Confirmed Signing with Link: Kris Versteeg signs PTO with EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
That actually looks like a good top nine.

But the problem for Edmonton is any team that would have been interested in Yakupov will now turn their attention to Versteeg. He will be cheaper.

Versteeg is the victim of the Expansion Draft. Like many others older players. Teams are streamlining in preparation. They don't want to bring in guys they know they could lose if they aren't able to protect them.
Once that draft is over, things will begin to normalize.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
But the problem for Edmonton is any team that would have been interested in Yakupov will now turn their attention to Versteeg. He will be cheaper.

Versteeg is the victim of the Expansion Draft. Like many others older players. Teams are streamlining in preparation. They don't want to bring in guys they know they could lose if they aren't able to protect them.

Not sure about that. The Flyers signed Weise knowing full well they could lose him in the ED.

They will definitely protect Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds. Then to get to seven protected forwards they will have to pick two of these four guys:

Weise
Raffl
Laughton
Cousins

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not sure about that. The Flyers signed Weise knowing full well they could lose him in the ED.

They will definitely protect Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds. Then to get to seven protected forwards they will have to pick two of these four guys:

Weise
Raffl
Laughton
Cousins

I think this expansion draft is really messing with the system. GMs are trying to figure out their protected lists, what they can get for the best of their exposed players in trade, all while still doing the usual of building winning teams.
This seasons Trade Day is going to be nuts.

Philly will likely go with those you mentioned plus Raffl and Laughton.
Weise and Cousins will be exposed.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sign somewhere...get traded to contender at TDL...wash, rinse, repeat.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I am surprised at how many are not concerned about a possible physical issue, when hoping to see Versteeg with their team. I am sure SC Bern was ecstatic to have Versteeg and this is a hard blow for them. If whatever issue is bad enough not to pass the physical, it would be more of a worry for Versteeg on an NHL team, as play is way more physical in the NHL than in Switzerland.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
*shrugs*

He'll sign for a bad team and then be traded for peanuts at the deadline like usual. He shows just enough upside to keep getting work, but he goes invisible for months at a time preventing long-term work. Frankly I was hoping he would stay in Europe for the rest of his career because I'm just sick of hearing about him and fans inexplicably wishing he was on their team despite his months-long disappearing acts.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I heard SC Bern wasn't aware of his hip surgery from a few years ago and wasn't able to get insured to play.

Not an ongoing injury situation, but an insurability one... at least that's what we're being told :dunno:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I think it has less to do with worrying about them getting drafted then them needing to see what it actually is they have in their younger guys who are currently NHL players.

I mean Versteeg is without a doubt (at least based off of last year) still an NHL middle 6 forward. And while those are valuable, so are young players who can perform the same role.

5 Hole

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Kris, Nashville has a #1LW spot with your name on it. You don't have to worry about playing defense or hustling or anything. Literally just chill out until RyJo or Neal feed you the puck. It's a perfect fit.

Thank you, it's rare around here - but this made me literally laugh out loud. :yo:

5 Hole

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
I liked him when he first showed up on the panthers.. then his disappearing act started and he was a real punk on the way out, so I say forget him. He made his bed.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I think this expansion draft is really messing with the system. GMs are trying to figure out their protected lists, what they can get for the best of their exposed players in trade, all while still doing the usual of building winning teams.
This seasons Trade Day is going to be nuts.

Philly will likely go with those you mentioned plus Raffl and Laughton.
Weise and Cousins will be exposed.

No!!! I hope Cousins out plays Laughton and Weise so the Flyers protect Cousins.
Cousins is under rated because he doesn't have the experience of playing in a full NHL season yet hopefully that will change this season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

That's too bad. Canucks could use him to add a little bit more scoring depth to one of their 2a/2b lines. Or 3a/3b, depending on how you want to frame it. :D Right in Versteeg's sort of middle-6 wheelhouse on either line.

Versteeg back on the market is really the only halfway acceptable option out there as a UFA. But i guess they're just going all in on hoping for bigtime development from some of the young players. :dunno:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Oh, oh..... I'm betting Bergevin's gonna be calling.
Can already see it...
Sign Versteeg cheap for the 3rd line, move Shaw to the 2nd LW.

And let Lekhonen, Reway, McCarron and Hudon rot in the AHL.

I'd be happy with him getting a PTO with us. Compete with the kids for the 3LW spot ( I don't think he would get the 2LW in his current state). If the kids can't beat Versteeg, they shouldn't be in the NHL this year anyway.

We need to make the kids earn it and have a back-up plan if they don't.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Why would Versteeg do a PTO unless it was for a team that he really, really wanted to be on? I get that it's late in the off-season and what-not, but Versteeg is a weird candidate for a PTO, regardless.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Why would Versteeg do a PTO unless it was for a team that he really, really wanted to be on? I get that it's late in the off-season and what-not, but Versteeg is a weird candidate for a PTO, regardless.

Not if you believe the reports that his Swiss league contract was voided not because of an insurance issue from an injury years ago, but rather reports are saying he failed his physical.

If the latter is true, a PTO is likely all he gets from any team at this point

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
That's too bad. Canucks could use him to add a little bit more scoring depth to one of their 2a/2b lines. Or 3a/3b, depending on how you want to frame it. :D Right in Versteeg's sort of middle-6 wheelhouse on either line.

Versteeg back on the market is really the only halfway acceptable option out there as a UFA. But i guess they're just going all in on hoping for bigtime development from some of the young players. :dunno:

Benning couldn't sleep at night if there were a possibility of Dorsett being pushed out of the lineup. This is what our RW is projected to be next year IMO.
Eriksson
Hansen
Rodin/Virtanen
Dorsett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad