OT: Kovalchuk retires from the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Also:

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 1m
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I really don't understand these kind of posts or the ones saying the Kings "dodged a bullet". As far as I can tell, the guy walked away from a massive amount of $$$, the exact opposite of what a selfish person would do. In addition, if his injuries are indeed chronic, he did the Devils a MASSIVE favor. I don't get the hate at all. He was a fantastic player and I for one will miss seeing him in the NHL.

And what if he signs with the KHL? You can bet your ass he's playing in the Olympics.

It doesn't look good whatsoever for Kovalchuk. He didn't even want to come back when the lock out ended. It all looks for very fishy right now.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 6m
Source close to Kovalchuk said he saw it coming. Most likely Kovalchuk will play for SKA. I am told major announcement will come very soon.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I really don't understand these kind of posts or the ones saying the Kings "dodged a bullet". As far as I can tell, the guy walked away from a massive amount of $$$, the exact opposite of what a selfish person would do. In addition, if his injuries are indeed chronic, he did the Devils a MASSIVE favor. I don't get the hate at all. He was a fantastic player and I for one will miss seeing him in the NHL.

I guarantee you that he is going to get paid quite handsomely in the KHL and will likely earn even more, especially considering taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou had a hand in pushing him out the door, his contract was designed for early retirement and the Devils would have incurred a lot of penalties in a few years against the cap, retiring now causes the minimum amount of damage, so I am sure Lou had a hand in helping him choose now as the time to retire.

The Kings definitely dodged a bullet though, who knows what would have happened if the Devils didn't offer that contract. Leiweke was set to pay him handsomely. Even with a reasonable deal by Dean's standards, Kovalchuck was going to be paid something on the order of $70+ million in LA. Even if we weren't an appealing choice for him, if the Devils walk away, this could have very well been us today.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Sucks for that organization, especially considering Ilya had some great chemistry with Loktionov. That was going to be an exciting line for next year. Now what the **** are they supposed to do? Sign Brunner, Penner, Grabovski, Holloway, Vanek?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I for one am loling heartily.

Devils fans were beyond obnoxious during the whole Kovalchuk saga in 2010. Guy strung us along and later chirped the city when he didn't sign here. Good riddance.

Yeah, what a saint for leaving 70 million on the table when he's going to make 100+ playing out his career in Russia.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
SKA has no upper limit budget. That team might honestly be spending more on players than ANY team in NHL, no lie. If he can make 10+ million over there and be happier all the better for him. Sucks for NJD fans, but honestly the guy has to make the best decision for him and his life. I do not blame him even slightly for that.

The interesting thing is if the NHL will protest this with regards to the MOU. I imagine that the KHL will tear up that MOU for a Kovalchuk, but how will this play out.

This is a close to home issue for the Kings though, since if NHL protests, KHL rips up the MOU, that would leave Prokhorkin free to sign with Kings and come over (as is his goal obviously after he signed for MUCH less money to head to Manchester last year). Maybe we see Prokhorkin in Manchester and maybe even some time in LA next season.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 10s
If Radulov is making around $7m per year with 13% flat tax rate, Kovalchuk will get way more (over 10). I was told he liked it there.

Cash Rules Everything Around Ilya

CREAM

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 3m
And people wonder why Dean Lombardi places such high value on character. #Kovy

well said by Hoven

Except Lombardi did offer him a long contract...it just wasn't as over the top as New Jersey's.

We weren't saved by valuing character. We were saved by Lombardi keeping the big salary picture in mind.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Talk about getting kicked in the balls. They lost Parise last summer, and now Kovalchuk (and Clarkson as well). And on top of all that, they will also be forfeiting their 1st round pick in 2014 which is set to be a very high draft pick.

Ya think they regret not opting to forfeit their pick in 2012? What a huge mistake that was.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The real funny thing about this? The Devils still lose next year's 1st round pick. Losing Kovy inches that closer to the 1st overall.

ouch. :nod:

And the NHL had better not cave and reduce the punishment.

Not that I think they will, but several NJD fans have been hoping that the "punishment" to be lessened (is that a word?) or cancelled entirely.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
JR calling Kovalchuk selfish. You hypocritical ****. Shut up moron.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I for one am loling heartily.

Devils fans were beyond obnoxious during the whole Kovalchuk saga in 2010. Guy strung us along and later chirped the city when he didn't sign here. Good riddance.

Yeah, what a saint for leaving 70 million on the table when he's going to make 100+ playing out his career in Russia.

Don't forget how obnoxious most were after we won our Cup.

ShattStar03

Jul 21, 2008
Claremont, CA
Last summer, I heard rumors that Kovy wanted to stay in Russia after the lockout. I just dismissed it as bs

But wow I never thought he'd do this.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'll reserve the character debate until Kovy's official announcement, but barring some significant life event (serious injury, family problem, or health crisis) Kovy is going to take a lot of heat for this. He won't care in Russia making $15 million, but this will echo in the NHL for a bit. The Russian factor just took on a whole new meaning. Kovy will now be the archetype used. Hopefully that means more Voynovs and Zykovs for us :P

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 14m
Lamoriello said Kovalchuk brought up idea of wanting to stay in Russia after lockout. Never mentioned it again until recently.

Deleted member 93010

Ya think they regret not opting to forfeit their pick in 2012? What a huge mistake that was.

I like how EVERYONE knew this wasa bad move at the time. Watching Devils fans try and defend it was hilarious.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's a lot easier to say that now.

Not really. They had the second to last pick in the draft that year. How likely was it for them to get to the Finals or win the Cup after that, especially with the possibility of losing Zach Parise (which did happen). No hindsight necessary here. They goofed up by not forfeiting their 2012 pick.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Last summer, I heard rumors that Kovy wanted to stay in Russia after the lockout. I just dismissed it as bs

But wow I never thought he'd do this.

Oh yeah, like I said.. he didn't even want to come back when the lock out ended. I'm assuming he was just going to finish this year and then bolt because Kovalchuk has been "thinking" about it for awhile now.

He gutted the Devils franchise. No way you can respect a player who does that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad