News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sorry to pile on but... P.A. Parenteau?

Really?

I'm not one of these people that think Letang would bring back the moon and the stars in a trade.

But really?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Another thing to point out: Niskanen is playing ridiculous hockey right now, AND he's much better on the power play than Letang.

Yet another reason I'd send Letang packing, and re-sign Niskanen at a much cheaper price.

Niskanen, plus Letang's return is much more valuable to this team than just Letang.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
letang is not going anywhere, not while Shero is GM. Shero wouldn't trade Jordan if it was up to him...so this whole hoopla is just empty talk....

I usually agree with the posters that are greatest Letang trade supporters, but not this time, I wouldn't trade him, but I wish I'd see him being used in a smart way, pairing him up with a complementary d-man and getting him off of the first unit pp...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
letang is not going anywhere, not while Shero is GM. Shero wouldn't trade Jordan if it was up to him...so this whole hoopla is just empty talk....

I usually agree with the posters that are greatest Letang trade supporters, but not this time, I wouldn't trade him, but I wish I'd see him being used in a smart way, pairing him up with a complementary d-man and getting him off of the first unit pp...

Heh. Doesn't it always seem to come back to this?

The solution to all of our problems.

Fire this guy.

dan-bylsma.jpg%3Fw%3D610%26h%3D291

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals)

And we will see you in the Cup Finals.

But really, meets both teams needs in a lot of ways.

Avs need a major upgrade to the D core, and Letang fits most of those needs in a big way. Avs probably look to add an additional D man via another trade to play with EJ or Letang, Hejda will play with one of them. Adams fills a need for a veteran depth forward with a winning pedigree.

PA Parenteau would be amazing with either Crosby or Malkin. Wilson provides filler depth on the blueline in the now with Barrie coming in as part of the future. All three guys fit into the Pens cap situation very well, as the three combined make less than Letang. Pick varies depending on end result this season for the Avs. Pens either sit tight with that D core this season and hope Wilson can stay healthy enough or Barrie picks up his game enough to work now OR trade Wilson plus whatever they were going to use to bring in a winger to get a D upgrade.

ummmm

you-serious-clark-o.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We have too many posters who want Shero to do the things CP would have done with this team, and it seems to lead to a lot of fans being angry with Shero.

I touched on this before, but Shero isn't a risk taker. I also talked before about how much of a risk taker CP was and someone brought up a good point about the cap and how it effects trading today.

However, I think CP would of sculpted this team in an entirely different manner. I have no idea how this roster would look if CP remained the GM, but despite the cap, I know he would of taken risks and traded high profile guys.

If CP was suddenly inserted in place of Shero right now, I would expect Letang to be moved within a year to fill other holes. That's the way CP was.

Shero isn't like that.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but I think we just need to all accept that Shero is very risk adverse. I'm not even sure he will let Orpik walk, let alone trade him, let alone trade Letang.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Eberle and a 2nd for Letang
O'Reilly and a 1st for Letang and a 3rd

Only 2 I can think of.

I really think the Pens and Avs are a great trading partner and I do think Patrick loves Letang and he knows him well from the Q days. I think something will happen after the Olympic break since ROR can't be traded before February 28th anyways

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
If we're talking Letang to Avs, why is everyone so quick to jump on ROR's sack? If we're trading a 26 yr old former Norris candidate who's locked up for the next 8 years, I sure as hell hope it's Landeskog's name is at the top of the list.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I will admit, I don't follow any players in the juniors, but I thought everyone defended drafting DP was so that he could replace Letang?

I take it he's still 2 years away. Our offensive depth is bleak here and in the minors. I would love an infusion of real players for Sid and Geno to play with.

I am a huge Letang fan, but he's been tough to watch an he's incredibly injury prone.

If you could trade him for a legit top 6 forward, an elite prospects and a first rounder, I think you make that trade.

We have Engelland, Orpik, Maattaa, Scuderi, Martin, Bortuzzo, Despres and Niskanen to play now. Plus Harrington, Domoulin, and Pouliot.

That's 8 nhl ready dmen and 3 who should be ready soon

Now compare that to the steaming piles of **** we have playing forward.

But knowing Shero, he will extend Orpik, keep Letang and go dumpster diving again to find forwards next offseason. And don't forget, Dupuis will be back!

We drafted DP to "hedge" against the loss of Letang, and the Pens obviously liked Pouliot in general. But there was no hard evidence that Letang definitely wouldn't re-sign, so they obviously would have taken him anyway. There is room, down the line when DP is ready, for both of them on this team.

Letang
Despres
Sutter

Kane
Trouba

Then find a 3C at the deadline

WPG wouldn't trade Trouba straight up for Letang, so forget that. But Letang for Kane could work, and he would be one of the only players I would consider trading Letang for. Also, trading Letang would HAVE TO mean that we re-sign Niskanen, so if we were really considering trading Kris, we may want to re-sign Nisky first.

Another thing to point out: Niskanen is playing ridiculous hockey right now, AND he's much better on the power play than Letang.

Yet another reason I'd send Letang packing, and re-sign Niskanen at a much cheaper price.

Niskanen, plus Letang's return is much more valuable to this team than just Letang.

1) We would have to re-sign Nisky first. It puts us in a bad negotiating position if we trade Letang first and then go all ga-ga over Nisky, because he & his agent will know we need him and that they have us over a barrel.

2) I love Nisky, I advocate re-signing him, and all that jazz. BUT, Letang is a proven playoff warrior, whereas Niksy HAS wilted in the playoffs. Now, I did just say a few days ago that I think Nisky deserves one more year to show he can play well (or better yet raise his play) in the playoffs, but Letang absolutely does raise his play in the playoffs. There is risk here, is all I'm saying.

Thus far in the regular season, Nisky has been better than Kris, but Kris' best hockey is >> Niskanen's best hockey, thus far anyway. We would have to re-sign Nisky first, and get a HELL of a good return for me to comfortably trade Letang with the view that Nisky is his replacement. Jiggy brings up an excellent point about how CP may have been more aggressive in the trades. But the best comparable to the idea of trading Letang would be trading Coffey when we had Murphy. The difference: Murhphy was an established elite Dman who ended up being a HHOFer. Nisky has been great, but far from Murphy's level of where he was at that time. So there is risk here, big time.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
1) We would have to re-sign Nisky first. It puts us in a bad negotiating position if we trade Letang first and then go all ga-ga over Nisky, because he & his agent will know we need him and that they have us over a barrel.

Not really, we have Orpik chomping at the bit for a deal right behind Nisky, and we have youngsters fighting to make this roster for next year. And they are taking the risk of injury or a poor playoff performance out of the picture by resigning Nisky early.

And Nisky KNOWS how this org loves Orpik. With Martin, Despres and Maatta you have enough of an offensive contribution, especially with DP on the horizon.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
2) I love Nisky, I advocate re-signing him, and all that jazz. BUT, Letang is a proven playoff warrior, whereas Niksy HAS wilted in the playoffs.

Letang has been part of the reason for collapses in the playoffs ever since we won the cup, and back then he was 6th in ES icetime and received the lowest QOC matchups of all.
Not arguing that Niskanen has not certainly had his struggles also, and more so than Letang, but he legitimately looks better than ever this season, and Letang clearly does not merit the proven playoff warrior tag. Never mind piling up assists in series where the Pens scored at an almost historic rate.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just imagine if this team had drafted local kid Saad instead of Morrow.

Most of this discussion would not be happening now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just imagine if this team had drafted local kid Saad instead of Morrow.

Most of this discussion would not be happening now.

No, instead the discussion would be focused on why Bylsma has Saad playing on the 3rd/4th line, while Dupuis/Kobasew are playing in the top six.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The Pens aren't trading Letang. Trading him now when his value is low would be moronic. We wouldn't get fair value. When he starts playing better, there would be no point in trading him. He's here to stay for awhile. I don't think moving him is even a possibility until Pouliot is closer to being a top 4 NHL defensemen.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Not really, we have Orpik chomping at the bit for a deal right behind Nisky, and we have youngsters fighting to make this roster for next year. And they are taking the risk of injury or a poor playoff performance out of the picture by resigning Nisky early.

And Nisky KNOWS how this org loves Orpik. With Martin, Despres and Maatta you have enough of an offensive contribution, especially with DP on the horizon.

Ugh, I hate how true this is. I really hope Orpik is gone next year... I love what he's done for the Pens over the years, I have no problem with him as a person or as a player, but this team has outgrown him - there is simply no place for him on this team anymore with the players we have signed past this year, and the kids waiting to come up from the minors.

Jet Set

Mar 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
My point exactly. I'd want either Landeskog or Duchene coming back with O'Reilly rather than McGinn, who has YET to complete a season. For a reason I don't know, I have apprehensions about Colorado's forward stockpile.

Edit:
It's funny... you hear the names Moulson and Vanek thrown around on the rumors board a lot, but Letang makes the untouchable touchable. I like this leverage.

Edit 2:
Just saw that the Canucks beat the Oilers 2-1... Without Tortorella. Or Henrik Sedin. Lets get this Eberle and Gagner thing rolling if we're dealing Tanger. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Even at full value Letang ain't getting you Duchene and Landeskog? We would not get them in a 1 for 1 swap, they won't be going anywhere.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would add significantly to Letang for Landeskog. I really don't think we should trade Letang, and I really don't want to. Landy is one of the very few wingers in the league I'd move him for. He's perfect for this team/Crosby's wing.

Of course, that big of a blockbuster type trade pretty much never happens.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Put me in the boat of "We are a better team with Nisky+ Letangs return, instead of Letang+2nd tier FA scraps." Plus if Letang can net us 2 long term forwards, maybe we wont have to see Kobasew, Comrie types ever again?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There are way more options than that if Letang is truly on the table.

Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, maybe even Vancouver would be interested, as well as plenty of teams out east. About the only teams out west who would have no interest because of their D depth, are CHI, STL, and LA. Maybe NSH. Every other WC team would be taking / making calls for sure.

Not saying it's likely in any specific case (or that all of these guys are guys we should target - some aren't), but value-wise and teams that lack defensive depth-wise, here's a list of players not from the above 4 teams or CO or EDM, and excluding our main rivals, that could be had potentially in a Letang deal:

Nichushkin +
Boedker +
Silfverberg +
Burrows +
And if STL could ever be made to take an interest, Tarasenko or Schwartz most likely would be an option
Wheeler (I don't think Shero would make a move for Kane given his immaturity / brash style -- maybe a year or two that's different)
Any high upside F on Florida's roster (plus some), except maybe Barkov -- but even he could be had if we added some F depth in, IMO
Lupul
Pacioretty (if we include some F depth)

Anyway, the point is there are many more options than you apparently think, that are on the table, should Shero start taking calls for Kris Letang.

And nearly all of those deals suck. If we trade Letang, we need a guaranteed real thing. Burrows? Really?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I don't see us getting fair value. And so I don't see Letang actually getting traded. He's here for the long run.

The big winger trade will happen at some point, but it will involve the young D we have, not Letang.

It won't be a "big winger trade" if Tang isn't involved. It'll be a "terrible rental trade" or a "hopefully prospect trade".

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens aren't trading Letang. Trading him now when his value is low would be moronic. We wouldn't get fair value. When he starts playing better, there would be no point in trading him. He's here to stay for awhile. I don't think moving him is even a possibility until Pouliot is closer to being a top 4 NHL defensemen.

I don't buy that his value is all that low. Just because we are complaining about him doesn't mean NHL GM's feel the same way. He was just a Norris candidate and has 9 goals in 31 games, despite playing like ass. I think most will see the potential and jump all over acquiring that type of player. And again, trading him isn't about him sucking or not being a great player, it's that our D is strong is still strong without him and we have obvious needs up front. It would sting to lose him, but it's the type of risky move that could pay off huge for this team now and in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad