Confirmed with Link: Kruger 3 year, $9.25m extension

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
A bit rich but he's proven his worth in the last couple of Cup runs. But I won't be stressing about the cap situation, nothing I can do about it anyways and I am not getting paid to worry about it either. Stan hopefully knows what he's doing, so far all these cap challenges and solutions have been successful.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
I'm wondering if this was kind of a finagling of this years cap situation by Bowman? Sign him on the cheap for this year, with a promise to extend for an overpayment later on. If you combine what he's being paid this year, then factor in the extension, he's getting around 2.66 AAV over 4 years, probably fair value, IMO.

Yeah, I posted this on the main board as well. I think there's a good chance this is what happened.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
I'm wondering if this was kind of a finagling of this years cap situation by Bowman? Sign him on the cheap for this year, with a promise to extend for an overpayment later on. If you combine what he's being paid this year, then factor in the extension, he's getting around 2.66 AAV over 4 years, probably fair value, IMO.

Yeah, I agree with you and Robin. It's only a $500k higher hit than it would have been. Pretty logical. Still a little nervous about the cap. I wonder how if he reads these boards to see reactions.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Yeah, I agree with you and Robin. It's only a $500k higher hit than it would have been. Pretty logical. Still a little nervous about the cap. I wonder how if he reads these boards to see reactions.

Makes me think Bickell could also be moved at the draft to a team that won't be competing next year for whatever sweetener we may have to offer up. Hell, could even be a Bickell/Shaw package to Toronto, possibly.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This seems really rich. Wasn't this one of those contracts (like Kelly) that really got Boston in trouble? First name I thought of.

I like roadkill alot, but not for more than 2mil.

I'm thinking a bunch of thoughts:
Bowman must have a way to unload Bickell linedup already
The cap is going up a little more than anticipated
He has plans to land cheap wings lined up already
He's taking care of Kruger for outplaying his previous contracts.
Shaw is gone

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
8G 20A in 81 GP
7G 10A in 81 GP
0G 1A in 33 GP

He has actually REGRESSED offensively. How can you justify paying Kruger that much money?

It's not like someone was going to offer sheet him. If they did, there's zero chance it's anything more than $2M per.

Kruger should be making no more than $2M per season over a 3 year deal. This is another absurd overpayment.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Wow, I don't get it. Things are gonna be pretty tight next season but I mostly worry about this effecting our ability to extend Panrin, TT, ect in a couple years.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
As I said when he signed the one year deal in July, he'd make it up with this one.

Not sure why anyone is surprised

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
8G 20A in 81 GP
7G 10A in 81 GP
0G 1A in 33 GP

He has actually REGRESSED offensively. How can you justify paying Kruger that much money?

It's not like someone was going to offer sheet him. If they did, there's zero chance it's anything more than $2M per.

Kruger should be making no more than $2M per season over a 3 year deal. This is another absurd overpayment.

He's not a RFA for the next 3 seasons.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
This seems really rich. Wasn't this one of those contracts (like Kelly) that really got Boston in trouble? First name I thought of.

I like roadkill alot, but not for more than 2mil.

I'm thinking a bunch of thoughts:
Bowman must have a way to unload Bickell linedup already
The cap is going up a little more than anticipated
He has plans to land cheap wings lined up already
He's taking care of Kruger for outplaying his previous contracts.
Shaw is gone

I agree. I think he's got a deal for Bickell in place, and someone in the know at the league offices has assured him the cap is going up.

Maybe he held on to Bickell for postseason insurance.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As I said when he signed the one year deal in July, he'd make it up with this one.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Almost have to look at it as part of an overall four-year deal and assume that they had a deal under the table for accepting a short term, low-pay deal this past year.

Even still though, a couple red flags here.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
8G 20A in 81 GP
7G 10A in 81 GP
0G 1A in 33 GP

You don't understand the value Kruger has if you just look at his goal and assists numbers.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Shaw's gone unless Bowman can rid himself of Bickell.

I understand this contract though. Anisimov isn't good at the dot, and it's still too early to judge Teuvo's faceoff abilities. We needed a guy besides just Toews to win us those draws (as well as be a solid PKer).

Still, not a cheap contract for a cash strapped team dealing with a cap that might not increase.

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing either. Stan can point to this for other signings and say, "Hey, take the smaller deal right now. Help us compete for another Cup. And I've got you on the next one."

And if they don't want that, he'll flip them like Brandon Saad into Anisimov and a top line rental. All about winning as many Cups as possible while we can. You don't get a core like this every day.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Heh.. I called this in the Shaw vs Kruger thread but damn... didn't think he'd get this much. Glad to have him back though.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's the range guys like Boyd Gordon or other defensive shutdown centers people get. I don't still get how at this point in time people don't get how defensive centers go.

Though it's not a set thing that signing a contract makes him not tradable during the summer at the draft or something.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This had to be promised to him before the season with him taking the one year cheap deal. Stan isn't going back on his word. Have to see how it all works out, but man I will be dissapointed if Shaw is gone because of this. I rate Shaw way more important then Kruger.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010

Bingo. The dude is getting paid after agreeing to play (or sit on the IR) this year with the promise of more money to come. I've never been a fan of the amounts Stan has thrown out to players so this isn't that surprising I guess. Compared to other teams I feel like most of our roster is overpaid but they get results so I can't really argue with it.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Kinda rich, but then again Bolland's 3.375M deal in 2010 was 5.9% of the cap. Assuming this year's cap bucks it's about 4.3% of the cap--or the 2010 equivalent of 2.45M.

If there is no NMC, or a *very* limited NTC I think it will be okay.

On a positive note, yeah, Kruger was bad what little time he saw this season, but the other aspect is that when he was playing, anyone not named Panarin, Kane, Anisimov, and Crawford was also not very good, as well.

Assuming this season's cap, we have 5 FWDS and 2 D to sign next season with 6.12M of cap space. That's tight. I have to be running under the assumption that *someone* is moving in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad