Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024: Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Given the profile of other guys we took in the draft, it wouldn't shock me if the decision came down to MBN vs. Solberg had Helenius not been there.

That was my angst for trading back to 14th, I assumed Helenius would be gone.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
That goalie put his head down the second he bit. In that moment, he knew what happened.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I said it earlier in this thread, and i'll say it again. Like Helenius, and would've been fine with him as MN's pick at 13, but I didn't like the premature trade down from 11. After the way this draft played out, I HATE that trade. Yes, you have a gazillion LHD, but Silayev and Buium are potential top of the lineup players. Silayev has a shutdown D profile(huge, defensive, great skater, mean) that the Sabres could really use, and Buium, while he is more of an offensive guy, looked special in just about every game I watched of his this year. You can't tell me that some team wouldn't pay through the nose for either player at the draft, even though I think you have to draft Silayev, and strongly consider Buium. Those players were not supposed to be available at 11.

Unforced error, for me.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I said it earlier in this thread, and i'll say it again. Like Helenius, and would've been fine with him as MN's pick at 13, but I didn't like the premature trade down from 11. After the way this draft played out, I HATE that trade. Yes, you have a gazillion LHD, but Silayev and Buium are potential top of the lineup players. Silayev has a shutdown D profile(huge, defensive, great skater, mean) that the Sabres could really use, and Buium, while he is more of an offensive guy, looked special in just about every game I watched of his this year. You can't tell me that some team wouldn't pay through the nose for either player at the draft, even though I think you have to draft Silayev, and strongly consider Buium. Those players were not supposed to be available at 11.

Unforced error, for me.
They weren't interested Buium. They would have even taken Helenius at 11. They said the only player they were interested in left before 11, so that's it. And I don't think it was Silayev.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007

Unforced error, for me.
I didn't like the trade down myself, but Silayev wasn't going to be an option. He got picked at #10

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Unforced error, for me.

I agree 100% ... They could of used their own 2nd to get Malenstyn.

Should of took Silayev

I didn't like the trade down myself, but Silayev wasn't going to be an option. He got picked at #10

Then I recant my previous response ha

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Unforced error, for me.
Silayev wasn’t on the board at 11. Dickinson was. We have three puck moving LHD with even higher draft pedigree than the two D who were actually on the board. I wonder how mad you would have been if they stuck at 11 and took Helenius anyway. Because after the trade for Byram…that’s what would have happened.

Reactions: Fjordy and Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Silayev wasn’t on the board at 11. Dickinson was. We have three puck moving LHD with even higher draft pedigree than the two D who were actually on the board. I wonder how mad you would have been if they stuck at 11 and took Helenius anyway. Because after the trade for Byram…that’s what would have happened.
Buium also fell to 12. I would have taken any of the 3. I don't think anyone should be mad we ended up with Helenius.

He was projected to be top 10 on most people's boards. I think Bob McKenzie had him at 9.

I love the pick. The Nordic countries especially Sweden have a good track record of producing well rounding two-way players that do very well in the NHL.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Unforced error, for me.
I usually like and agree with most of your posts when you pop in here and on the main trade board, but I think you're a bit off base here.

Firstly, Silayev wouldn't have been an option for us at 11 as he was taken by the Devils at 10. So the 2 Dmen available to us at 11 would have been Dickinson or Buium. There is ZERO chance that Buium was on our radar. Not with Dahlin, Power and Byram. Dickinson? Yeah, he's a bit better defensively than what we've got.....but he's a LHD, and we already have that smooth-skating, solid positioning style in Ryan Johnson.....so again, I don't think he would have been a real option.

Then there's the Adams/Forton post-draft presser where they said that there was only one guy they were interested in as much as Helenius....and he was gone by 11. GM speak? Maybe.....but Adams/Forton have seemingly always been honest about this stuff.

The pick at 11 would have been Helenius had we stayed there. So we got Helenius and Malenstyn for a 2-spot trade back, and still got a really nice defense-first RHD prospect in the 2nd.

Maybe we got a touch lucky that Helenius was still there at 13.....but I see that trade as an absolute win.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They just brought in a puck moving 22 year old LHD. At the cost of a center. They were going to move on from Savoie too.

You look at public charts and say “oh no…the fifth best player fell and we missed him!” they’re looking at 6 D they aren’t going to take anyway and know full well that San Jose wants 11 because they are guaranteed one of those 6. If we had any interest in them we wouldn’t have moved. They didn’t

They weren’t taking Buium. They weren’t taking Dickinson. They aren’t stupid. Not wanting them is why they moved. They got value for the spot instead of just taking someone who went lower anyway

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I usually like and agree with most of your posts when you pop in here and on the main trade board, but I think you're a bit off base here.

Firstly, Silayev wouldn't have been an option for us at 11 as he was taken by the Devils at 10. So the 2 Dmen available to us at 11 would have been Dickinson or Buium. There is ZERO chance that Buium was on our radar. Not with Dahlin, Power and Byram. Dickinson? Yeah, he's a bit better defensively than what we've got.....but he's a LHD, and we already have that smooth-skating, solid positioning style in Ryan Johnson.....so again, I don't think he would have been a real option.

Then there's the Adams/Forton post-draft presser where they said that there was only one guy they were interested in as much as Helenius....and he was gone by 11. GM speak? Maybe.....but Adams/Forton have seemingly always been honest about this stuff.

The pick at 11 would have been Helenius had we stayed there. So we got Helenius and Malenstyn for a 2-spot trade back, and still got a really nice defense-first RHD prospect in the 2nd.

Maybe we got a touch lucky that Helenius was still there at 13.....but I see that trade as an absolute win.
How about the Devils GM saying it was either Silayev or Helenius at 10. We actually have another teams GM flat out saying that Buium and Dickinson falling didn’t move the needle for him either.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Sorry, brain fart, but Dickinson is in a completely different tier of player RyJo, whose game I know quite well. Dickinson has many of the attributes of Silayev, but is, arguably, more polished, and an even better skater and athlete. Added bonus with him is that there is no "Russian factor" and that as a Toronto boy he would be very comfortable playing in Buffalo. I could see him playing for the Sabres in 25-26, even though i hate rushing D prospects. All three of the LHD were picked lower than anticipated - these are very high end guys, potentially, and Silayev and Dickinson are elite defensively, with terrific tools. Buium is a different deal... still not sure if he will be a good NHL defender, but not not sure that he won't be, either.

It's not a disaster because I like Helenius. Seems to have a very mature game...smart guy. I can see him playing sooner rather than later. Even if he ends up being a middle of the road scorer(i.e 35-40 pts), he will still be a useful player, of the type the Sabres need, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad