News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Letang is a luxury at this point, not a need. People are mesmerized by his skating and the number of points he picks up, but so many of his points come off of simply who he passes to.

Even though Subban was ass today, his point totals are so much more impressive because the Habs have no high end forwards save for Pacioretty. The team's offense FLOWS through Subban. I've never been able to say that about Letang. With all the puck movers coming up, he can easily be replaced by committee.

Pretty much sums it up.
The good news is that as long as he keeps his production up, he can always be a piece that can be moved because his cap hit will look very cheap in a couple years.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Pens could have afforded PAP 2 and a half years ago? That is a lifetime ago in hockey circles, and PAP is a much more proven player than he was when he left the Island. A lot of people questioned if he could put up numbers without Tavares, and he has produced solid numbers over the last two and a half seasons, playing with various combos of lines with different roles. PA is probably an 80 point guy playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Maybe I am overrating PAP... but I think he is far better than you are giving him credit for, not to mention Barrie is legit, though far from proven, D prospect and Wilson is a decent 5/6 D man.

Even moving Letang, the Pens have more than enough D. Scuds, Martin, Maatta and Bortuzzo are signed. Orpik, Nisky, and Engo are UFA; however, both Orpik and Nisky sound like they want to stay with the team, and Engelland is cheap. They have Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin as well as Ruopp in AHL with only Despres and Samuelsson becoming RFAs this year.

With two pieces of the trade redundant, it is a top D man for an undersized, third-second line wing with average skating ability, average off-puck work, and questionable defense but good offensive insticts and proven 50-60 point production and a pick.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
And like clock work this friggin' guy comes in here and proposes this garbage! :laugh: HOG was 100% spot on about these Av fans and their evaluations... Where's the Tylenol?

LawsuitLogosPics_tylenol_tylenol.png

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
And like clock work this friggin' guy comes in here and proposes this garbage! :laugh: HOG was 100% spot on about these Av fans and their evaluations... Where's the Tylenol?

Finally...someone understands. :laugh:
The main piece in a Tang trade will not be a recent UFA that Shero could have just gone after for free.

Even better is his inclusion of Barrie and Wilson, because the Pens dire need is more defensemen, poor Simon Despres, gets screwed even in that deal, lol.

Simon: "What, Kris got traded? Wait, does that mean I am being recalled?"
Hynes: "Uh..yeah about that Simon, they traded for Barrie and Wilson."
Simon: *speeds off to Dunkin Donuts while his mustache waves in the air like smooth silk*

Michael8771*

Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals)

And we will see you in the Cup Finals.

But really, meets both teams needs in a lot of ways.

Avs need a major upgrade to the D core, and Letang fits most of those needs in a big way. Avs probably look to add an additional D man via another trade to play with EJ or Letang, Hejda will play with one of them. Adams fills a need for a veteran depth forward with a winning pedigree.

PA Parenteau would be amazing with either Crosby or Malkin. Wilson provides filler depth on the blueline in the now with Barrie coming in as part of the future. All three guys fit into the Pens cap situation very well, as the three combined make less than Letang. Pick varies depending on end result this season for the Avs. Pens either sit tight with that D core this season and hope Wilson can stay healthy enough or Barrie picks up his game enough to work now OR trade Wilson plus whatever they were going to use to bring in a winger to get a D upgrade.
I really don't care for that trade at all, no thanks.

Michael8771*

At 30, PAP is not exactly young-ish, but he is not old either...probably has 4-5 years of top level play in him...and his style of game + the fact he was a bit of a late bloomer seems to indicate to me he will probably age well past the 35+ prime years. Starting in his first full season he has 53 points, 67 points, 43 in 48 games in the short season, and 25 in 39 this year with a good chunk of this season early spent breaking MacKinnon into the league. PAP is a legit top-line winger who can play well with star talent or in a more defensive 3rd line roll if needed. (25th leading scorer in NHL last year, tied for 26th 2 years ago)

Barrie, Wilson, and a 3rd/2nd are a pretty decent + as well. (Barrie equates to a early 2nd or late 1st round pick on the HF Boards scale of value, Wilson a late 3rd or early 4th, and well, the pick is a 2nd or 3rd depending on the outcome of the playoffs)

Plus, his cap hit is very friendly at 4 million for 2 more seasons after this for a proven 60 point scorer who probably jumps to 80 with Crosby or Malkin.

Guess the dog won't hunt for the Pens fans, which is fine, but the value is there IMO and I think both clubs would walk away winners from this, both in the now and the long run.
No, the value is not there, You're giving us a journeymen player in PA who is decent offensively but relatively vanilla in all other facets. You want a guy who is in the Norris conversation (in recent years) and who has a high ceilng regarding talent and production. This is terrible value from a pens perspective.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals)
Too much quantity for quality there. Wilson and Barrie are two guys we have less than zero use for given our depth on defense with or even without Letang. PA Parenteau is good but he's not the same quality of asset that Letang is. It would be like us offering a healthy Dupuis, Orpik and Despres for ROR or Landeskog. Dupuis, Orpik and Despres are good but none of them are quality core player type of assets these days. Neither are Barrie, Wilson or Parenteau. Letang is a core player. He is here and he would be in Colorado.

Letang is our ROR situation. LeBrun reported the other day that Roy needs mega offer to even think about moving O'Reilly. I'm sure Shero feels the same about Letang. I doubt either guy gets moved, but if either of them were, it would have to be quality for quality, a core player for a core player. Quantity for quality just isn't going to get it done for either side.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It has to be the right trade, obviously, but I can only agree with the article as I have said the same for a long, long time.

Scuds Martin
Maatta Nisky
Despres Bortuzzo

.... I am fine with that as our 6 if our forward group is as kickass as it should then be with a strong return for Letang. This is of course a next season kind of lineup, as it is hard to imagine that Shero deals not only Letang (don't quite believe that he would) or indeed Orpik who should be dealt now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Got to be the right trade up top and I also don't see Shero trading him. Would impact on him and his reputation and management ability, he won't want to take that hit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Needs to be done, but Shero doesn't have the sack, or the brains. He'll move Despres for some Guerin-esque player, and the collective opinion of Shero will continue to drop.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Avs fans don't want to trade ROR... there is little chance they will put a fair offer together for him. To be honest I don't think ROR will be traded anyhow.... unless his RFA contract situation gets messy

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought Dejan just got finished saying that Despres needed to go?

We can't trade everyone

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Letang and Adams for PAP, two defensive prospects (uggggggh), and a meh pick next season doesn't excite me in the least. i pass without thinking about it.

you can have Adams for that meh pick though :sarcasm:

GlennTheFrog

Dec 5, 2005
South Hills
To say that we should trade Letang is not a bold statement. He's having a bad year. See Letang's Advanced Stats

His Corsi % is the lowest in 3 years and off his career marks by a lot. Plus CorsiRel is negative, meaning he's making his line mates worse when he's on the ice.

Trading him now would be selling at the lowest value, which is almost never good. Plus, he's a guy that could easily turn his game around and be the all-star caliber player we knew and used to love.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
But the thing is, having Letang back at that level doesn't get us past the "no offensive depth" come playoff time issue. We're fine without Letang. Hell, we're doing well with him playing atrocious hockey.

He's the type of high profile player that will command a big return, just on name and previous accolades alone. I don't buy that there's not a GM in the league that wouldn't be willing to part with the type of winger we want/need for Letang. There's probably half a dozen or more.

We're a stronger team with the return Letang brings than with Letang sticking around.

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
I created a thread at the beginning of the year stating Letang was a luxury and not a necessity for this team. I still believe that even though the thread got locked for some reason.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why not?
Kane has the potential to become a sub-Ovi scorer, so maybe I can't see Winnipeg paying the kings' ransom for Letang.

Letang for Eberle and Gagner makes perfect sense. Oilers want to move Gagner to begin with, and Eberle alone isn't worth Letang (do consider that Eberle's contract is shorter than Letang's, too.) It gives Edmonton the star defenceman they need at the cost of good offensive talent, which I understand they have a stockpile of.

Remember when Shero was willing to throw everything but 66's mansion at Zach Parise a year or so back? Well, look at the numbers: Eberle is scary close to what Parise was, and much younger and, more impressively, not playing with developed veterans like Parise was. There's no reason that Shero shouldn't be on the phone with MacTavish constantly checking in on the kid's availabilty, as long as Edmonton is in the basement.

And somebody please clarify to me why Ryan O'Reilly is so. highly. coveted.
I'm simply not sold on the guy!
Plus, ALL of his scouting reports have him as a "Great two-way center"
We need a speedy, scoring winger... It's like we need the Johnathan Toews even though the Jordan Staal is available. Oh, wait...

If Letang gets moved, I believe Edmonton is a suitable destination. He's got a shot at becoming a captain. He has offensive talent to get the puck to. They're on the right of the rebuild not far from where Letang came in on the Penguins, except perhaps Pittsburgh was better coached than Edmonton is. Realistically, 58 could win a cup there in 2-3 years and remain a contender down the road.

I still don't want him moved, though.

Even if you could get Gagner and Eberle for Letang, we wouldn't even come close to fitting that under the salary cap this season and would be extremely difficult in the off season. If Shero wanted more than Eberle, it would have to be a pick or prospect.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My point exactly. I'd want either Landeskog or Duchene coming back with O'Reilly rather than McGinn, who has YET to complete a season. For a reason I don't know, I have apprehensions about Colorado's forward stockpile.

Edit:
It's funny... you hear the names Moulson and Vanek thrown around on the rumors board a lot, but Letang makes the untouchable touchable. I like this leverage.

Edit 2:
Just saw that the Canucks beat the Oilers 2-1... Without Tortorella. Or Henrik Sedin. Lets get this Eberle and Gagner thing rolling if we're dealing Tanger. :laugh:

Wait, you want Landeskog/Duchene + O'Reilly for Letang? Well sure, I want a prime Gretzky to be our 3rd line center but it doesn't mean it close to realistic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, what do you know ... that's three points I agree with you on. The sky may be falling :laugh: I think Shero is going to see what he has in BB, Megna and Gibbons before he looks to the trade market. It wouldn't surprise me to see him move some of Bylsma's pets to force him to play those guys, either. As far as Letang goes, I think a little patience is in order. But if we do trade him, I agree, it would need to be one hell of a return.

Are you talking this season? We don't have much time to see BB, Megna, and Gibbons before the deadline and I don't feel particularly good about our cup chances with those guys plus the pets rounding out 5 wing spots. We really need upgrades this season if we are going to seriously challenge for a Cup.

Michael8771*

Even if you could get Gagner and Eberle for Letang, we wouldn't even come close to fitting that under the salary cap this season and would be extremely difficult in the off season. If Shero wanted more than Eberle, it would have to be a pick or prospect.
Well, unless they took back some salary.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Are you talking this season? We don't have much time to see BB, Megna, and Gibbons before the deadline and I don't feel particularly good about our cup chances with those guys plus the pets rounding out 5 wing spots. We really need upgrades this season if we are going to seriously challenge for a Cup.

Even if we did have time, Bylsma would piss it away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad