Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024: Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Tappara loaned him to Jukurit last season. I believe he has one more year left on his contract with Tappara. So, sending him to Rochester might be tricky.

Capture.PNG

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know the SHL transfer agreement allows first round picks to play in the AHL. Not sure how it works for the Finnish league.
I am not sure about that given that Rosen and Ostlund both played in the SHL in their D+1 seasons because they were still under contract with their SHL teams.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
With him signing where do we expect him to be playing next year? Roch? Back in Europe? Cup of coffee with the big club?
On the Maintenance Day podcast yesterday they talked like Rochester was a forgone conclusion. Obviously involves some guesswork but they like having their top prospects under their own roof. They did point out the big difference between him pulling Rosen over was that Rosen wasn’t getting minutes in his league and that isn’t a problem for Helenius. So going back isn’t a bad answer like it was there. But I agree…they like their guys in their program.

I am not sure about that given that Rosen and Ostlund both played in the SHL in their D+1 seasons because they were still under contract with their SHL teams.
Everything I’ve heard they can put him in Roch with a contract in Finland if he wants to go there. It’s easier than in Sweden.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Everything I’ve heard they can put him in Roch with a contract in Finland if he wants to go there. It’s easier than in Sweden.
If Google is right, the 1st rounders can go to the AHL even if they are signed by a team in a league that is covered by the NHL-European League transfer agreement.

So, it would seem like they can put Helenius in Rochester as long as he's open to that plan. Which it would seem to be.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Neither Ostlund nor Rosen were ready for the AHL at 18 anyway. Ostlund was even right to go back at 19. Rosen adapted much faster than people would have expected at 19 but the main reason they wanted him over was because they could get him ice time he wasn’t getting over there.

Helenius is more ready than either were at 18. But he also has a great option in Finland this year because he will get good ice time

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Neither Ostlund nor Rosen were ready for the AHL at 18 anyway. Ostlund was even right to go back at 19. Rosen adapted much faster than people would have expected at 19 but the main reason they wanted him over was because they could get him ice time he wasn’t getting over there.

Helenius is more ready than either were at 18. But he also has a great option in Finland this year because he will get good ice time
I wouldn't count on that.

Last year, Tappara loaned him out to a lower level Liiga team and Tappara went on to win the league title. He will likely be more challenged for icetime in Rochester (Kulich & Ostlund also at center) or with Tappara as they try and repeat.

Org was in a different place then, plus both needed that year. I would say for Helenius, he would be better served in the AHL and they could give him a big role.
With Kulich and Ostlund also playing center in Rochester, it will be a fight for premium ice time, in all likelihood.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There is nothing wrong with third line minutes and developing his shutdown game there. There is room for him.
In a vacuum, I'd agree.

But right now, Rochester has Jobst as really the only "veteran" center. The "veteran" forwards right now are Murray, Dunne and Warren. Otherwise, Rochesters forwards are AWFULLY young. They need another veteran guy (badly, IMO), preferably one that's a bit higher-end AHL-wise.

Reactions: ceky and elchud

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
In a vacuum, I'd agree.

But right now, Rochester has Jobst as really the only "veteran" center. The "veteran" forwards right now are Murray, Dunne and Warren. Otherwise, Rochesters forwards are AWFULLY young. They need another veteran guy (badly, IMO), preferably one that's a bit higher-end AHL-wise.
Aside from what's best for him, I am also just reading the tea leaves. The media and rumors have been pretty bullish on him staying.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I believe that was a team decision. They had the option of keeping him in the AHL per the transfer agreement, but in consultation with the player they decided to send them back.

Wahlberg on the other hand being a 2nd round pick meant they had no choice, he had to go back.

The biggest reason why Kulich played in the AHL is IMO that HE wanted to play in NA. Most 18 year olds would rather stay home one (or two) more years before coming across the pond.

Reactions: Jim Bob

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The biggest reason why Kulich played in the AHL is IMO that HE wanted to play in NA. Most 18 year olds would rather stay home one (or two) more years before coming across the pond.
Biggest issue with kids coming over is culture/language. Most Scandinavian kids speak pretty good English and I think Kulich did too. That's a leg up considering all the other crazy lifestyle shocks they will have coming to N America as an 18 or 19 yo. This is one of the bigger challenges for Russian kids who also need to add English and I think it really slows down their development if they come too early.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

Last year, Tappara loaned him out to a lower level Liiga team and Tappara went on to win the league title. He will likely be more challenged for icetime in Rochester (Kulich & Ostlund also at center) or with Tappara as they try and repeat.

With Kulich and Ostlund also playing center in Rochester, it will be a fight for premium ice time, in all likelihood.
I'd put Kulich back on the wing where I think he ends up anyway. Problem solved.

You could also start Hele out slow with 3rd line minutes and if mid year he is looking good or if Kulich gets called up, you can ramp up his minutes then.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I’d hope they move Kulich back to the wing in that case. Seems like the position he belongs in, while Ostlund and Helenius look like natural centers.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Habs fan here, i would like to congrat you guys for picking Helenius that late, he was my 4th ranked foward after Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom and was easily one of my favorite players in the draft. This kid has an insane motor over 200 ft., initiates contacts and wins most of his puck battles against growth men, he is gritty, slippery, competes hard every shifts and of course, his hockey IQ that is off the chart.

You got a little warrior who will contributes on the scoresheet, but also in many areas of the game, he is a beauty on and off the puck. He is a natural center with 70 pts potential IMO, maybe 80.

I had him to the Habs at 5 OV in the eventuality Demidov and Lindstrom were off the board, fortunately for us, Demidov dropped.

Helenius will make alot of GMs look really bad, you can trust me on that.

Edit: In Bobby Mackenzie's final ranking, out of 10 NHL scouts he polled, 2 of them had Helenius top 3 and 3 others had him top 7.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Aside from what's best for him, I am also just reading the tea leaves. The media and rumors have been pretty bullish on him staying.
I know everyone is talking like he will play in Rochester this season.

All I am saying is that there are legit questions about how much ice time he would get if he's in Rochester or in Liiga if he isn't loaned out again.

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
I think it'd be good for his development if he plays in Tappara next season. I think one of the best things about this pick is that Olli Jokinen was his coach last season (active playstyle, accountability and high standards in training and conditioning). That's not going to chance next season as Rikard Grönborg is the coach who'll have same pros as Jokinen. Then there's also expectations to win Liiga and succeed in CHL. He will likely have key role and quality around him in Tappara if he stays.

IMO Helenius probably has (had) the best pipeline to succeed in NHL than any Finnish prospect in recent memory. So if he stays I wouldn't worry about his development at all. I'd like him to get a bit stronger before he goes to AHL/NHL. It worked for guys like Aho and Heiskanen.

Maybe I've seen too many rushed Finnish prospects in recent years that should've stayed or at least play whole season in AHL (Puljujärvi, Kotkaniemi, Kakko etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad