Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
I wouldn't worry about *****'s defensive shortcomings if I were the coach, as his offensive scoring that wins us games, more tha make up for it.
I think we have had lot of depate here for this subject. And it hasn't been pretty time to time. :naughty:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Since 2018-19, Kyle Connor has been outscored while on the ice at 5v5: -14, 47.15% GF, 4th worst F on the Jets over that span. No Jet forward has been on the ice for more goals against the last three seasons than Connor. (Ehlers is +25).

There's clearly an issue with KC in his own end -
So, we have a couple of options:

1 - We team him up with players that are stronger defensively that can also play a fast offensive game
2 - We hope he gets better defensively

Looks like they are looking at option one with the addition of PLD - he should make a great fit in setting up this line to score a pile of points and be better defensively.

Why don't we see how that works out rather than the continued "He sucks at D" feedback that is recycled every time this thread gets a refresh.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Argh... fancy SHOTS!!!

JFgoa6.gif

Girl Drink Drunk!

God I miss the Kids In The Hall.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

1 - We team him up with players that are stronger defensively that can also play a fast offensive game

Looks like they are looking at option one with the addition of PLD - he should make a great fit in setting up this line to score a pile of points and be better defensively.

Why don't we see how that works out rather than the continued "He sucks at D" feedback that is recycled every time this thread gets a refresh.
Kinda what i said. :laugh: I guarantee you every other team in the NHL would love Connor on their team.Oh and you NEVER hear him bitch if he gets moved off of the #1 line either or who he's playing with.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wheeler + Connor on ice = 32.56 xGf%
Connor without Wheeler = 33.26 xGf%
Wheeler without Connor = 41.17 xGf%

Jets without Wheeler or Connor on ice = 55.06xGf%
wheeler has been crap but playing a majoirty of this season with KC really does shit on his numbers further.

pld is not some stalwart defensively. idk why people think this?

fact is he is garbage defensively and has been for years, and this deserves to get commented on. just like it was for other plays (laine, scheifele, wheeler etc.).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
KC is the most overrated Jet. He has some great puck skills around the net, but he's just not anywhere near as good as his scoring numbers lead people to believe. Connor was the player to trade from a pure hockey standpoint.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
wheeler has been crap but playing a majoirty of this season with KC really does shit on his numbers further.

pld is not some stalwart defensively. idk why people think this?

fact is he is garbage defensively and has been for years, and this deserves to get commented on. just like it was for other plays (laine, scheifele, wheeler etc.).

OK - fill your boots -
I'm only asking that we might wait and see if the changes have any impact on the overall performance of the line.
It's not like this territory hasn't been covered to the point where it is crystal clear - those that think it "deserves" to be hammered a bit more, feel free.
Regardless of how much it might be "deserved", how many different ways does it have to be said?
He sucks defensively - maybe with PLD, there might be an improvement - idk why we can't wait and see. Or is it really necessarily that the same points be repeated over and over again while we wait. whatever.

Reactions: Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
KC is the most overrated Jet. He has some great puck skills around the net, but he's just not anywhere near as good as his scoring numbers lead people to believe. Connor was the player to trade from a pure hockey standpoint.

Then lets move him -
I don't know how to respond to a post like this - he's the most over rated Jet? Based on what - my posts? Because for the most part, he doesn't get a lot of love in this thread or in most others.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
OK - fill your boots -
I'm only asking that we might wait and see if the changes have any impact on the overall performance of the line.
It's not like this territory hasn't been covered to the point where it is crystal clear - those that think it "deserves" to be hammered a bit more, feel free.
Regardless of how much it might be "deserved", how many different ways does it have to be said?
He sucks defensively - maybe with PLD, there might be an improvement - idk why we can't wait and see. Or is it really necessarily that the same points be repeated over and over again while we wait. whatever.
lol well when there's some positive on-ice results from the "wait and see" period, we can comment on them. but fact is, that's few and far between.

if you have issues with ppl shitting on kc put the posts on ignore. ppl are just posting on what they see on-ice or what the stats bear out.

fact is he's been terrible defensively for a while, and we've hoped and prayed his game gets better, and this year seems like it is an at an all time worst. if you chose to ignore it do you then.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Then lets move him -
I don't know how to respond to a post like this - he's the most over rated Jet? Based on what - my posts? Because for the most part, he doesn't get a lot of love in this thread or in most others.
He is the most overrated. Perception vs reality. His market value is easily the most inflated. From a hockey perspective if the Jets were going to move anyone of value Connor would be the choice. If I had to pick who to trade out of Laine, Connor or Ehlers I would choose Connor all day based on hockey reasons.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
lol well when there's some positive on-ice results from the "wait and see" period, we can comment on them. but fact is, that's few and far between.

if you have issues with ppl shitting on kc put the posts on ignore. ppl are just posting on what they see on-ice or what the stats bear out.

fact is he's been terrible defensively for a while, and we've hoped and prayed his game gets better, and this year seems like it is an at an all time worst. if you chose to ignore it do you then.

Every player gets there share of the pounding - sometimes it the same fans and sometimes it's everyone taking a crack.
What I find interesting is that he doesn't get much credit for his scoring or strong play when it happens (unless he sucks full time and any accomplishment up to now, is negated by his D game).
Take a look at this thread and if you have some time on your hands, review what is said about the player over the years.
It's interesting that this thread was pretty much dead LY when he came out on top of the Jet's goal scoring in what was not a great year for the team.
He finished top ten in the league (goals) and yet it's not mentioned to any extent - 2020 is a black hole for KC in the KC thread - you might have thought there would be something positive to say but not much.

So don't take my rant as a fan who doesn't like his fav player getting beat up - it's not about that for me. It's more about the balance of the feedback he gets.
But you're right - I don't have a lot of control over that or how fans will treat a team member - and my post was a waste of time considering the feedback it is getting (mostly).
I won't step in again - lesson learned.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
perhaps you visit the wrong places. he gets tons of credit for his scoring. he just finished top 10 in the nhl in goals last year and top 15 in pts and lots of people points this out over the off-season. there must be a different thread for him b/c i pointed out how prolific offensively he's been

edit ie this thread
Player Discussion: - Kyle Connor is a machine.

Every player gets there share of the pounding - sometimes it the same fans and sometimes it's everyone taking a crack.
What I find interesting is that he doesn't get much credit for his scoring or strong play when it happens (unless he sucks full time and any accomplishment up to now, is negated by his D game).
Take a look at this thread and if you have some time on your hands, review what is said about the player over the years.
It's interesting that this thread was pretty much dead LY when he came out on top of the Jet's goal scoring in what was not a great year for the team.
He finished top ten in the league (goals) and yet it's not mentioned to any extent - 2020 is a black hole for KC in the KC thread - you might have thought there would be something positive to say but not much.

So don't take my rant as a fan who doesn't like his fav player getting beat up - it's not about that for me. It's more about the balance of the feedback he gets.
But you're right - I don't have a lot of control over that or how fans will treat a team member - and my post was a waste of time considering the feedback it is getting (mostly).
I won't step in again - lesson learned.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He is the most overrated. Perception vs reality. His market value is easily the most inflated. From a hockey perspective if the Jets were going to move anyone of value Connor would be the choice. If I had to pick who to trade out of Laine, Connor or Ehlers I would choose Connor all day based on hockey reasons.

Over rated by who? His own team mate (PLD) was quoted recently stating KC is very under rated in the league.

As per TSN:
Dubois spoke highly of the Jets' forward depth after practice, especially at centre, and said he feels his new winger Connor is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

Dubois lauds Jets' depth, calls Connor one of the most underrated players in NHL

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
perhaps you visit the wrong places. he gets tons of credit for his scoring. he just finished top 10 in the nhl in goals last year and top 15 in pts and lots of people points this out over the off-season. there must be a different thread for him b/c i pointed out how prolific offensively he's been

edit ie this thread
Player Discussion: - Kyle Connor is a machine.

Yup, I forgot about that one - thanks for posting the link.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
We need to see how Kyle and Wheeler does away from Schiefele 5on5 for extended period of time.

Sometimes its Schiefele we under estimate how good he is how he elevates people offensively.

@pucka lucka is right with his assessment re who should have been moved for pure hockey standpoint and positional strength of the team with Ehlers and Perfetti similar position and playing style.

But other stuff got involve in the situation.
Including fault by Laine also.
Its been done but it is something that will mark this team for awhile specially if Laine keep scroing goals the next 10 years. Well after Wheeler retires and Maurice is not coaching anymore.

KC is good, hopefully he can stand on his own defensively. And doesnt need Dubois to do it

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really want to be all in on Connor, because I love his offensive brilliance and goal scoring ability. But I can't get over the frustration of watching him muff zone exits and transitions repeatedly, and then watch as his line chases around in its own zone. I really wish there was an obvious way to identify and rectify whatever it is that impedes his ability in that area. Three things I have noticed as I try to watch closer: 1) he is slow to anticipate when he needs to jump on an opportunity to go for the puck in his own zone; 2) he is somewhat timid when there is a board battle looming, so he shies away from the puck when he needs to dig in; 3) he is too casual in his decisions and plays to move the puck when he does have it in his own zone.

I've contrasted this with Ehlers, who is an absolute genius. Ehlers is very quick to recognize opportunities to get on a puck in his defensive region, and gets to pucks faster than opponents. He has a wider set of strategies for moving the puck when he has it in his own zone, including a strategy of taking the puck deeper into his zone away from pinching D and forecheckers. He actually finds soft spots down the boards towards his own goal line and either circles and finds space, or gets the puck to his D behind his net or on the other side of his net to reverse the puck for an exit out the other side. Ehlers is also more inclined to take a hit to get his stick on the puck first, either chipping it to a puck-supporting teammate or moving even smothering it and then working from a stalemate instead of giving it up easily.

I think the easiest way for Connor to improve his zone play with the puck might be to use Ehlers' strategy of "reversing" the puck - taking it deeper into his own corner from high up the half wall and creating space and options to reverse the puck for a cleaner exit the other way. He has the skill and speed to do this, but is much more inclined to make a half-hearted attempt to clear the zone than he is to try to hang onto the puck and find space. It's notable that both Ehlers and Connor excel at creating space for themselves with the puck in the offensive zone, but only Ehlers tends to use his quickness and agility to carry the puck into safer areas in his own zone.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
What do everyone in the top-6 have in common? They get shat on even when the team is winning.
Wheeler, Ehlers, O’Connor, Laine, Scheifele... all have gotten their fair share of criticism, far moreso than the top-6 on other boards. The Jets are doing good.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really want to be all in on Connor, because I love his offensive brilliance and goal scoring ability. But I can't get over the frustration of watching him muff zone exits and transitions repeatedly, and then watch as his line chases around in its own zone. I really wish there was an obvious way to identify and rectify whatever it is that impedes his ability in that area. Three things I have noticed as I try to watch closer: 1) he is slow to anticipate when he needs to jump on an opportunity to go for the puck in his own zone; 2) he is somewhat timid when there is a board battle looming, so he shies away from the puck when he needs to dig in; 3) he is too casual in his decisions and plays to move the puck when he does have it in his own zone.

I've contrasted this with Ehlers, who is an absolute genius. Ehlers is very quick to recognize opportunities to get on a puck in his defensive region, and gets to pucks faster than opponents. He has a wider set of strategies for moving the puck when he has it in his own zone, including a strategy of taking the puck deeper into his zone away from pinching D and forecheckers. He actually finds soft spots down the boards towards his own goal line and either circles and finds space, or gets the puck to his D behind his net or on the other side of his net to reverse the puck for an exit out the other side. Ehlers is also more inclined to take a hit to get his stick on the puck first, either chipping it to a puck-supporting teammate or moving even smothering it and then working from a stalemate instead of giving it up easily.

I think the easiest way for Connor to improve his zone play with the puck might be to use Ehlers' strategy of "reversing" the puck - taking it deeper into his own corner from high up the half wall and creating space and options to reverse the puck for a cleaner exit the other way. He has the skill and speed to do this, but is much more inclined to make a half-hearted attempt to clear the zone than he is to try to hang onto the puck and find space. It's notable that both Ehlers and Connor excel at creating space for themselves with the puck in the offensive zone, but only Ehlers tends to use his quickness and agility to carry the puck into safer areas in his own zone.

Yea I think he needs to be sheltered more with heavy O zone starts. He is a liability in our zone. Very passive, very tentative, very slow thought process.

Great weapon in the O zone but he is as one dimensional as they come.

Reactions: hn777

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

I have to wonder how much of this is coaching, and Connor doing what coaches expect of him. Ehlers has been in the doghouse probably more than any other top 6 talent, and Connor gets endless praise from Maurice, along with ice time.

Reactions: hn777

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am the first to say though we need goals and that’s what Kyle does really well. So many really good goal scorers over the years were pretty one dimensional and it’s ok to have an asset like this. Dude is as slick as they get in the O zone. Also Kyle is not a Prima Donna which is very much a positive. By all accounts he is one of the most low maintenance guys on this team which is a rare element in a top scorer.

thetracksuit

Nov 25, 2015

Yeowza. Sizzling hot take.

I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's completely wrong.

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad