Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

Jul 6, 2016
I am a fan of Kovacevic's game, and there is some risk of him blossoming into a better than a 4th defenseman. That said, I think KH had to make some tough choices on the back end in the off-season. Trading Kovacevic and Harris was the decision he made. Maybe it'll end up being an imperfect choice, but I think the worst thing he could have done was not make any choice and bring all those D-Men to training camp.

Also Kovacevic will be UFA after this season so if he's a top-4 defenseman, he will likely be paid like one soon.
Barron should had been the one traded, not Kovy.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Barron should had been the one traded, not Kovy.

I agree, Kovy was way more reliable. Just look at his plus/minus vs Barron. He has size and despite being older, he could of been a good veteran with Savard for the young ones. I find that he rarely made mistakes. No big flashes but good all around.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Barron is very frustrating to watch because the mental side of his game isn't very strong but his upside is a Petry-light. even Petry was just entering the league as a rookie at the same age as Barron is now and didn't break out for another 4-5 years. Kovacevic is the same age Petry was when he broke out so he can be considered a finished product - of course he's more reliable.

the Habs aren't trying to contend this year and can afford to roll the dice. sure a nice boring presence like Kovacevic would be nice but why not gamble with Barron and see what you get. i doubt he's in their long term plans. either he figures it out and can be traded as part of a bigger package for a more established RHD to stabilize the core, or he plateaus as what he is right now and can still be moved with some ok value.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Barron is very frustrating to watch because the mental side of his game isn't very strong but his upside is a Petry-light. even Petry was just entering the league as a rookie at the same age as Barron is now and didn't break out for another 4-5 years. Kovacevic is the same age Petry was when he broke out so he can be considered a finished product - of course he's more reliable.

the Habs aren't trying to contend this year and can afford to roll the dice. sure a nice boring presence like Kovacevic would be nice but why not gamble with Barron and see what you get. i doubt he's in their long term plans. either he figures it out and can be traded as part of a bigger package for a more established RHD to stabilize the core, or he plateaus as what he is right now and can still be moved with some ok value.

I don't disagree with that and yes he still very young and he might pan out but I think he would of fetch more then Kovy trade wise and having Mailloux and Reinbacker as promising incoming short term RD's, I feel like Kovy could of fill that gap while both of them become regular with the big club.

Only future will tell and I hope Barron flourishes but as of now, Y me fait sacrer le tabarouette!! :D

Reactions: Shutdown

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't disagree with that and yes he still very young and he might pan out but I think he would of fetch more then Kovy trade wise and having Mailloux and Reinbacker as promising incoming short term RD's, I feel like Kovy could of fill that gap while both of them become regular with the big club.

Only future will tell and I hope Barron flourishes but as of now, Y me fait sacrer le tabarouette!! :D
Agreed.
I think we have to figure Barron might be a top-4, offensive D, a perfect 2nd pairing offensive D behind Hutson.

Kovasevic, however, is never going to be more than a complementary 3d pairing D, who are essentially dime a dozen in this league.

Barron might also flame out, but I think the % of odds Barron reaches his potential is high enough to justify keeping him over a sure-thing player who's worth no more than a 4th rounder, anyways.

Reactions: LaP

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I agree, Kovy was way more reliable. Just look at his plus/minus vs Barron. He has size and despite being older, he could of been a good veteran with Savard for the young ones. I find that he rarely made mistakes. No big flashes but good all around.
Kovacevic has played 147 NHL games. He's not a veteran and doesn't have much to teach. His name doesn't belong in the same sentence as David Savard.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Which young ones? If you have Matheson, Savard and Kova in the lineup then you don't have much young ones. Guhle is not a young one anymore. I'm honestly baffled that this thread is still going. It's incredible. Kova is a nothing burger player. The type of player you can sign every summer on the UFA market. He's not moving any needle and he's not really an experienced player yet is not young anymore. Barron is 22. They are giving him a chance just in case and in our current situation this is the thing to do. Barron will be replaced next season anyway. He'll probably be traded like Harris next summer since we'll need a spot for Mailloux.

2025-26 :

Hutson - Guhle
Matheson - Struble/Xhekaj
Struble/Xhekaj - Mailloux
Rainbacher will slot in during the season probably if he's doing well in the AHL.

Eventually in the 2026-27 season at the latest the defense should be :

Hutson-Guhle
Matheson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Struble

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad