Speculation: Kris Letang requested a trade to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Meh, he set up the GWG.

Well, the context of the discussion was that he puts up points but gives up more than he puts up. They said I didn't know who he was. My point was even in his prime he was suspect defensively

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, the context of the discussion was that he puts up points but gives up more than he puts up. They said I didn't know who he was. My point was even in his prime he was suspect defensively

Well, in the case you provided, Karlsson scored a goal, notched two assists and was a +3 in a game where one of his assists was on the GWG in OT.

So perhaps not the best example of giving up more than he allows.

I would never characterize any game after his Matt Cooke injury as his prime either.

Reactions: RickyLafleur

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Even if true, Pens would need to take Anderson's/Gally's contract and then add high value player/multiples picks to make this even a little bit enticing. Which would not happen since Pens are about to go in a rebuild anyway.

Doesn't make any sense for either team so He can wish all he wants, but it's just not a real possibility.

Even if Pitts retain salary AND take 17/11's contract, we don't even have a spot for Letang with all the kids pushing in. We wouldn't have the option to flip him either in 2 years since he asked to come here and we obliged him. That would just be shitty for him and his family.

Solid no from both team.

Reactions: pth2

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Well, in the case you provided, Karlsson scored a goal, notched two assists and was a +3 in a game where one of his assists was on the GWG in OT.

So perhaps not the best example of giving up more than he allows.

I would never characterize any game after his Matt Cooke injury as his prime either.

Again, we're talking about current day Karlsson

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We agree that the Habs don't need Letang.
BUT as we are just having a FUN summer conversation...
(ie. don't take this too seriously)

Would anything change if Pittsburgh retained 50% of the salary?

A 3.05M/yr cap hit would be more palatable for 4 years.
Also factoring in assuming 2 years of 1st pairing role, 1 year 2nd pairing, and 1 year of 3rd pairing.

Basically pending UFA David Savard gets traded at the trade deadline (if needed), which basically means break even the next few years.

I could see the fit in terms of personnel, but I do not see an appropriate offer that Habs could make. I mean, it would require basically draft picks and prospects, which Habs would likely want to keep for their own rebuild.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Letting wouldn't fetch much with that contract. Pitts really needs to start thinking about shedding contracts.
The Big 3 will retire Pens. Geno will play a year or two in Russia, but no where else in the NHL. Sid has already stated that he wants to finish his career here. We won our cups, assets for our franchise players arent going to help a rebuild that will be a full burn it to the ground.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
lol, because Montreal needs more D, and an expensive near the end of his career type (doesnt matter he is still good)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How do you report a whole thread?

Mark Madden isn't a Penguins reporter, he's not a source.

Can one of the mods lock this thing down?

@MMC @LT @BHD
I mean, I don't like Madden that much, but he's a well know Penguins media person. I wouldn't call him an insider but he covers them regularly. He's typically in the post-game pressers.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
How do you report a whole thread?

Mark Madden isn't a Penguins reporter, he's not a source.

Can one of the mods lock this thing down?

@MMC @LT @BHD
austin-powers.gif

No one is forcing you to read the thread. Its August, this is what August hockey talk is about when the Oilers arent getting offer sheeted.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Letang signed to stay in Pittsburgh
His contract is atrocious for the habs or anyone else.

Madden just wanted to use the french canadian tool for clicks , sure worked
At 36 for 6.1m/yr he put up 51pts on a shit show of a team that struggled to score for 80% of the season and Letang played all 82 games.

But ok.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
When Letang signed his retirement contract he must have know that it would make trading him difficult.

For that reason alone I can't put much stock in this rumour, if Letang wanted to play for Montreal before he retired, the time to do so would have been a couple years ago.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We agree that the Habs don't need Letang.
BUT as we are just having a FUN summer conversation...
(ie. don't take this too seriously)

Would anything change if Pittsburgh retained 50% of the salary?

A 3.05M/yr cap hit would be more palatable for 4 years.
Also factoring in assuming 2 years of 1st pairing role, 1 year 2nd pairing, and 1 year of 3rd pairing.

Basically pending UFA David Savard gets traded at the trade deadline (if needed), which basically means break even the next few years.

I could see the fit in terms of personnel, but I do not see an appropriate offer that Habs could make. I mean, it would require basically draft picks and prospects, which Habs would likely want to keep for their own rebuild.

I'm not sure the cap is the biggest issue (although it is one) as much as the age is. Letang has aged incredibly well considering how much he's played and the health scares he's had. But he's also going to be the 5th oldest D in the NHL next season and is under contract until 2028. I don't think you can comfortably predict a role for him at any point right now.

I think Montreal would be interested for the veteran leadership element (assuming they don't re-sign Savard) regardless and he could certainly help now, but even at 50% retention, I'm not sure Montreal would be interested in offering anything but prospects that they don't think will get a real shot due to depth or a late pick or 2. Its probably comparable to the Petry to Detroit trade for Montreal (i.e. retention and almost no return). And just from a legacy standpoint there's no reason for Pittsburgh to do that.

The Laine acquisition also means Montreal can't really take on more salary before the season because they want to put Price on in-season LTIR, not off-season LTIR and need the flexibility to do so.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
As if MTL would be taking old timers with long and big contract.
MTL should get : Letang, Huby, Kadri, Couturier because they want to come in MTL :huh:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The only thing that I'd consider Madden a reliable source of info on is the Blush lunch buffet contents and who is dancing on the 10a-2pm shift.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Having not followed this closely enough, has there been any response from Letang or Penguins management?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad