Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah something like...Mereles and a 2016 15th round pick for their 2016 15th round pick + conditional picks if Mereles signs.
The 15 round picks are a wash so it shouldn't be hard to find a dance partner.
Not to do something is irresponsible.

Yup. Meireles is an asset right now but this asset is fast depreciating. Today, he's worth a 2016 1st round pick to the Rangers and nothing more.

Hiebert needs to make a deal to ensure we get that 2016 1st rounder. Now if I'm Hiebert I deal him to the team that would have the best chance of getting him to report next year. I don't care the division or conference. Therefore, the best location for his rights to go to, may be an hours drive west on the 401. No way you get near the return that Kingston got for Domi's rights as Meireles isn't reporting. But I do a deal where the conditional picks get less and less as his junior eligibility comes to a close.

Something like Meireles to London for a conditional 15th round pick. Should Meireles play one OHL game next year the 15th rounder turns into 3 second rounders. If he plays one OHL game in 2017-18 the 15th rounder turns into two 2nds. If he plays one game in 2018-19 the 15th round pick turns into one second
round pick.

If Hiebert is planning to sit around hoping the Meireles' are true to their word and will report next season and maybe having them choose to play in the NCAA, he's a damn fool.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
The Kitchener Rangers announced today that they have signed forward Greg Meireles to an Ontario Hockey League standard player agreement. Meireles was the team’s first round pick (12th overall) in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection.
The 5’10, 163 lbs Ottawa native captained the Ottawa Jr. 67’s last season, registering 18 goals and 23 assists for 41 points in 24 regular season games. He also added five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 10 playoff games. He registered nine points (3G, 6A) in five games played in the OHL Cup.
While Rangers General Manager Murray Hiebert says the commitment of Meireles is something the club has been working fervently on for quite some time, his impact on the team will be more of a long-term process as the 16-year-old will continue to develop as a member of the Ottawa Senators of the CCHL this season.
“Although he won’t join our team immediately, we see this as a move that is going to strengthen our hockey club in the future,†noted Hiebert.
“Greg will be available to play games as an affiliate player and we look forward to having him join the team on a full time basis next season.
“This is a special player that excels at both ends of the ice,†Hiebert added. “He posseses good hockey sense and the ability to make quick decisions at high speeds.
“We are confident he will continue to steadily improve this season in the CCHL. While we wait with anticipation for him to suit up as a full time member of the Kitchener Rangers, we feel it’s a wait that will be well worth it.â€
Greg Meireles (Mur-ELL-iss)
Hometown: Ottawa, Ontario
Birthdate: January 1, 1999
Height: 5.10
Weight: 163
Position: C
Shoots: R

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Hall really unloaded on young Jones tonight. I'm guessing it might be in the ten game range. Didn't see Jones back for the third.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Jones was sitting in front of us the whole 3rd period, was more interested in texting than watching the game. Didn't look like he had any ill effects.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Hall really unloaded on young Jones tonight. I'm guessing it might be in the ten game range. Didn't see Jones back for the third.

He.s getting something that's for sure. Randall got 10 playoff games 4 seasons ago. That should give Roberts a chance to see if he can handle the OHL. Although he deserves it anyway imo.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Jones was sitting in front of us the whole 3rd period, was more interested in texting than watching the game. Didn't look like he had any ill effects.

I spoke to him after the game.

He is fine. Nice bruise on his face. Said he will be skating again after tomorrow.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Huge cheap shot there. Should be a long suspension

I agree.

It was a dick move and hopefully he pay's for it. He deserves what he gets. Why line up a player who is nowhere near the puck. Hall was asking for fights all game and then just completely crossed the line there.

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
What?? You mean all those folks who trashed him and his family were wrong?

Wow... you are so proud... trashing... is in your opinion... I for one, never bashed Greg or family, only stating... my facts.... and if you feel that's trashing... well... that's your view and we shall disagree...

I stated from beginning, if I was wrong, I'd man up and states so... so... yes... Greg has signed... but he is not with the Rangers... so was I wrong or right... semantics... it's a win for the Rangers, in the future but he's not in the line-up and that is all I stated in the beginning.

and reading all the chatter... I would be willing to bet... family was very aware of all the negative feedback, and this help change the decision and is a huge factor in why he's signing now!

I will end by adding... I personally never bashed the player and hold firm to my view on Greg as a player. He's a quality player, but will be a checker, not a top 6 producer... agree or disagree.. I do not care... it's my opinion and that's all it is... my opinion.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure that's the case.
^ That is the case.

Nice to see the Meireles have backed up their words with action.
I totally understand him wanting to remain at home and get plenty of ice this season.

Now onto the "the hit" last night. Glad to hear that the IceDog player ok and I'm sure Hall will sit out some games for the hit. But having said that it's nice to see for a change
Ranger defencemen play with an edge and physicality. It's easier to dial it back then try to get a player to play with it!
I also thought the IceDog player who went after Hall could've received a major for delivering the same type of hit but without the the same end result from the hit.

Hopefully the nets are back in time for the next game.
Rumour has it they are out for repairs from all the dents in the posts the Rangers put in them last night!

Last edited:

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
My opinion is that Meireles will be a top six producer and become one of the best Ranger players of all time. He will join some pretty good company. Nice to see him sign and look forward to when he plays.

I thought before "the hit" that the pairing of Hall and Allen looked outstanding.

MacInnis really fixed up the OA Import Aagaard.

I counted four posts in the first and one in the third.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought before "the hit" that the pairing of Hall and Allen looked outstanding.

MacInnis really fixed up the OA Import Aagaard.

That hit was something that Scott Stevens would have been proud of. Shoulder down and caught the guy looking for a suicide pass. But wrong league and wrong time. That hit is a suspension in Branch's new no-hit league. Jacob Trouba dished out a similar hit in the NCAA a couple years ago and didn't miss a game. Just saying.

Unfortunately the pass was intercepted by his teammate a split second before the hit. Hall anticipated that he'd receive the pass and timed the hit right but the puck didn't get there. So that (interference) may go against him in front of Branch.

As far as MasInnis goes, I thought he instigated the fight. I don't get how the other guy got the instigator. Williamson had a right to be upset. But then, earlier in the game when Miller was ran into the boards and everyone came into the scrum, MacInnis wound up with a boarding call and Miller roughing. Miller spent most of the time down on the ice. But then, this is OHL officiating we're talking about.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Not defending the hit at all, but I think he literally thought that's who the puck was going to. Those glorious, open-ice (and legal) hits that get replayed year after year are at that moment right when the puck arrives to the player and I think Hall thought he had a chance at one of those. You could tell he started going towards the player right when the pass was made, but completely kept his eye off the puck. It was really stupid, but I don't think he was trying to be a goon. Again though he had plenty of time to stop and I'm sure he's going to pay for it. This may be a very stupid question, but he can't play Jr.B while he's suspended in the O right? With so few games at the beginning of the season, it could be end of October until he's back in the line-up.
Positive notes...can't believe Elijah Roberts. Has anyone ever seen a 16-year old that comfortable? And great saves by Carty, there should be a healthy battle for starts between him and Opilka all year.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
As far as MasInnis goes, I thought he instigated the fight. I don't get how the other guy got the instigator. .

Agree completely, Macinnis gave Aagaard a subtle elbow in the chin, so he fairly casually went after him and then Macinnis threw his first punch before Aagaard's gloves were even off. The refs were the most nervous people on the ice last night..

Sleeperpick

Sep 16, 2014
^ That is the case.

I totally understand him wanting to remain at home and get plenty of ice this season.

I am glad to see he signed too. I can see his parents point when you look at the development of the younger players the last few years. I hope with this new regime that we can get back to the player development we had when PD was here! It is critical that we do!!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That hit was something that Scott Stevens would have been proud of. Shoulder down and caught the guy looking for a suicide pass. But wrong league and wrong time. That hit is a suspension in Branch's new no-hit league. Jacob Trouba dished out a similar hit in the NCAA a couple years ago and didn't miss a game. Just saying.

Unbelievable trivia question regarding Scott Stevens......he played over 1600 NHL games, 23 seasons with extreme physical play and he had a grand total of 4 elbowing penalties.
That's 1 elbowing penalty for just under 6 seasons of hockey.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Unbelievable trivia question regarding Scott Stevens......he played over 1600 NHL games, 23 seasons with extreme physical play and he had a grand total of 4 elbowing penalties.
That's 1 elbowing penalty for just under 6 seasons of hockey.

Gordie Howe fast elbows and Scott Stevens maybe faster?Amazing stat.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

I am glad to see he signed too. I can see his parents point when you look at the development of the younger players the last few years. I hope with this new regime that we can get back to the player development we had when PD was here! It is critical that we do!!

Especially with the Rangers' depth at forward. He'll get plenty of ice time where he is and will come in next year more mature. Missing 3rd line (and more likely 4th line) minutes as a 16 year old shouldn't hurt his development. Look at Ryan Johansen or Claude Giroux; they were just fine.

I have no problem with how the Meireles camp handled this, and it should serve as a reminder to reserve judgement until things play out fully.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Agree completely, Macinnis gave Aagaard a subtle elbow in the chin, so he fairly casually went after him and then Macinnis threw his first punch before Aagaard's gloves were even off. The refs were the most nervous people on the ice last night..
I think the elbow that McInnis threw was a fly by and the IceDog chased him down. Not sure it warranted an instigator, but then again I am not sure McInnis deserved a boarding penalty for nailing Miller from behind? (WTF was that call??).
I was there and to me the Hall hit was a bang, bang where the pass was intended to go to Jones and never made it. The reason Hall stepped up was because a couple of the Niagara boys (Pistorious and Fitzsimmons) were running at our guys along the boards. Would rather see a questionable open ice it, over targetting kids along the boards any day.
Thought the Rangers played fairly well, lots of iron in the first period or the game could have been over. 3 on 3 will be a learning curve as we seemed to want to force the issue, as opposed to ragging the puck and waiting for them to make a mistake. We forced one, they took off up ice with numbers and the game was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad