Speculation: Kris Letang requested a trade to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Makes no sense unless he wants to play for Montreal before he retires and that would happen before he becomes a UFA on the last year of his deal. Lock and close this thread
I don't mind fall 2026 when Habs want to make the playoffs and even make some noise. I want no part of him now and delay Rein and Mailioux.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
wasn't aware a player can request a trade to one team.
Many players have, they either have clauses to do it or do it strategically. Like Kessel choosing the Bruins or Penguins when the Leafs wanted to trade him knowing how to leverage his clause.

Letang wanting to go home is fine. He grew up a Habs fan and has a couple of years left in the NHL on a team far from being anything half decent thanks to Sullivan. So if he wants to go to Montreal and Montreal wants him, I have zero issues as a Pens fan seeing all parties involved making it happen.

But then again this is if that muppet Madden is even remotely right. Which we Pens fans have serious doubts about.

I don't mind fall 2026 when Habs want to make the playoffs and even make some noise. I want no part of him now and delay Rein and Mailioux.
Yeah gotta make room for an absolute shit of a human being like Mailloux.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Not defending Madden. He seems like an ogre. But how much f what Friedman says comes true? Some of the dismissiveness seems a little jingoistic.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
For anyone not familiar with Pittsburgh beat writers: they are all crocks. Seriously, we don't even have one reliable one.

And for those unfamiliar, I encourage you to look up Mark Madden. Just take a gander at the guy - he's a bit of a specimen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs say no! We already over stacked on D. Letang is 38, a declining asset with 4 years on bad contract. At 40 he'll need a chair to get around the ice. his contract will kill us when we cup contenders. We can't buy out his contract

Absolute a terrible idea! I bet Kyle Dubas put him up to this! Try stick it to Habs from his Leafs days.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Habs say no! We already over stacked on D. Letang is 38, a declining asset with 4 years on bad contract. At 40 he'll need a chair to get around the ice. his contract will kill us when we cup contenders. We can't buy out his contract

Absolute a terrible idea! I bet Kyle Dubas put him up to this! Try stick it to Habs from his Leafs days.

Declining sure but not like the exaggerrated mess that your post makes him out to be.

Not a terrible deal if you send Gallagher the other way and you trade Matheson somewhere. Specially since you get a proven winger who definitely can mentor the kids.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
If he really did (and that's a big IF, considering what you Penguins fans are saying about Mark Madden), I'm afraid he's two years too late. It's a decision he should've taken two years ago. That would probably have required him to take a shorter deal in the first place.

Reactions: gab6511 and vokiel

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Declining sure but not like the exaggerrated mess that your post makes him out to be.

Not a terrible deal if you send Gallagher the other way and you trade Matheson somewhere. Specially since you get a proven winger who definitely can mentor the kids.
No, terrible deal it's going to kill us in long term future. His contract will stop us from acquiring a real star right when we need it. Big mistake!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Probably didn't, but Montreal doesn't really want him unless the cost is low and the return for the pens is painful for them, which means it isn't happened.

Nothing against the pens, just for it to male sense 50% would need to be retained and they'd have to take on Gallagher, or something .

Pens looking at that thinking "f*** that shit" and no one can blame them.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Isn't this from the same guy who said Malkin was retiring next year?

Might be out of the loop with Malkin but he's 38 and declining. In my mind it'd be more surprising he actually finishes his contract than him retiring after next season. If he gets 40 points this year, does he really want to drag it another year in 26 probably being down on the 3rd line?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Why wouldn’t they be able to? Team doesn’t have to do it. But could easily be a request. I think McDonough did it this year
You're absolutely correct here. Trotz said that McDonagh had said if he had the opportunity to trade him back to the Bolts, he would like to go back there.

"It was a request from Ryan," Trotz said Tuesday. "We talked a little bit at the end of the year. He said if there's ever an opportunity to get back to Tampa, he asked if I would explore that a little bit. So, out of respect for the type of person that (McDonagh) is, I talked to (Tampa) and we made I think a fair deal."

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
LOL he can ask all he wants but the Habs won’t take him at his age and with his contract. There is no fit unless he retires and takes on a D coach role.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Why? The Habs want to build for the future, not win now.

Hughes has stuck firmly to his rebuilding plan, I doubt this comes to fruition.
I don't even know if a 37 yr old Letang (with 4 yrs left on his contract) helps a team win now. Unless you wanted to win in the past he is no help at this point. You can hide an older declining overpaid forward on the 4th line. There will be nowhere to hide a 41 yr old declining/declined D-man

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Might be out of the loop with Malkin but he's 38 and declining. In my mind it'd be more surprising he actually finishes his contract than him retiring after next season. If he gets 40 points this year, does he really want to drag it another year in 26 probably being down on the 3rd line?
Lol he just scored 67 points last season, which is essentially his first non-ppg season ever. Chill

Reactions: Giskard

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Letang's age is 37 fall of 2024, 38 fall of 2025, and 39 during the fall of 2026 (2026-2027 season). You absolutely should mind since it still won't be a 1 year deal.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
I'm really not a fans of Montréal Canadiens but I'm pretty sure they are not interested in Letang.
They have plenty young D in their pipeline and they have Matheson/Savard to lead the young core.
I really don't think they need Letang. Right now for Montréal it's more important to try every young D to identify the real core in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad