Confirmed with Link: Kochetkov extended for 4 years x 2mil AAV

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Wow that's unexpected but great deal all around. Nice security for Pyotr and walks him to UFA at 28 y/o. A bit of gamble given he's only played 7 regular season games, but the $2m AAV fits the cap structure the borg wants for the backup/1B and the upside that he could establish himself as a legit starter is well worth the gamble.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
So now it's all but guaranteed that Freddie and/or Raanta is gone after this year. Wonder which we pick to keep or if we let both go and get another goalie in free agency. Glad we have some longer term certainty here though rather than rotating out 2 goalies every couple years like we have been so far. There's a tiny bit of risk with the small sample size but I'm very high on Koochie and think he'll turn out to be generally an above average starter, with potential to be even better.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is a really unique contract. Per the CapFriendly signings archive, no goalie has signed for 4 years or more at less than $3 mil (not adjusting for cap inflation) post-lockout.

It's a very Rays-esque contract, to use an MLB reference. Lock up a sure-thing backup who might have starter potential to a longer-term than traditionally done by teams.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So now it's all but guaranteed that Freddie and/or Raanta is gone after this year. Wonder which we pick to keep or if we let both go and get another goalie in free agency. Glad we have some longer term certainty here though rather than rotating out 2 goalies every couple years like we have been so far. There's a tiny bit of risk with the small sample size but I'm very high on Koochie and think he'll turn out to be generally an above average starter, with potential to be even better.
I’d let them both walk, honestly. They’re not going to stay healthier as they continue to get older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad