be doing, helping my son do things my other son could do, without special help, occupational therapy. No need to go on. I just sense Brock is the type of young man that is serious about hockey and his career, but his sister may be the most important person in his life. The video piece is not sensational or fluff...you can see the bond the family has and how close Brock and Paige are. And if he has a choice, he would choose to play for the Wild.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

Completely agree. Good post.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
My biggest wishes for this team:

1. Find a way to shed some additional salary. Quick and Phaneuf are off the books at the end of the year. Vilardi is going to get a raise. It is doubtful that Edler comes back next year. Ideally, we find a way to shed the salaries of Walker and Petersen.

2. Sign/trade for LHD. There are several good options at the end of the year. I think this team was a lot better with Maatta - I would try to bring him back. I would also try to sign an other LHD like Soucy. We are crowded on the right side. Going to have to make a trade. That means you need to include Roy or Durzi in that, depending on if you think we keep Spence or not. It's looking pretty obvious that Clarke is going to be an impact player in this league. If not next year, then definitely the year after. With the way he is playing in the O, you gotta think he's got a very good chance to make the team straight up for 23/24.

3. Sign/trade for a good goaltender. Tristan Jarry is UFA at the end of this year. He has done pretty well for Pittsburgh. I think we should make a run at him if we can somehow figure it out. All of this really comes down to how much cap space we have to work with. I am not sure if Petersen gets everything sorted out and returns to the team, but he's been putting up better numbers of late with the Reign. He's up to a .918 SV% and a 2.64 GAA.

I don't think we really have any obvious holes on offense. This is the first time in many years that I don't think we are all worried about putting goals on the scoreboard. Our defense was better last year. I don't get the feeling that we can lock down the game when we need to. Doughty/Anderson are great, but after that I have concerns that any of the remaining D can fill that role.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As I said, if one has not had an immediate family member, one couldn't know and no, all persons are not the same, have the same makeup, character or heart, towards family members.

The point is there are several people who keep passing off speculation as fact. After we call it out, the message is now we have to accept it because "we couldn't know." And you're right, I don't know what Faber's situation is like.

But I do know there are other hockey players with special needs families who did not refuse to sign with any other team unless it was his hometown - like Hudson Fasching with two siblings who have a mitochondrial disorder that renders them unable to walk or speak. He, like Faber, ALSO went through the USNTDP program and played college hockey in Minnesota. And for the players who DID refuse it, their refusal was made public in a trade - while not driven by a special needs family members, Adam Fox wanted to sign with the Rangers, so the Hurricanes traded him as a prospect.

If there are other professional hockey players who DO know what you and Faber are going through, and who DID opt to sign with only their hometown team so they can be closer to family, do you have a list? I'd like to read more about it.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Fiala and Pastrnak spotted playing golf together and going out to dinner on Instagram.

Find a way Rob. Pastrnak in LA would be filthyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fiala and Pastrnak spotted playing golf together and going out to dinner on Instagram.

Find a way Rob. Pastrnak in LA would be filthyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I think that ship has sailed given where the Bruins are now haha

If only we would have pushed for that before they remembered they were good

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Honestly if Rob went out and handed Pastrnak 9AAV in Free Agency this Summer + with Quick/Dion off the books we could move a guy like Kempe/Arvidsson for a top 4LHD.

I think we have more wiggle room than we probably realize in terms of money.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Honestly if Rob went out and handed Pastrnak 9AAV in Free Agency this Summer + with Quick/Dion off the books we could move a guy like Kempe/Arvidsson for a top 4LHD.

I think we have more wiggle room than we probably realize in terms of money.
I think moving Kempe would be kind of crazy. His game is really starting to refine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad