Value of: Kylington's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
To be fair to the Flames, this man was on waivers... and he's still a Flame today. A lot of people at the highest level of the sport passed when he was available for the modest cost of a waiver claim. A lot of people didn't see this start coming.

He certainly looks like a million bucks today. I'm not sure his agent will lunge for the phone to sign him to a long but low-AAV contract. It might be in the player's interest to aim higher than that. This is, of course, assuming that he can pair this extra gear with consistency.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If Flames could get him to sign 8 years $30M they should jump at it. But they never would.

Dude is an absolute stud whose development has been terribly managed. To this day they still aren't using him properly - he's the team's highest scoring defenseman but gets no PP time. He's 2nd only to Gaudreau in ES points.

ES points:
Kylington 12
Tanev 5
Zadorov 4
Gudbranson 4
Andersson 3
Hanifin 2

Yet somehow the bottom 2 guys run their 2 PP units...

It's amazing the flames have had any success in the last decade with how poorly they've developed and managed their assets.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I mean every team had the option to take him so either 1. he took massive strides from where he was last year (most likely) or 2. every GM is a terrible talent evaluator

While it's easy to sing a "hindsight is 20/20" tune later, the reality is that plenty of remotely intelligent people who watched Kylington play were saying that

i) The Flames were dumb to waive him
ii) The other 30 GMs were dumb to not claim him
iii) The Kraken were dumb to not take him in the expansion draft.

so "2. every GM is a terrible talent evaluator" is pretty spot-on. I'll give Bill Zito a pass though, I think he had just claimed Gustav Forsling a day prior. Which, you might recall, has worked out nicely for him.

Ledge And Dairy

While it's easy to sing a "hindsight is 20/20" tune later, the reality is that plenty of remotely intelligent people who watched Kylington play were saying that

i) The Flames were dumb to waive him
ii) The other 30 GMs were dumb to not claim him
iii) The Kraken were dumb to not take him in the expansion draft.

so "2. every GM is a terrible talent evaluator" is pretty spot-on. I'll give Bill Zito a pass though, I think he had just claimed Gustav Forsling a day prior. Which, you might recall, has worked out nicely for him.
No, that's so far from true. He was not at all good the last 2 years even when he did play. He always made very crucial give away's whenever he was the last man back and had no idea how to play defensively.

You can go on all you want and say "I told you so" but every GM and Seattle passing on him means he very likely reevaluated himself this offseason and drastically improved into what he is now. He's always had the potential but never put it together until now and the coaching staff, scouting staff from other teams, and analytics all back that up. He is not the same player that was placed on waivers a year ago
ErjIDZ8XUAIlwHy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You wait until the summer. See if the guy can play for a full year without reverting to garbage. If he keeps it up they won't mind paying him.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
No, that's so far from true. He was not at all good the last 2 years even when he did play. He always made very crucial give away's whenever he was the last man back and had no idea how to play defensively.

You can go on all you want and say "I told you so" but every GM and Seattle passing on him means he very likely reevaluated himself this offseason and drastically improved into what he is now. He's always had the potential but never put it together until now and the coaching staff, scouting staff from other teams, and analytics all back that up. He is not the same player that was placed on waivers a year ago
ErjIDZ8XUAIlwHy

Using stats for a guy anchored to Mike Stone with some of the least sustainablely low on-ice shooting percentages in the league lol, while barely even playing for Geoff Ward

You're welcome to buy this nonsense but I've seen Kylington play at a 1D level every time I've watched him outside of like, two weeks a long time ago when he was genuinely struggling to play with confidence... as a rookie

Ask @WhiskeyYourTheDevils how long he's been the Flames' best D (maybe aside from Brodie/NorrisGio). It's a lot longer than a few months.

Ledge And Dairy

Using stats for a guy anchored to Mike Stone with some of the least sustainablely low on-ice shooting percentages in the league lol, while barely even playing for Geoff Ward

You're welcome to buy this nonsense but I've seen Kylington play at a 1D level every time I've watched him outside of like, two weeks a long time ago when he was genuinely struggling to play with confidence... as a rookie

Ask @WhiskeyYourTheDevils how long he's been the Flames' best D (maybe aside from Brodie/NorrisGio). It's a lot longer than a few months.
Why would I ever ask him that? He's as delusional as you on here. How can you possibly say he played at a 1D level when he tried to dodge a forecheck nearly every game with a spin-o-rama while being the last man back, fell and then coughed up the puck? How can you blame Stone for his shortcomings when his most common linemate in 18/19 was Andersson at 66%, Andersson again in 19/20 at 61%, Valimaki in 20/21 at 53%, and Tanev this year? How can you blame Geoff Ward alone when 3 different coaches (2 of which are considered above average coaches) all decided he was not good enough. Hell Sutter was even asked multiple times last year about Kylington and said he needed to work on a lot of things. This is not something that has been in the works for a while now, Kylington went and reinvented himself as a player in the offseason, came into camp in excellent shape, and is now proving that he can reach that potential that was almost lost. Kylington was a defensive trainwreck before this year and that was very clear in nearly every game he played, that is no longer the case as he has changed his game to be a more rounded 2-way player. Albeit a very small sample size of success

The stats I provided are legitimate and with legitimate defense partners, all you've done is dismiss my stats by deflecting the blame onto a 3rd party that isn't even a logical target for the blame. This is nothing new with you or Whiskey. You preach your hot takes and every once in a while your broken clocks are correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I mean every team had the option to take him so either 1. he took massive strides from where he was last year (most likely) or 2. every GM is a terrible talent evaluator
Or 3. He finally has a competent coach who told him what to work on over the offseason and then put him a position to succeed. Calgary has had ridiculously bad coaching for years that has stunted the growth of the team and rookie players.

Ledge And Dairy

Or 3. He finally has a competent coach who told him what to work on over the offseason and then put him a position to succeed. Calgary has had ridiculously bad coaching for years that has stunted the growth of the team and rookie players.
Peters knew how to coach, there was just a scandal with him. Sutter is a better coach but Peters was not a bad coach by any means

Reactions: Nanuuk

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Peters was okay but I never considered him to be a high end coach, I will admit that he was miles better than Gulutzan and Ward. Treliving sucks at hiring coaches unless forced to pick someone by ownership.

Ledge And Dairy

Peters was okay but I never considered him to be a high end coach, I will admit that he was miles better than Gulutzan and Ward. Treliving sucks at hiring coaches unless forced to pick someone by ownership.
I highly doubt it was Treliving's decision to have the lowest paid coach in the league, that is definitely on ownership

Reactions: Nanuuk

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Only watched one Flames game this year so I was surprised to see his current numbers when stat watching.It sounds like he is playing well?

I might be wrong but I sort of remember him being projected as a 1st round player early in his draft year like top 10 or top 15 before dropping late into the 2nd round so it seems like the talent was always there.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I highly doubt it was Treliving's decision to have the lowest paid coach in the league, that is definitely on ownership
Disagree. Ownership has no problem spending to the cap and there is no proof that they won't spend on coaches. Treliving trying to be the smartest guy in the room led to Gulutzan, Peters was making a good salary by all accounts. Again no proof but after multiple coaching failures I'm convinced that ownership forced the Sutter hire, I doubt he is a cheap salary.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would I ever ask him that? He's as delusional as you on here. How can you possibly say he played at a 1D level when he tried to dodge a forecheck nearly every game with a spin-o-rama while being the last man back, fell and then coughed up the puck? How can you blame Stone for his shortcomings when his most common linemate in 18/19 was Andersson at 66%, Andersson again in 19/20 at 61%, Valimaki in 20/21 at 53%, and Tanev this year? How can you blame Geoff Ward alone when 3 different coaches (2 of which are considered above average coaches) all decided he was not good enough. Hell Sutter was even asked multiple times last year about Kylington and said he needed to work on a lot of things. This is not something that has been in the works for a while now, Kylington went and reinvented himself as a player in the offseason, came into camp in excellent shape, and is now proving that he can reach that potential that was almost lost. Kylington was a defensive trainwreck before this year and that was very clear in nearly every game he played, that is no longer the case as he has changed his game to be a more rounded 2-way player. Albeit a very small sample size of success

The stats I provided are legitimate and with legitimate defense partners, all you've done is dismiss my stats by deflecting the blame onto a 3rd party that isn't even a logical target for the blame. This is nothing new with you or Whiskey. You preach your hot takes and every once in a while your broken clocks are correct.
It's got to be hard being this obstinate and this wrong. I watch all of these threads. Whiskey has pretty much been right about every single thing except Tkachuk and you've pretty much been wrong about every single thing. Monahan sucks, you were wrong he was right. Bennett is good, you were wrong he was right. Gaudreau is the key to our offense. You were wrong and he was right. Kylington is what he is, you were wrong and he was right.

This isn't a broken clock thing. It's a 1 person knows how to evaluate and the other doesn't.

I agreed with you on Monahan. I was wrong, Whiskey was right. Not that hard to admit. You just make yourself look like a tool when you can't admit you were wrong.

Ledge And Dairy

It's got to be hard being this obstinate and this wrong. I watch all of these threads. Whiskey has pretty much been right about every single thing except Tkachuk and you've pretty much been wrong about every single thing. Monahan sucks, you were wrong he was right. Bennett is good, you were wrong he was right. Gaudreau is the key to our offense. You were wrong and he was right. Kylington is what he is, you were wrong and he was right.

This isn't a broken clock thing. It's a 1 person knows how to evaluate and the other doesn't.

I agreed with you on Monahan. I was wrong, Whiskey was right. Not that hard to admit. You just make yourself look like a tool when you can't admit you were wrong.
LMAO what? I've never said Gaudreau wasn't a key to Calgary's offense, nor Bennett was a bad player. Monahan is still a fine player, he is still not a 3rd/4th line winger that both OKG and Whiskey are determined on saying. Kylington was never good before this season, I have proven that in above posts. I am not the only one that thinks all 3 of you have been known for very bad takes in fact I remember yo getting ridiculed by a collection of Rangers fans this summer for your horrible takes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree. He's not a driver, but I think you leave out the way he gets pucks out when they come up the wall.

Yeah he's especially good on his RW wall, his ability to collect the puck and open up looking for the stretch pass for Gaudreau has been instrumental in that line's success. Either connecting for a Gaudreau rush or pushing the defense back enough to allow for an easy breakout for Lindholm (or often Kylington, ironically enough).

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Personally I think Oliver matured a lot in the off season and this was evidenced by his trip to Africa with Johnny Oduya to promote hockey. He learned a lot about himself and life in general. The 'new' Kylington takes the game more seriously in terms of trying to be that consistent hockey player that Coach Sutter can rely on.

Kylington, Oduya helping to grow hockey in Africa - National Teams of Ice Hockey

Here is what former Flame Hakan Loob has to say about Kylington.

‘It’s time to shine’: Loob thrilled to see Kylington flourishing with Flames | Calgary Sun

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
LMAO what? I've never said Gaudreau wasn't a key to Calgary's offense, nor Bennett was a bad player.

Yet the WAR junk you keep posting about Kylington would support any assertion that Bennett was a bad player, because of how much context is lost.

Monahan is still a fine player, he is still not a 3rd/4th line winger that both OKG and Whiskey are determined on saying.

He is literally the Flames' third line centre right now, and that line is stumbling along rather than thriving despite an absolute burner in Dube and a responsible, strong skating winger in Pitlick. Anyone who's watched that line could tell you the biggest issue is Sean Monahan... a guy like JG Pageau would be a significant upgrade at 3C. So what is Sean Monahan if not a lower-end middle six winger (and no one has ever slotted him as a 4th liner).

Kylington was never good before this season, I have proven that in above posts.

You proved nothing, other than how misleading stats can be when on-ice SH% and QoT are very, very low.

I am not the only one that thinks all 3 of you have been known for very bad takes in fact I remember yo getting ridiculed by a collection of Rangers fans this summer for your horrible takes.

Those takes you call horrible are the ones that are consistently correct. I wonder what that says about you.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Respectfully, Kylington has always had a higher ceiling than Valimaki. The question has always been Kylington's floor. But there was one point where Kylington was projected to go top 5 in a stacked draft class.
At what point was Kylington (who was drafted with the last pick of the 2nd round) projected to go top 5 in arguably the most stacked draft of all time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad