Proposal: Krebs for Robertson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This should be stuck to the top of every thread as the most ironic post in HF boards history.

We know what Krebs is. Robertson has been an elite scorer at every level and was that last season despite being yoyo'd out of the lineup, no PP time, low icetime, bad linemates, he was still finding ways to score.

After a season where Robertson gets consistent ice and PP time it won't really look close... There is a reason the Leafs are reluctant to toss him for a mid pick because we know we lose that trade easily

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
We know what Krebs is. Robertson has been an elite scorer at every level and was that last season despite being yoyo'd out of the lineup, no PP time, low icetime, bad linemates, he was still finding ways to score.

After a season where Robertson gets consistent ice and PP time it won't really look close... There is a reason the Leafs are reluctant to toss him for a mid pick because we know we lose that trade easily

Why hasn't Robertson cracked the full-time lineup yet?

McMann, Holmberg, Gregor, Jarnkrok and Kampf weren't exactly impassable obstacles last year.

Krebs got 'no PP time, low icetime, bad linemates' too. He was asked to change his game, play a bottom 6 role and he did; that's why he was an everyday player.

We know what Krebs is: a 2019 pick who adjusted his game in order to stick in the NHL as a 4th-liner, but has not shown any offensive upside there, despite showing it at lower levels.

But we also know what Robertson is: a 2019 pick who has not adjusted his game in order to stick in the NHL yet, despite the offensive upside he has shown at lower levels.

I see no reason why Robertson can't improve, but also no reason to assume he will. The same also applies to Krebs.

Reactions: Eegs and bert

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

McMann, Holmberg, Gregor, Jarnkrok and Kampf weren't exactly impassable obstacles last year.

I assume you don't know who McMann or Holmberg are, they are pretty good NHLers just because they are not well established doesn't diminish how good they were playing. Also Kampf is a center and one of our best defensive forwards and pkers so he was never going to compete with Robertson.

The answer is that his game is not a fit for a 4th line role, he is a scoring forward who is undersized and ok defensively but makes bad gaffs and not quick enough to recover them most of the time.

He was beaten out by Knies and McMann for top LW spots. He played a lot on the third line and with #2PP minutes which is where he got his games. His most common linemates were Holmberg and Gregor. Then once Jarnkrok came back he took his job because he is a better, more established player who also PKs for us plus we got Dewar at TDL another Pker.

Basically, we needed our PKers in the lineup and guys who could address needs in the bottom 6 and Robertson got jerked around. Now he is mad and thinks if he went to a team who play him in the top 6 he will show he can score 30+ goals and I believe that is true.

Krebs got 'no PP time, low icetime, bad linemates' too. He was asked to change his game, play a bottom 6 role and he did; that's why he was an everyday player.

We know what Krebs is: a 2019 pick who adjusted his game in order to stick in the NHL as a 4th-liner, but has not shown any offensive upside there, despite showing it at lower levels.

The difference is Robertson HAS shown he can produce in limited minutes. That is his point. He averaged under 8 minutes of ice time a game and under 25 seconds of PP time a game and scored at a 20 goal pace when he was in.

His entire argument is he is not being given the chance over a guy like Knies. What he doesn't get is Knies brings more to the game than scoring goals and we like his size in the top 6.

There is no comparable in my mind with Robertson and Krebs. One is a flawed but good player, the other is a bust.

Last edited:
  • Haha

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Once again illustrating how ironic it is that you of all people call someone else a homer.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Once again illustrating how ironic it is that you of all people call someone else a homer.

How am I a homer? Robertson doesn't want to be a Leaf and we are likely to get close to nothing if he is traded. What do I have to gain? I am saying what I see. If he gets the chance, whether in Toronto or another team to be in each night and put in roles to score, he will score. His shot is lethal.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I assume you don't know who McMann or Holmberg are, they are pretty good NHLers just because they are not well established doesn't diminish how good they were playing. Also Kampf is a center and one of our best defensive forwards and pkers so he was never going to compete with Robertson.

The answer is that his game is not a fit for a 4th line role, he is a scoring forward who is undersized and ok defensively but makes bad gaffs and not quick enough to recover them most of the time.

He was beaten out by Knies and McMann for top LW spots. He played a lot on the third line and with #2PP minutes which is where he got his games. His most common linemates were Holmberg and Gregor. Then once Jarnkrok came back he took his job because he is a better, more established player who also PKs for us.

Basically, we needed our PKers in the lineup and guys who could address needs in the bottom 6 and Robertson got jerked around. Now he is mad and thinks if he went to a team who play him in the top 6 he will show he can score 30+ goals and I believe that is true.

The difference is Robertson HAS shown he can produce in limited minutes. That is his point. He averaged under 8 minutes of ice time a game and under 25 seconds of PP time a game and scored at a 20 goal pace when he was in.

His entire argument is he is not being given the chance over a guy like Knies. What he doesn't get is Knies brings more to the game than scoring goals and we like his size in the top 6.

There is no comparable in my mind with Robertson and Krebs. One is a flawed but good player, the other is a bust.
Guys that are looking for offensive sheltered roles need to be dominate or they are a detriment to the team that has them

Only would be considered if the Sabres felt that Robertson would be better than benson or Kulich or Krebs or Mccloud or Zucker. Not sure that is the case

Since he said he wants out and your assessment of him, it is surprising that another team out of conference has not snagged him.

I think the Sabres would be looking for a two way player

How am I a homer? Robertson doesn't want to be a Leaf and we are likely to get close to nothing if he is traded. What do I have to gain? I am saying what I see. If he gets the chance, whether in Toronto or another team to be in each night and put in roles to score, he will score. His shot is lethal.

Like victor olaffson. Maybe Vegas?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I mean every single one of your posts blows up every single leaf as the greatest player best vs whoever they are compared. Then you're in every single other thread of an opposition shitting on them. You are the definition of homer. Watch you call other fans homers is hilarious.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean every single one of your posts blows up every single leaf as the greatest player best vs whoever they are compared. Then you're in every single other thread of an opposition shitting on them. You are the definition of homer. Watch you call other fans homers is hilarious.

I am in ridiculous threads like this one and the Stutzle vs Matthews ones saying they are bad yeah. In this case the players careers could not be in further spots. Robertson is pushing for a top 6 role in the NHL, Krebs is trying to keep his spot in a Sabres lineup that can't sniff the playoffs.

Another clip when he got to play with top 6 players out with Tavares

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am in ridiculous threads like this one and the Stutzle vs Matthews ones saying they are bad yeah. In this case the players careers could not be in further spots. Robertson is pushing for a top 6 role in the NHL, Krebs is trying to keep his spot in a Sabres lineup that can't sniff the playoffs.

Another clip when he got to play with top 6 players out with Tavares

Yet he has asked for a trade and no one wants to giving anything of value up for him. I guess you are right and the rest of the entire hockey world is wrong even the leafs brass who wouldnt play him in the top 6 and scratched him in the playoffs.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yet he has asked for a trade and no one wants to giving anything of value up for him. I guess you are right and the rest of the entire hockey world is wrong even the leafs brass who wouldnt play him in the top 6 and scratched him in the playoffs.

Because he is unproven not because no team wants him. Again, I already said the Leafs lose any trade with him. Why do you think he is still there? They want him to sign and show what he can do so they can at least swap prospects with another team instead of getting a 4th

• Haha
Reactions: Jacob582 and bert

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

But we also know what Robertson is: a 2019 pick who has not adjusted his game in order to stick in the NHL yet, despite the offensive upside he has shown at lower levels.

I see no reason why Robertson can't improve, but also no reason to assume he will. The same also applies to Krebs.

Because all of those guys are "complimentary", defensive or two way forwards.

There's not just a gap, but a chasm of of talent at the top of the lineup between Toronto and Buffalo. Robertson's been trying to "crack" a team that has absolutely no need for a player like him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As a Leafs fan, I'd do this deal straight up.

Krebs has seemingly found himself as a defensive-first player, but I'd bet on there being some untapped offensive potential as a theoretical 3rd line C today, and maybe #2 longer term.

Ultimately, for the Leafs to get an eventual Tavares repalcement, they're going to have to take a risk like this, and embrace that taking a young player like this, and giving him a winger like William Nylander or Mitch Marner, might be just what he needs to break out offensively.
You just said he maybe has 3C potential and then in the next paragraph suggest he is JT's replacement....seriously come on man.

Lets say Robertson tops out as a 20-30 goal player with about 40-50 points player would you trade that for a player who hasn't done much more than a 4C projection with possible upside to 3C and likely not an elite 3C like Danault. Me?, no thanks I'd rather have the pick or player with more upside (obviously).

• Haha

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

There's not just a gap, but a chasm of of talent at the top of the lineup between Toronto and Buffalo. Robertson's been trying to "crack" a team that has absolutely no need for a player like him.
Maybe the Leafs keep him then like the Sabres were forced to with VO. Or maybe the Mariner rumors have some merit and Robertson replaces him in the top 6

Maybe the Leafs keep him then like the Sabres were forced to with VO. Or maybe the Mariner rumors have some merit and Robertson replaces him in the top 6
Marner
Autocorrect got me

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

This is seriously exaggerated.

Robertson is not competing with Nylander and Marner for prime time ice. He’s competing with the likes of 9-goal scorer Max Domi and grinders like McMann, and Holmberg for a middle-six wing spot. Relying on JAGs like this behind their big guns is one reason why Toronto hasn’t taken that step.

You think Toronto wouldn’t love to have a low-cost kid putting up 40 points for them instead paying a textbook journeyman to do the same thing?

Knies pushed his way in. If Robertson was that good he could have too.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Also, you can’t have it both ways.

The Holmbergs of the world can’t be “good complementary defensive forwards” while Krebs is a “bust” for bringing the same sorts of things to the table.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
:laugh::laugh:

Good one Berty, you have not been a neutral fan for any Toronto based discussion in your entire life.
I picked them to win the division, really like the moves Treileving made finally a GM that understands how to build a team. But small one dimensional scoring wingers are the most replaceable easiest thing to acquire in hockey. Ill take the player that can actually play multiple positions in multiple roles. You can be better give it a shot.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

its so nice of you to say that robertson has potential but a guy that is a year older has maxed his potential.
who said no one wants to give up anything for him? just because he hasnt been traded doesnt mean there havent been proposals. who says toronto even wants to trade him?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sabres fans trying to say no to this is blinding homerism at it's finest
It really doesn't make sense for either team.

BUF doesn't need another small, offense-only forward.

TOR doesn't need a checker (they already have Kampf, Dewar, Holmberg, for the 4th line). They need legitimate scoring depth.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
None of what you just said makes you neutral, bud. If anything, picking Toronto to win the division is just straight up overcompensating because you have built your entire HF identity around "LOL leafs bad".
If thats what you perceive it go for it maybe I was just right about them. They finally have a GM that understands that small skill isnt something that you can have throughout a lineup if you want to have more than regular season success. A GM that is building a back end that isnt easy to play against. Maybe I am just calling it the way it actually is and you didnt want to hear it before I dunno. But I think this is the best shot they have had to make some noise in the division. I also think its the weakest the top of the division has been in some time. Their stars are finally an age where they know what it takes. Only thing I am worried about is the goaltending, its very unproven.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres fans trying to say no to this is blinding homerism at it's finest
Are we just evaluating value in a vacuum? Or could it be that Sabres fans are looking at the roster construction, center depth, and pipeline and saying that Krebs and his position and skillset are more valuable to our team at the moment? I don't even like Krebs, but I wouldn't make this trade. The Sabres system is bursting at the seams on offensive wingers. I'd rather have a lottery ticket and some center depth over Robertson.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad