Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I still think it is underwhelming for MTL because it is a great trade for NJ, they get a player that is in his prime ready to play and all they have they give a pick that as less of 25% of even playing a 100 games in the NHL.
Any examples come to mind of a recent depth dman playing less than 17min/night (on a bottom 5 roster no less) traded for anything more than a late pick?

Also there are probably 5-6 team where he would ahve been even more valuble not sure way not one was able to beat a 4th.
So you think KH just decided to take a lesser offer for the fun of it?

That seems like dubious reasoning.

I think there would have be a way to wait it out and not lose anyone to waivers but that might be a uncomfortable situation for 5-6 guys and ultimately you are better to fix the issue then to let it drag on and affecting morale.
I think that's what it came down to.

Barring a trade, Kovacevic was sitting so far down on the depth chart that keeping him & his NHL contract in place vs getting an asset for him led to a pretty obvious conclusion.

Easy enough to sign a depth dman in August for <1M should we want to replace him, net difference is we'd be + a 4th Rd pick.

Solid asset management.

Apr 28, 2010
I think they plan on signing somebody tomorrow. Would make sense why they made the move now. I doubt Mailloux makes the team right off the rip next season.
I think Mailloux will have a great preseason. It seems like one (or two) prospect makes the team every year and I think it'll be him next season.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Any examples come to mind of a recent depth dman playing less than 17min/night (on a bottom 5 roster no less) traded for anything more than a late pick?

So you think KH just decided to take a lesser offer for the fun of it?

That seems like dubious reasoning.

I think that's what it came down to.

Barring a trade, Kovacevic was sitting so far down on the depth chart that keeping him & his NHL contract in place vs getting an asset for him led to a pretty obvious conclusion.

Easy enough to sign a depth dman in August for <1M should we want to replace him, net difference is we'd be + a 4th Rd pick.

Solid asset management.
A lot of those guy depth guy usually have issues... pass their prime/contract/injuries... on the top of my head Edmundson was traded for a 3rd/5th, Kulak was traded for a 2nd+, Braun 3rd, Davidson got a 3rd... their might be others better or worst but not sure all depth guy are the same... Kovacevic is a NHL D entering is prime, no size or skating or skill or contract issues he doesn't have much negative or red flags other that he isn't a top 4 so to me he should have been worth a 3rd, ultimately a 3rd or a 4th isn't much difference but if it isn't a difference for us why would be a difference for the other team...

It isn't a bad trade but I would not say solid asset management because if your going to trade him they would have gotten better return at the last trade deadline where a bunch of team were laking D or looking for depth and had no cap space...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So you guys are saying he sucks, but deserved a 3rd round pick for him? Just a note that Jesper Bratt was picked in the 6th round...

I think the pick was about right. Kovacevic is okay. I assume the Devils are looking for a filler on the 3rd pair. He can give you that, and I think Devils fans will generally be fine with him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad