Value of: Klingberg to Calgary.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol of course your not gonna want to give up an actual good prospect .

When’s the last time a positive trending first ex-first rounder was traded for a rental?

Generally teams are more willing to move future picks or a mix of future picks and prospects that maybe haven’t hit their stride (or were later round picks).

The last one I can think of was Erat, and he wasn’t a pending UFA and that worked out horribly for the Caps.

Ledge And Dairy

Lol of course your not gonna want to give up an actual good prospect .
Rentals almost never return blue chip prospects, especially from teams that aren't looking to add that type of player.

1st and a good prospect? Sure. Add in a decent depth player on a cheap deal like Kiviranta then the price goes up a bit, retain a bit more. Still not returning a blue chip prospect though

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
When’s the last time a positive trending first ex-first rounder was traded for a rental?

Generally teams are more willing to move future picks or a mix of future picks and prospects that maybe haven’t hit their stride (or were later round picks).

The last one I can think of was Erat, and he wasn’t a pending UFA and that worked out horribly for the Caps.
When’s the last time a rhd as good as klingberg on a cheap 4.5m was available at the deadline ? Serious question .

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Why would we only entertain team's seeking him as a rental? There's teams out there that will give Klingberg a long term deal, he's a RH #1D with insane offensive-upside.

Those of you trying to get Klingberg for pennies on the dollar as a rental are out to lunch.

Reactions: Doubledose

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe Calgary isn’t interested , but I believe that’s the type of prospect the stars are gonna want .
Then call Toronto and go get your young stars brother, or call Tampa about Foote, or Carolina about Bear. Pelletier is the best rookie in the AHL and Coronato was just drafted 12th (13th) OA. Again rentals don't return that caliber of prospect

Reactions: CF84 and Boomstick

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
When’s the last time a rhd as good as klingberg on a cheap 4.5m was available at the deadline ? Serious question .

Shattenkirk to the Caps in 2017 is the closest comp.

Personally, I doubt the return for Klingberg is more than that, late 1st, middling prospect (Zach Sanford) and roster dump (Brad Malone). The Blues also retained salary.

Reactions: Volica and Bfantz

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't have a stake in either one of the teams in question, but Klingberg's not returning a top prospect. At least, he's not if dealt as a rental. If there's a team interested in a trade-and-sign arrangement, then that would change matters. Yet those are fairly uncommon.

A first and a middling B prospect is about the norm. Possibly add a mid-tier roster player changing hands if the money needs to be massaged.

If the Stars don't think that is worthwhile, they could certainly keep him through season's end and work on a possible compromise on a new deal. It sounds like both sides are ready to move on though, and soon, with hard feelings apparent on each side.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I don't have a stake in either one of the teams in question, but Klingberg's not returning a top prospect. At least, he's not if dealt as a rental. If there's a team interested in a trade-and-sign arrangement, then that would change matters but those are fairly uncommon.

A first and a middling B prospect is about the norm. Possibly add a mid-tier roster player changing hands if the money needs to be massaged.
I think klingberg finds a long term home before the deadline tbh .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think klingberg finds a long term home before the deadline tbh .
Of course you do. Every fan of every team that is about to trade an erstwhile core piece at the deadline as a rental concocts a scenario in which he signs a long-term deal, maximizing the return for the seller. The reality is that while those do exist, they are rare. Most rentals go as rentals, and only a few players end up signing an extension as part of the initial trade.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Personally, I doubt the return for Klingberg is more than that, late 1st, middling prospect (Zach Sanford) and roster dump (Brad Malone). The Blues also retained salary.

This would be a very good comp, but on the other side of things. Apparently there were a few sign and trades in place for this as well. Main one that comes to mind is it was pretty heavily reported if Shattenkirk had been willing to extend with Tampa he would’ve been traded for Drouin.

That being said I’d imagine Klingberg gets traded in the same sort of deal that 95% of rentals are traded upon. Unless they’d rather make a hockey trade as opposed to a trade for futures.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
This would be a very good comp, but on the other side of things. Apparently there were a few sign and trades in place for this as well. Main one that comes to mind is it was pretty heavily reported if Shattenkirk had been willing to extend with Tampa he would’ve been traded for Drouin.

That being said I’d imagine Klingberg gets traded in the same sort of deal that 95% of rentals are traded upon. Unless they’d rather make a hockey trade as opposed to a trade for futures.

I suppose you have to take into account the difference in cap situations from 2017 to now. I imagine contending teams would have been much more inclined to pay up for an asset they would end up retaining for a few years vs a rental back then. The cap was still going up each year.

Now, the cap is only scheduled to go up $1M and likely delay any significant upward movement with the transformer variant still raging. Take that and also the fact that most, if not all of the interested teams are up against the cap already, and you have to think that most view Klingberg strictly as a rental.

I’m a Canes fan. I certainly wouldn’t mind the Canes acquiring Klingberg, depending on the ask, but I’m under no illusion that he’d be sticking around, just no cap room next year with all the young guys to sign. I think that same situation would play out across the league with whoever ends up with him.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Beat me to it.
Shattenkirk was also making 4.25, and the Blues held 39% of it.

Maybe the Stone trade is the best comparable for what some Stars fans are expecting? Vegas knew they were going to sign him long term and gave up a big prospect at that time?

Reactions: Bfantz

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Then call Toronto and go get your young stars brother, or call Tampa about Foote, or Carolina about Bear. Pelletier is the best rookie in the AHL and Coronato was just drafted 12th (13th) OA. Again rentals don't return that caliber of prospect

Thanks. We'll deal with them. It's best we deal Klingberg to a team that he will re-sign with and will get what he and the team wants, long-term...which will justify the asking price/return.

I guess Calgary isn't that team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thanks. We'll deal with them. It's best we deal Klingberg to a team that he will re-sign with and will get what he and the team wants, long-term...which will justify the asking price/return.

I guess Calgary isn't that team.

Yeah, likely him wanting that 8M is the sticking point on the defensive end.
Flames have a very young, cost controlled, great blueline.

Would Klingberg improve the backend? You bet.
Do we have the cap to make it work? Probably not.
Are we a Klingberg away from being an incredible team? Probably not.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, likely him wanting that 8M is the sticking point on the defensive end.
Flames have a very young, cost controlled, great blueline.

Would Klingberg improve the backend? You bet.
Do we have the cap to make it work? Probably not.
Are we a Klingberg away from being an incredible team? Probably not.

Definitely not, with an attitude like that. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad