Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
Not at all. Maybe a little poke at the "Gold Standard" verbiage. But my thoughts were based around why we aren't seasoning more prospects in the GOJHL? Let em grow and mature, even the skilled guys.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Not at all. Maybe a little poke at the "Gold Standard" verbiage. But my thoughts were based around why we aren't seasoning more prospects in the GOJHL? Let em grow and mature, even the skilled guys.
I agree about seasoning prospects in the GOJHL (or elsewhere) where they would get more ice time. But not to the extent of sending them all down. There's nothing I dislike more than seeing a draftee dress for half the games then playing 8-10 4th line minutes.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Stark is becoming a full time defender. Was his request

Import
We’d obviously like to have two at some point,” said McKenzie. “I think it will sort itself out.”
-JB
Have to admit that I didn't see that one coming. He did well enough during the playoffs. Could turn into a solid puck moving D.

MM also noted Parsons as Rangers goalie going into this season. I would imagine Malboeuf will either be traded OR will go the college/university route. Edwards needs to get games in this year. And by the sounds of things, we have a good one in Schaubel to follow in.

No imports joining the team.....supposedly...but we'll see if that changes over the coming weeks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree about seasoning prospects in the GOJHL (or elsewhere) where they would get more ice time. But not to the extent of sending them all down. There's nothing I dislike more than seeing a draftee dress for half the games then playing 8-10 4th line minutes.
I’d be in favour of having most if not all our 08’s play anywhere from some of, to a significant amount of the season at the JrB level.

Obviously, 08’s signed to B cards, the status quo. But those signed to A cards? I’d be on board with most or all of them spending significant time at the JrB level. A 50-50 split in games? Perhaps.

Playing top six minutes at the JrB level trumps playing minuscule minutes in the OHL on a regular basis. Especially when you consider they’d still practise with the big team everyday and dress for some of the games.

Sam O’Reilly and William Nichol are good examples of how development at the JrB level can work. Here in Kitchener, based on what we saw in last year’s playoffs, I’m thinking Andrew McNiel will be a very good example of how extensive JrB time can advance your game.

Sign four 08’s to A cards and rotate two into the lineup every night with all getting big minutes at JrB. If one makes it impossible to send to JrB because of his play here, then so be it.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
I’d be in favour of having most if not all our 08’s play anywhere from some of, to a significant amount of the season at the JrB level.

Obviously, 08’s signed to B cards, the status quo. But those signed to A cards? I’d be on board with most or all of them spending significant time at the JrB level. A 50-50 split in games? Perhaps.

Playing top six minutes at the JrB level trumps playing minuscule minutes in the OHL on a regular basis. Especially when you consider they’d still practise with the big team everyday and dress for some of the games.

Sam O’Reilly and William Nichol are good examples of how development at the JrB level can work. Here in Kitchener, based on what we saw in last year’s playoffs, I’m thinking Andrew McNiel will be a very good example of how extensive JrB time can advance your game.

Sign four 08’s to A cards and rotate two into the lineup every night with all getting big minutes at JrB. If one makes it impossible to send to JrB because of his play here, then so be it.
Not sure we could rotate all four. Guessing it would be a two man rotation between Cameron and Headrick.
Anstis - probably can't play JrB
Bilecki- needs the OHL experience at D

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not sure we could rotate all four. Guessing it would be a two man rotation between Cameron and Headrick.
Anstis - probably can't play JrB
Bilecki- needs the OHL experience at D
I agree on Anstis. Unless rules have changed, US players can’t play JrB.

Bilecki could play here and B I’d think. Nothing wrong with him punching in time at B. He’d probably welcome it if he isn’t getting regular minutes here. He currently sits 5th on the D depth chart behind Andonovski, Reid, Campbell, Dirracolo, and MacNiel. But this is a very young D. I see MM bringing in an OA or an 05 on the cheap to play out the remainder of the season once Ando is moved out, if not before.

Last edited:

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I agree on Anstis. Unless rules have changed, US players can’t play JrB.

Bilecki could play here and B I’d think. Nothing wrong with him punching in time at B. He’d probably welcome it if he isn’t getting regular minutes here. He currently sits 5th on the D depth chart behind Andonovski, Reid, Campbell, Dirracolo, and MacNiel. But this is a very young D. I see MM bringing in an OA or an 05 on the cheap to play out the remainder of the season once Ando is moved out, if not before.
Blake Arrowsmith played last season in the GOJHL as an American with London so it would be possible. Might be a tough sell to those guys who commit to coming to the OHL but obviously London has.

Feel free to add Bonk, Cowan and Mailloux to the successful use cases of the Jr. B to OHL route for those damn Knights! :laugh:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Blake Arrowsmith played last season in the GOJHL as an American with London so it would be possible. Might be a tough sell to those guys who commit to coming to the OHL but obviously London has.

Feel free to add Bonk, Cowan and Mailloux to the successful use cases of the Jr. B to OHL route for those damn Knights! :laugh:
in theory Americans can’t play jr b. His parents or gaurdian may have had to move with him to facilitate the signing.

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
If memory serves me correctly I beleive it was some sort of school/educational Visa loophole that London is now using. Let's see if it was worth it in 24-25?

• Wow
Reactions: East Avenue Bully

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
in theory Americans can’t play jr b. His parents or gaurdian may have had to move with him to facilitate the signing.
Pretty committed to London and the Hunter’s if that is what is required. Impressive on their part to get him/his family to do that

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Swick at Vegas camp
This line from the article caught me off guard a little:
That self-belief was bolstered by the support of the Kitchener Rangers organization, particularly head coach Jussi Ahokas. Under Ahokas' guidance, Swick's game flourished in his final year of junior hockey.

I wonder if this is just the article author not understanding that he can come back as an OA or if Vegas plans to keep him this year no matter what.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That self-belief was bolstered by the support of the Kitchener Rangers organization, particularly head coach Jussi Ahokas. Under Ahokas' guidance, Swick's game flourished in his final year of junior hockey.

I wonder if this is just the article author not understanding that he can come back as an OA or if Vegas plans to keep him this year no matter what.
Agreed....or mistakenly thought that this past season was Swick's OA year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

the writer has no idea what managements plans are for the kid, it’s a throw away line I would t worry about

Reactions: Habsrule

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

It wouldn't shock me if Swick would be given a long look by Vegas and they start him in the AHL this fall. They'll want a player of his size to really work on his physical game. The place to do that is playing against men, not kids.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I think they will also want him to work on his skill set and playing 18 minute a night gaining confidence / adding to his offensive abilities will be better done in the OHL then playing against men. He finally got used to his huge frame last year…I’d let him gain some more confidence here. These big players take more time to reach their potential then a 5’10” player. I see no need to rush him to the next level.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Historically, players in their 19 year old year are considered in their “last year” of junior hockey.

Hence the sweater presentations, etc after their 19 year old year at team banquets.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think we will see Swick back this year. There have been much, much, much better OA's that have been sent back to junior.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Vegas has an older roster and small/weak prospect pool. I can see them rushing some guys development path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad