Kraken 2024 draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree on Lindstrom. Someone is bound to take a chance on him, given the unicorn he is. To a lesser degree I can see the same happening with Silayev and Yakemchuk. Catton is a massive wildcard because of his similarity to Barzal. I am kind of enamored by Senneke to be honest. I would not be upset at all if we take a swing at him. For players likely to drop to us I would be happy with Buium, Senneke, Iginla.

Ideally the top-5 includes Celebrini, Demidov, Silayev, Dickinson and Lindstrom. That would leave us the choice at one of Buium, Iginla or Senneke.

My favorite prospects among those that have a chance of being there at #8 are Buium and Sennecke.

The Black Book does a really good job on this, and it's also my favorite guide. It's supposed to be out on Wednesday, exactly 48 hours before the draft.

Draft is later this month.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My favorite prospects among those that have a chance of being there at #8 are Buium and Sennecke.

Draft is later this month.
Dammit. I am stupid. I knew it was on the 28th and on a Friday. Brain must have short circuited.

I am kind of bummed that I will only be able to follow the 2nd round on Twitter or the Forums. Am traveling that day to Eastern WA in the morning.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am kind of bummed that I will only be able to follow the 2nd round on Twitter or the Forums. Am traveling that day to Eastern WA in the morning.

There was one year I watched three times as much junior hockey and ranked fifty prospects, and I watched the second day of the draft and it was still a blur of names I knew nothing about.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just some impressions from reading about combine comments from various sources and teams:

Who goes out to dinner with whom doesn't necessary mean a thing (Montreal invited Wright out last year), but it's kind of interesting anyway. Chicago took Levshonov out to dinner and showed a lot of interest in him. The fact that both Silayev and Demidov didn't attend the combine though they were in NA didn't really raise eyebrows but it didn't help their cause either.

Lindstrom participated in only some of the drills but did very well in the ones that he took part in. He expressed good vibes about his health and it now seems he is a Top Five lock if he wasn't before. Montreal took him out to dinner.

Buium and Dickinson both did very well in a lot of the drills (Dickinson's body fat is ridiculously low, tied for #1 in the combine), and attracted a much interest from teams that draft before us. Sounds like their stock is rising.

Columbus showed a lot of interest in Silayev. But if Chicago goes with Levshunov, that opens a lot of potential options.

Allegedly Parekh's workouts were not very impressive.

Emery who did exceptionally well in the tests may be among the players who most benefit from the combine.

A lot of teams showed interested in Iginla who supposedly did very well in interviews.

Catton may be a half an inch bigger and five pounds or so heavier than his listed weight and height.

Solberg became a defenseman when he was a kid after another player who was a defenseman got kicked off the team by the coach for peeing in the shower. It also looks like he has been well and truly discovered and will almost certainly go mid- to late- first round.

Current guess as to the seven players that are off the board by the time the Kraken draft:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev
Buium
Dickinson

Which would leave us, most likely, one of the following:

Parekh
Iginla
Cattone
Sennecke
Yakemchuk

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just some impressions from reading about combine comments from various sources and teams:

Who goes out to dinner with whom doesn't necessary mean a thing (Montreal invited Wright out last year), but it's kind of interesting anyway. Chicago took Levshonov out to dinner and showed a lot of interest in him. The fact that both Silayev and Demidov didn't attend the combine though they were in NA didn't really raise eyebrows but it didn't help their cause either.

Lindstrom participated in only some of the drills but did very well in the ones that he took part in. He expressed good vibes about his health and it now seems he is a Top Five lock if he wasn't before. Montreal took him out to dinner.

Buium and Dickinson both did very well in a lot of the drills (Dickinson's body fat is ridiculously low, tied for #1 in the combine), and attracted a much interest from teams that draft before us. Sounds like their stock is rising.

Columbus showed a lot of interest in Silayev. But if Chicago goes with Levshunov, that opens a lot of potential options.

Emery who did exceptionally well in the tests may be among the players who most benefit from the combine.

A lot of teams showed interested in Iginla who supposedly did very well in interviews.

Catton may be a half an inch bigger and five pounds or so heavier than his listed weight and height.

Solberg became a defenseman when he was a kid after another player who was a defenseman got kicked off the team by the coach for peeing in the shower. It also looks like he has been well and truly discovered and will almost certainly go mid- to late- first round.

Current guess as to the seven players that are off the board by the time the Kraken draft:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev
Buium
Dickinson

Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Lessecke
Yakemchuk

I know a bit more of the context on some of this stuff.

- The Russians weren't at the combine because they are not allowed to attend. Demidov and Silayev will instead meet teams before the draft at an event hosted by agent Dan Milstein. Milstein, by the way, typically gets his players out of Russia and signed by NHL teams relatively quickly. Players might get drafted higher for being Milstein clients.

- Dickinson's body fat was listed at 3.64% IIRC, which I don't think is plausible. That's a bodybuilder / influencer level of body fat, not a number you see for hockey players ever. I'm not sure that's even safe to play a high energy contact sport. Almost certainly it is a faulty number.

- There's no reason to think Catton is taller than 5'10.25. He had a generous 5'11 measure come down before the combine to 5'10, and he was measured again at 5'10 at the combine.

I agree with your list of players we can expect to be gone by pick #8. One extra wrinkle though is that Montreal is committed to taking a forward, likely either Iginla or Sennecke if Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
There was one year I watched three times as much junior hockey and ranked fifty prospects, and I watched the second day of the draft and it was still a blur of names I knew nothing about.
Have been to drafts on Edmonton in 1995 and Calgary in 2000 that was when the draft was a 1 day affair. The fans really make the drafts especially live what a blast and tonnes of knowleadable fan-a-tics

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Looks like hockeyprospect.com just posted their NHL Draft Rankings for the draft.

Looks like they are on the same page as some folks here and have ranked Levshunov low but Buium high (3 OA). I don't know if Levshunov drops as low as they say, 10 OA. Other than him though, I can see the draft going very close to this.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why is Buium low on some rankings and mocks? Not that I am complaining, I would love to get him but don't understand why.

6'0 D, wasn't very good defensively for most of the year, just tries a lot of stuff offensively that won't work at higher levels, weak shot, doesn't have explosive skating to get around pro opponents.

If the season ended four months ago I'd have to think harder about these critiques, but I think he answered them clearly with his play in the NCAA tournament. He chose his spots well offensively without relying on overly fancy dekes. And his defensive game was superlative.

Looks like hockeyprospect.com just posted their NHL Draft Rankings for the draft.

Looks like they are on the same page as some folks here and have ranked Levshunov low but Buium high (3 OA). I don't know if Levshunov drops as low as they say, 10 OA. Other than him though, I can see the draft going very close to this.

Buium at 3 and Levshunov at 10? Hmmm... is this my list? That's exactly where I have them.

I think it might be the reverse of that on draft day.

I'll have to give them a listen on Silayev at #5. As of now I feel confident in not having him that high, but they've earned my trust over the years.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev
Buium
Dickinson

Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Lessecke
Yakemchuk
Parekh or Catton would be the best of the bunch there.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I think the difference is draft rankings vs draft predictions.

some guys are lower than others, but they may just fit so well with a certain club that I think that team has to draft them, so they go higher than they should.

If Chicago goes D, I think Levshunov is off the board at 2. If they go forward, Anaheim could take him, but they may opt for the Calli kid Buium, Then I think he would drop to Utah.

Utah may have Levshunov as the top D available, but the margin is small, and they have Moser and Simishev on the left side, and Armstrong loves size, so they ultimately take Silayev.

Ottawa may believe the best D available would be Levshunov, then Dickenson and then Parekh, but they know they have Sanderson and Chabot on the left side locked up long term, and the skillset of the right handed Parekh feels like a natural fit, so they go that route.

Everyone knows Francis won't draft Russians, and Levshunov sounds kinda Russian to Ron, so now he's fallen at least to 9 and Calgary :sarcasm:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

some guys are lower than others, but they may just fit so well with a certain club that I think that team has to draft them, so they go higher than they should.

If Chicago goes D, I think Levshunov is off the board at 2. If they go forward, Anaheim could take him, but they may opt for the Calli kid Buium, Then I think he would drop to Utah.

Utah may have Levshunov as the top D available, but the margin is small, and they have Moser and Simishev on the left side, and Armstrong loves size, so they ultimately take Silayev.

Ottawa may believe the best D available would be Levshunov, then Dickenson and then Parekh, but they know they have Sanderson and Chabot on the left side locked up long term, and the skillset of the right handed Parekh feels like a natural fit, so they go that route.

Everyone knows Francis won't draft Russians, and Levshunov sounds kinda Russian to Ron, so now he's fallen at least to 9 and Calgary :sarcasm:
LOL.

And we all lived happily ever after ... :D

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think the biggest reason why there's no clear cut order after #1 is that it's a lot of the same(talent wise) and it's just about preference of the individual tams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the biggest reason why there's no clear cut order after #1 is that it's a lot of the same(talent wise) and it's just about preference of the individual tams.

There really isn't agreement on talent of a lot of these players.

Reading through Pronman's scout quotes today, there's a lot of variance. Silayev for example is in some scouts eyes a potential star who would be up there with Celebrini, others don't see any potential stardom from him.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
There really isn't agreement on talent of a lot of these players.

Reading through Pronman's scout quotes today, there's a lot of variance. Silayev for example is in some scouts eyes a potential star who would be up there with Celebrini, others don't see any potential stardom from him.
I think it is because big 17 year old D are much tougher to predict their ceilings than forwards. A lot has to go right for a large defenseman to become a superstar, where as smaller forwards are already typically further along in their development curve, so predictions tend to be somewhat more accurate and scouts and pundits are more willing to stake their reputation on predicting the more "sure thing".

Off topic, what is the word on the Jackets board? What direction do you and most fans see them going? I feel like Demidov or Lindstrom are their sure-fire picks, (depending on what Chicago does), but I keep seeing mocks with them selecting one of the D.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think it is because big 17 year old D are much tougher to predict their ceilings than forwards. A lot has to go right for a large defenseman to become a superstar, where as smaller forwards are already typically further along in their development curve, so predictions tend to be somewhat more accurate and scouts and pundits are more willing to stake their reputation on predicting the more "sure thing".

Off topic, what is the word on the Jackets board? What direction do you and most fans see them going? I feel like Demidov or Lindstrom are their sure-fire picks, (depending on what Chicago does), but I keep seeing mocks with them selecting one of the D.
I have seen Silayev mocked to the Blue Jackets in some drafts. While reading the Black Book, and I am paraphrasing here, a lot of scouts said "Silayev is built for playoff hockey. Even if he does NOT develop much offense, he is going to be a force in the playoffs". And I actually tend to agree. Silayev's floor is likely a #4D who is built for the playoffs.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I have seen Silayev mocked to the Blue Jackets in some drafts. While reading the Black Book, and I am paraphrasing here, a lot of scouts said "Silayev is built for playoff hockey. Even if he does NOT develop much offense, he is going to be a force in the playoffs". And I actually tend to agree. Silayev's floor is likely a #4D who is built for the playoffs.
I get the attraction, his size and skating and resume at 17 in the KHL make a statement, but I do not really get the fit with the Jackets.

If they draft Silayev, is that a sign that the relationship with Jiricek is likely too damaged and does he then become a trade chip? Cause they still have Ceulemans, Jiricek, and Boqvist on the right and a much bigger need for a high end forward, or are they confident in one of Sillinger, Del Bel Belluz, Johnson or Brindley being the top 6 center solution? If Jiricek is still in the equation, Lindstrom feel like a better long-term gamble to me, and then there is Demidov, who feels like the BPA route that they shouldn't pass up. (if he drops).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You should read the Pronman article. There's a big range of scout opinion on the forwards as well.

But I agree in general that D are harder to predict.

Folks on the Jackets board have really warmed up to Lindstrom, and they're starting to with Sennecke. Everyone's always liked Demidov. The only D who gets a lot of love is Buium, most aren't as interested in Lev or Silayev. That might be partly because those are my tendencies, I'm the most prolific poster on the draft.

We really don't have any inside info or guesses as to where the team is going. Just generally that power forwards like Lindstrom are an evergreen need. Every team wants that. The Jackets took him and Sennecke out to dinner last week.

Sennecke now measures at 6'3, FWIW.

If they draft Silayev, is that a sign that the relationship with Jiricek is likely too damaged and does he then become a trade chip? Cause they still have Ceulemans, Jiricek, and Boqvist on the right and a much bigger need for a high end forward, or are they confident in one of Sillinger, Del Bel Belluz, Johnson or Brindley being the top 6 center solution? If Jiricek is still in the equation, Lindstrom feel like a better long-term gamble to me, and then there is Demidov, who feels like the BPA route that they shouldn't pass up. (if he drops).

Silayev is a left shot and the issue for the Jackets there is actually that Werenski and Mateychuk profile as big minute guys on the left side.* Jiricek is on the right and people have already written off Ceulemans and Boqvist isn't seen as a long term fit. Some folks have mentioned that they see a Silayev-Jiricek pairing as ideal, since Jiricek is looking all-offense and will need someone very mobile to cover him.

*Some folks, and you'll see this mentioned a lot on the Anaheim board, are encouraged that Silayev plays the right side in Russia. But I'm personally not a believer in that, not until a guy has shown that he's comfortable on his off side in the NHL.

You're right, I think the issue is that his ceiling is not much higher than his floor!

Reactions: Irie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The probability of what you say is high but at the end of the day he is just an 18-year-old still adjusting to his body. Has he really hit the peak of his development curve?

It's not about physical development. There are dozens of D in the NHL that have the strength and skating to make plays offensively, but they are strictly defensive players because they don't think the offensive game at that level. And that's what Silayev looks like. I watched his MHL playoff run at the end of the year, that's Russian jrs, and he showed absolutely no inclination to try anything offensively.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's not about physical development. There are dozens of D in the NHL that have the strength and skating to make plays offensively, but they are strictly defensive players because they don't think the offensive game at that level. And that's what Silayev looks like. I watched his MHL playoff run at the end of the year, that's Russian jrs, and he showed absolutely no inclination to try anything offensively.
Never watched a single game of his so I cannot argue against that but could it be him playing in a mens league has something to do with him playing it safe and not taking chances at all? I think if he can somehow turn into a 25-30 point D-man, he could be invaluable to whatever team he goes to.

I don't see Francis going for a Russian anyway, so doubt he is a Kraken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad