Value of: Kirill Kaprizov

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Kaprizov is dead set on being a UFA.
He has his sights set on going to a contending team in the spotlight. He’ll be in the prime of his career and get a truck load of cash from whoever…
I see him going to a big market.
NYR/LA/Chicago etc

NYR will have a solid group that’s been in the playoffs regularly…. Panarin and Troubas caps coming off the books. Imo, that’s where he’ll end up….
LA will likely be a contender in the west as well……
Chicago probably still needs a bit more time to cook.
Kaprizov to Chicago would be scary. Him and Bedard... Yikes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lafreniere, Kakko, Trouba for Kaprizov.

Who says no?

Rangers free up $3m and get a star for 2 seasons to compete. The Wild get a very good young winger, a guy that needs a change but could still thrive and Trouba who could be flipped to elsewhere as someone would take him, especially with retention.

It won't happen but still.
Wild say no. Kakko has no value. Trouba is a huge cap dump and Lafreniere alone doesn't even sniff Kaprizov.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Kaprizov isn't 26. Also did you watch prime erik karlsson?
Pre surgery ? Yes I did. Post surgery isn't the same.

To be fair I thought we were talking the recent karlsson trade

Did you mean his initial trade to San Jose?

Karlsson fetched 1st round pick Josh Norris, a 1st round pick that year, two second round picks, Chris Tierney and a top 4 RHD And another prospect

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
To be fair I thought we were talking the recent karlsson trade
To be fair, you're criticizing my take based on your lack of reading comprehension.

Of course I was referring to the initial Karlsson trade, when he was 28 and a transformational player. Kaprizov is currently 27.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Okay but seriously
Meh, he just wouldn't be a fit. He's 2 years older than Suzuki, who is the oldest player in the "new" core. He's 7 years older than Slafkovsky, 8 years older than Reinbacher and 9 years older than Demidov. None of those 3 would be in their prime (if Montreal could make the deal without losing any of the 3) while Kaprizov is still in his. He'd probably be in the "overpaid" part of his contract before the rest of the team matured.

Acquiring him would cost Montreal assets they need to eventually contend.

Any trade to get Kaprizov to Montreal would make Montreal a team closer to the playoffs and farther from serious contention.

So, no thanks.

Reactions: Ciao and HabsQC

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Meh, he just wouldn't be a fit. He's 2 years older than Suzuki, who is the oldest player in the "new" core. He's 7 years older than Slafkovsky, 8 years older than Reinbacher and 9 years older than Demidov. None of those 3 would be in their prime (if Montreal could make the deal without losing any of the 3) while Kaprizov is still in his. He'd probably be in the "overpaid" part of his contract before the rest of the team matured.

Acquiring him would cost Montreal assets they need to eventually contend.

Any trade to get Kaprizov to Montreal would make Montreal a team closer to the playoffs and farther from serious contention.

So, no thanks.
Caufield+

Stop being difficult. The ream is starved fie offense.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Caufield+

Stop being difficult. The ream is starved fie offense.
The added goals now would be at the expense of goals in the future. The goals now won't change much of anything, the goals in the future might contribute to some more significant success.

Reactions: HabsQC

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
To be fair, you're criticizing my take based on your lack of reading comprehension.

Of course I was referring to the initial Karlsson trade, when he was 28 and a transformational player. Kaprizov is currently 27.
Yup my bad. I was skimming this thread for the first time and just saw your 2nd post quoted mentioning Karlsson, not your first post from earlier. My mind went to the latest Karlsson trade.

In any case, after surgery when he was clearly not going to be the same player, his value was our best blue chip Center prospect, our ranked 2nd best prospect(Balcers at the time), a 1st , two 2nd's, a top 4 RHD, and a middle 6 defensive C

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Okay but seriously
The serious answer is your team is not a contender for Kaprizov if you start your offer with Caufield and are not willing to give a top prospect. Caufield is not appealing as a one dimensional midget winger. We have enough tiny guys on our team already.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Demidov is too much.
The problem is that a team that the top prospects from a team that just had 2 top-5 picks in a row are going to be better than those from a better team.... so if Hage were on the table, for example, it could be seen as a "lesser" prospect, yet it would be as strong an offer, prospect-wise, as what a stronger team could offer. Same with Habs 1st vs Florida's first.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Caufield
Beck
1st FLA 2025
lol not even close. The fact it’s not even a Montreal 1st round pick is just a bad faith proposal.
The problem is that a team that the top prospects from a team that just had 2 top-5 picks in a row are going to be better than those from a better team.... so if Hage were on the table, for example, it could be seen as a "lesser" prospect, yet it would be as strong an offer, prospect-wise, as what a stronger team could offer. Same with Habs 1st vs Florida's first.
Top 5 players at their position generally pull really good prospects.
By himself he is too much for me. I expect Demidov to land around where Kaprizov is. The uncertainty of his future is heavily counterbalanced by the salary and extended team control though.
Classic HFBoards. Non-generational prospects being worth more than a top 5 player at his position in his prime.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
lol not even close. The fact it’s not even a Montreal 1st round pick is just a bad faith proposal.

Classic HFBoards. Non-generational prospects being worth more than a top 5 player at his position in his prime.
I think you overrate Kaprizovs value. What do you expect as an offer? Would you trade Buium for Josh Morrissey?

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020

Lol if you think a team will break the bank while not knowing if Kaprisov would resign with them, huge difference in value between short term deal that land him in ufa vs long term deal/Rfa years

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

My point was just that one teams top prospect can easily be another teams 4th best prospect.

Toronto or Colorado's best prospect might be seen as being equivalent to Hage, who is likely Montreal's 4th or 5th best prospect.

But you're right that Kaprizov would pull a nice return.... though until his contract status is clear, teams in locations that have problems re-signing their players might want to avoid getting hosed in a trade when the guy doesn't then want to stick around (look at Ottawa with Debrincat and Chychrun, for example).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad