OT: Kovalchuk retires from the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mittens*

nelson-muntz.gif

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Shocked.

I've no idea what happens to the cap. I think because he isn't 35+ it just magically goes away?

People are running around screaming KHL but no way in the world they can offer him 11m a year. I think the back/hip injury we've heard about him is making him evaluate the damage he'd sustain trying to pretend to play out the contract in comparison to the tens of millions he's already made.

Actually if the contract just ends he's done the Devils a favor. He could have just been injured the next few years and pull in 11m a year... lots of other players are doing that as we speak.....

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
It's one thing if he retires from hockey. But, it's completely different if he just retires from the NHL and then he just signs in Russia (if that's even possible) That would just be awful. But, we just have to wait and see what happens.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Shocked.

I've no idea what happens to the cap. I think because he isn't 35+ it just magically goes away?

People are running around screaming KHL but no way in the world they can offer him 11m a year. I think the back/hip injury we've heard about him is making him evaluate the damage he'd sustain trying to pretend to play out the contract in comparison to the tens of millions he's already made.

Actually if the contract just ends he's done the Devils a favor. He could have just been injured the next few years and pull in 11m a year... lots of other players are doing that as we speak.....

Yes and no, instead of losing a pick between 10 and 20 next year, they now lose a likely top 5 pick barring a major trade (for which, I don't know that they have the assets), is that worth not paying $11M in salary? That's a matter of opinion.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 3m
And people wonder why Dean Lombardi places such high value on character. #Kovy

well said by Hoven

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Yes and no, instead of losing a pick between 10 and 20 next year, they now lose a likely top 5 pick barring a major trade (for which, I don't know that they have the assets), is that worth not paying $11M in salary? That's a matter of opinion.

The lost the pick because they broke the rules. That's on the Devils.

The main board is, like normal, exploding. I don't get all the hate though. Guy's walking away from 50+ Million dollars to do something else with his life. More power to him. We only get one life and why do something that you don't want to do?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Dean definitely deserves a pat on the back. Anyone that sees him at TSC, give that man a handshake. Let's Kovy go, wins Stanley Cup (against Kovy no less), and watches the Devils give up assets and money galore to watch him walk to Russia at age 30. Mind blowing.

The Devils made a deal with the devil and lost.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
To be fair if he'd stayed on the Devils for the next 4 years hit 35 then retired I think according to the new CBA it would be the apocalypses for the Devils with all the penalties. Retiring now is the best for the cap... I think...

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Dean got lucky. Really lucky. He would be the first person to say that. And I am sososo glad he did. Maybe things would have been different if he was here, but all in all.. phew.

This news hit the Devils franchise pretty ****ing hard and it's going to keep hitting for awhile. Just awful.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
The lost the pick because they broke the rules. That's on the Devils.

The main board is, like normal, exploding. I don't get all the hate though. Guy's walking away from 50+ Million dollars to do something else with his life. More power to him. We only get one life and why do something that you don't want to do?

Try telling that to his teammates, management, and all the fans that he comitted to.

A contract is a contract. Either you have honor and keep your promises or you dont.

Kovy never had any intentions of signing in LA, it was all a big gimmick to get the leverage he needed against Lou.

I dont hate too many hockey players but screw that guy.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
lombardis moves over the last 5 years are really becoming magnified. unreal.

i always knew kovy was a scum bag

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 3m
And people wonder why Dean Lombardi places such high value on character. #Kovy

well said by Hoven

I really don't understand these kind of posts or the ones saying the Kings "dodged a bullet". As far as I can tell, the guy walked away from a massive amount of $$$, the exact opposite of what a selfish person would do. In addition, if his injuries are indeed chronic, he did the Devils a MASSIVE favor. I don't get the hate at all. He was a fantastic player and I for one will miss seeing him in the NHL.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The real funny thing about this? The Devils still lose next year's 1st round pick. Losing Kovy inches that closer to the 1st overall.

Exactly what I said somewhere earlier. They end up not forfeiting the 29th pick, use it on a ****ing HEADCASE, do absolutely terrible this year, take a huge step in getting Schneider, and then right as things are looking up, Kovy ****ed them over. If they lost the first overall pick, I'd be calling for Lou's head.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Try telling that to his teammates, management, and all the fans that he comitted to.

That's the funny thing about professional sports. Everyday it's a business but then when it comes to players contracts then it's all about team...

A contract is a contract. Either you have honor and keep your promisesor you dont.

That's not how contracts work. In la la land that doesn't exist that's how they work. In reality they're constantly broken by banks, governments, everyone. At best they're just an excuse to sue people. Better read the fine print...

Regardless in this case it's not a broken contract. He has a clear, legal, right to retire. It's in the CBA. He doesn't want to play in the NHL and he doesn't get paid. Simple and perfectly moral. It would be immoral to be paid and not to play...

Which is what most players do in this situation. Simply be to injured to play and take the check for a couple of years.

Kovy never had any intentions of signing in LA, it was all a big gimmick to get the leverage he needed against Lou.

So? He took the biggest check.... I'd do it if I had the option. Hell, everyone in reality would as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad