Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
A year or 2 too long for me. The AAV I can deal with.

But that means at worst, he's a cap dump in year 5-6 for a 2nd. Is what he provides in years 1-4 worth a 2nd? I would say yes. We have too many prospects/picks as it is.

I think this was a good signing. Get the forward core to be definsively responsible and the defensemen improve.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I like Danault more than Buch but I did like the idea of Reinhart. Takes two to tango though and Buffalo wanted a good goalie prospect on top of the 1st.

Blake didn't have to move any picks or prospects for Danault. Two guys added this off-season in an age range the team is lacking and it only cost a couple of picks to do it and a couple of contract years at the end of the Danault contract that might not be lovely. Deal with it then because, right now, it is important to start adding the cream of the crop prospects into a positive atmosphere as opposed to the unrelenting sadness that has been the past few seasons.

At this point, I think the Kings should have moved on from the hoarding picks/prospects. The pool is full, so now would have been an ideal time to be actual big game hunting by using some of that pool and cap space.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I was never against the idea of Danault and I can certainly see the benefits of signing a guy like him. That being said 6 years is a tough pill to swallow. Vilardi better start working on his wing play now before training camp starts
I think Vilardi's days are numbered,hello Buffalo?

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Pretty stoked with this. Takes a lot of pressure off the young centers and allows them to play their game and also develop a little longer if necessary. I actually suggested this but kind of went back and forth on if he’s worth it plus I didn’t think he would sign.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I like Danault more than Buch but I did like the idea of Reinhart. Takes two to tango though and Buffalo wanted a good goalie prospect on top of the 1st.

Blake didn't have to move any picks or prospects for Danault. Two guys added this off-season in an age range the team is lacking and it only cost a couple of picks to do it and a couple of contract years at the end of the Danault contract that might not be lovely. Deal with it then because, right now, it is important to start adding the cream of the crop prospects into a positive atmosphere as opposed to the unrelenting sadness that has been the past few seasons.

Just think, by year 5 or 6 , they can trade him to the contract graveyard know as Arizona.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Damn, that's a lot of years for a 3C. Will probably love him Years 1-4, not so much 5-6.
By years 5-6, he'll probably have moved down to 3C or 4C, and it's not like his play style ages horribly, it's all positioning. So I think he'll still be effective.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I like this a lot. I love defensive minded, responsible players and Danault was outstanding for MTL in the playoffs. some people are saying he's worse offensively than his numbers show because of his time with Gallagher but I dont buy it. anxious to see what this kid can do in LA!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
On the surface, I don't like this deal. The years and caphit are a bit over what I would have liked. However, you have a great leader and defensive stalwart who can really help this team get to the next level. The more I read, the more I like. Remember, a lot of his points are coming 5v5, not PP. I think his production goes up if you pair him with capable scoring threats.

Check this out:

Made me feel a lot better about this signing. Guys like this don't grow on trees. We had to up the $ and years to lock him up.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Loving this signing. Character. Great in the room and will help the kids....and even inspire all on the team...bet the vets feel great about getting him as well.

From
LA Kings sign forward Phillip Danault to six-year contract, $5.5 million AAV - LA Kings Insider

"""""Since he was acquired by the Canadiens during the 2015-16 season, Danault led all Montreal players in plus/minus (+47), faceoff wins (3,083) and faceoff win percentage (53.8%). He also ranked third in shorthanded time on ice (first among forwards, 711:25) and 12th in shorthanded time on ice per game (second among forwards).
The newest King is also a possession monster – The Canadiens controlled 58.5 percent of shot attempts with Danault on the ice this season, 58.6 percent of scoring chances and 56.5 percent of high-danger chances. With a goals for percentage of nearly 60 percent, things trended in the right direction with Danault on the ice."""

PK just got better. Kopi can play less PK. Danault's value to the Canadiens increased over time. Who says he can't play 2c here for at lest this year? Then slot to 3c when Byfield can take it.
The biggest hole was line 2 last few years. Danualt's numbers show he's capable of being able to handle 2C more than I would think Gabe can now, or Quinton could do this year.
Danault is a good playmaker and I think a Kaliyev, Kupari, Turcotte (lw?) or Vilardi (rw) can have success this season, with Danault centering them. A savvy vet that plays center well and
is a capable playmaker. Being that he is elite defensively, can make it easier on the rookies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kempe - Kopitar - Brown
Iafallo - Danault - Moore
Andersson - Vilardi - Arvidsson
Grundstrom - JAD - Lemieux
Lizotte, Wagner

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot - Roy
Edler - Walker
Maatta

Petersen
Quick

Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Kupari and Thomas in Ontario getting all chummy and building up chemistry.

So, why waste a dime on Athanasiou?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Loving this signing. Character. Great in the room and will help the kids....and even inspire all on the team...bet the vets feel great about getting him as well.

From
LA Kings sign forward Phillip Danault to six-year contract, $5.5 million AAV - LA Kings Insider

"""""Since he was acquired by the Canadiens during the 2015-16 season, Danault led all Montreal players in plus/minus (+47), faceoff wins (3,083) and faceoff win percentage (53.8%). He also ranked third in shorthanded time on ice (first among forwards, 711:25) and 12th in shorthanded time on ice per game (second among forwards).
The newest King is also a possession monster – The Canadiens controlled 58.5 percent of shot attempts with Danault on the ice this season, 58.6 percent of scoring chances and 56.5 percent of high-danger chances. With a goals for percentage of nearly 60 percent, things trended in the right direction with Danault on the ice."""

PK just got better. Kopi can play less PK. Danault's value to the Canadiens increased over time. Who says he can't play 2c here for at lest this year? Then slot to 3c when Byfield can take it.
The biggest hole was line 2 last few years. Danualt's numbers show he's capable of being able to handle 2C more than I would think Gabe can now, or Quinton could do this year.
Danault is a good playmaker and I think a Kaliyev, Kupari, Turcotte (lw?) or Vilardi (rw) can have success this season, with Danault centering them. A savvy vet that plays center well and
is a capable playmaker. Being that he is elite defensively, can make it easier on the rookies.

Absolutely - and pair that with excellent leadership. He will be great in the locker room and with the new guys. His compete level and character traits are contagious. Big reason why Montreal was so successful in the playoffs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Good news. So, this means Kopitar will have 100 points and 30 goals this season, because he can now put more energy into the offensive side of his game.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I was never against the idea of Danault and I can certainly see the benefits of signing a guy like him. That being said 6 years is a tough pill to swallow. Vilardi better start working on his wing play now before training camp starts
There are several would be young centers who better start working on their board play and getting pucks out past an opposition point man at the Kings' blue line.

Reactions: Piston

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Danault 5on5:
SeasonGPPTS/60S/60GA/60
2016-17821.871.9
2017-18521.56.72.5
2018-19812.16.12.7
2019-20712.56.52.4
2020-21531.85.11.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kopitar 5on5:
SeasonGPPTS/60S/60GA/60
2016-17761.45.22.3
2017-18822.35.82.2
2018-19811.552.9
2019-20701.84.82.1
2020-21561.85.92.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As you can see Danault is a very good point producer.

He addresses the Kings biggest needs. He's perfect.

It's the age and contract that's an issue. Will he maintain this level of play? And if so for how long?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Very similar cap percentage as the Handzus signing except Zeus was a tad older and also coming off an ACL tear while Danault is coming off a bit of a coming-out-party for his work in the recent playoffs.

Actually, the $5.5MM is under 7% of the current cap so Zeus's was higher. So this contract is not as bad cap wise but it lingers for two additional years.
Danault is also almost exactly 2 years younger than Handzus when he signed his deal.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This team just got a whole lot better. An elite defensive forward. He's going to be 29 next February, still plenty of good years left. I'm just hoping there is not an NMC attached to this deal. Limited NTC, I could live with.
Up to age 35 is fine. Defensive centermen usually age well. Good point on the NTC.

Blake did well with this one.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Danault 5on5:
SeasonGPPTS/60S/60GA/60
2016-17821.871.9
2017-18521.56.72.5
2018-19812.16.12.7
2019-20712.56.52.4
2020-21531.85.11.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kopitar 5on5:
SeasonGPPTS/60S/60GA/60
2016-17761.45.22.3
2017-18822.35.82.2
2018-19811.552.9
2019-20701.84.82.1
2020-21561.85.92.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As you can see Danault is a very good point producer.

He addresses the Kings biggest needs. He's perfect.

It's the age and contract that's an issue. Will he maintain this level of play? And if so for how long?

I don't think we are looking at a Carter type issue with his contract. He will still be pretty close to his prime years at the end of this.

You gotta like inserting him and Arvidsson on this team. Blake is probably taking a page out of the DL handbook with these signings. We just upped the compete level on this team by a sizable amount. Look no further than Ontario this year to see what the issue is with just inserting new, young players on a team without veteran leadership.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He reminds me a little of the Mark Stone trade and signing, obviously not of the same caliber, but he comes with a lot of intangibles and specializes in consistently doing just everything so well that it gets overlooked or undervalued by most laymen fans. I remember when everyone was howling laughing when the VGK grabbed Stone and signed him to that deal, but a season or two later nearly everyone would have wished they had him on their team. He is just a complete player and will do well in all situations and is a great presence in the locker room. He may even be Brown's replacement eventually... I am wary about the term, but as long as they utilize him right his production should always be enticing to other teams if we have to offload him, even on the Kings...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad