Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I still think it is underwhelming for MTL because it is a great trade for NJ, they get a player that is in his prime ready to play and all they have they give a pick that as less of 25% of even playing a 100 games in the NHL.
Any examples come to mind of a recent depth dman playing less than 17min/night (on a bottom 5 roster no less) traded for anything more than a late pick?

Also there are probably 5-6 team where he would ahve been even more valuble not sure way not one was able to beat a 4th.
So you think KH just decided to take a lesser offer for the fun of it?

That seems like dubious reasoning.

I think there would have be a way to wait it out and not lose anyone to waivers but that might be a uncomfortable situation for 5-6 guys and ultimately you are better to fix the issue then to let it drag on and affecting morale.
I think that's what it came down to.

Barring a trade, Kovacevic was sitting so far down on the depth chart that keeping him & his NHL contract in place vs getting an asset for him led to a pretty obvious conclusion.

Easy enough to sign a depth dman in August for <1M should we want to replace him, net difference is we'd be + a 4th Rd pick.

Solid asset management.

Apr 28, 2010
I think they plan on signing somebody tomorrow. Would make sense why they made the move now. I doubt Mailloux makes the team right off the rip next season.
I think Mailloux will have a great preseason. It seems like one (or two) prospect makes the team every year and I think it'll be him next season.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Any examples come to mind of a recent depth dman playing less than 17min/night (on a bottom 5 roster no less) traded for anything more than a late pick?

So you think KH just decided to take a lesser offer for the fun of it?

That seems like dubious reasoning.

I think that's what it came down to.

Barring a trade, Kovacevic was sitting so far down on the depth chart that keeping him & his NHL contract in place vs getting an asset for him led to a pretty obvious conclusion.

Easy enough to sign a depth dman in August for <1M should we want to replace him, net difference is we'd be + a 4th Rd pick.

Solid asset management.
A lot of those guy depth guy usually have issues... pass their prime/contract/injuries... on the top of my head Edmundson was traded for a 3rd/5th, Kulak was traded for a 2nd+, Braun 3rd, Davidson got a 3rd... their might be others better or worst but not sure all depth guy are the same... Kovacevic is a NHL D entering is prime, no size or skating or skill or contract issues he doesn't have much negative or red flags other that he isn't a top 4 so to me he should have been worth a 3rd, ultimately a 3rd or a 4th isn't much difference but if it isn't a difference for us why would be a difference for the other team...

It isn't a bad trade but I would not say solid asset management because if your going to trade him they would have gotten better return at the last trade deadline where a bunch of team were laking D or looking for depth and had no cap space...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So you guys are saying he sucks, but deserved a 3rd round pick for him? Just a note that Jesper Bratt was picked in the 6th round...

I think the pick was about right. Kovacevic is okay. I assume the Devils are looking for a filler on the 3rd pair. He can give you that, and I think Devils fans will generally be fine with him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
lol they had to remove the log-jam. Unless you guys want Struble, who has earned NHL time, going to Laval.. or Arber going there and losing our toughness, or just flat out waiving Barron.. this trade had to happen.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Kova is good bottom pairing dman , in a world where the team is good and trying to compete maybe then you keep a guy like that. In a world where you have 5 different guys who need reps to see where they are at or what they will be it made sense to move on from kovy.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You gotta give time and let players play to grow. Revisit this in a year and see if you feel the same
He only had a year left on is deal it not like he would have been less valuable at the TDL… Barron, Mailloux and Reinbacher hadn’t shown anything, worst case we send someone to the AHL waiting for a deal… a 4th wasn’t enough to pull the trigger that fast…

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
He only had a year left on is deal it not like he would have been less valuable at the TDL… Barron, Mailloux and Reinbacher hadn’t shown anything, worst case we send someone to the AHL waiting for a deal… a 4th wasn’t enough to pull the trigger that fast…
I get it, but they needed the space to let players grow. Your not about to send Arber or Struble back to the AHL

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

They aren't waiving Justin Barron.. had to trade Jordan Harris.. and that still means one of Barron/Xhekaj/Struble is sitting every game we play.

In no world did it make sense to keep Kovacevic.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They aren't waiving Justin Barron.. had to trade Jordan Harris.. and that still means one of Barron/Xhekaj/Struble is sitting every game we play.

In no world did it make sense to keep Kovacevic.
We can always sign him as a UFA next summer 🤣

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
lol they had to remove the log-jam. Unless you guys want Struble, who has earned NHL time, going to Laval.. or Arber going there and losing our toughness, or just flat out waiving Barron.. this trade had to happen.
If struble or Mailloux had to go on waiver yes but clearly we could have juggle a bit and waitted… For me 4th wasn’t enough to pull the trigger early.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If struble or Mailloux had to go on waiver yes but clearly we could have juggle a bit and waitted… For me 4th wasn’t enough to pull the trigger early.
At one point our young players have to get experience. There will always be a Honda Civic. Been there done that. We are at a point where we need to know what we have before the next wave is ready.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Stupid trade
I said it during camp that maybe they didn't know at the time that they'd be trading Harris for Laine (and they obviously didn't know Reinbacher would blow his knee out in preseason), but I would have kept Kovacevic for the return they got.

He was nothing special, but he provided dependable depth.

He had to go. Habs will have 7 or 8 d better than him soon. Harris was better than Kovacevic and there was no room for him.
He didn't HAVE to go...it's not a big deal, but I always found trading Kovacevic kind of jumping the gun when they didn't need too.

• Love
Reactions: Natey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He had to go.
Love you both. But are we so low on content on this forum that we have to complain about trading Jonathan Motherf****ng Kovacevic?
Not sure why this was bumped, but he's not wrong. A 4th rounder? Why? Might as well keep him and have a rotation. Teams with injuries would've likely paid a lot more than a 4th for Kova.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Love you both. But are we so low on content on this forum that we have to complain about trading Jonathan Motherf****ng Kovacevic?
You mean the dude logging over 20 minutes a night for a better team, with more points then anyone on our roster, who was one of the only 'plus' players here the last couple of years while we have people like Justin Barron dressing for games?

Yeah.

There's a reason teams like Toronto don't win cups. The supporting cast is trash. Kovacevic was the perfect example of a moderately paid but solid piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad