2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
There aren’t any dominant teams in the nhl these days. If the Blues do end up with Holloway and Broberg, and with a little progression from Thomas, Kyrou, Neighbors and Bolduc, We’ll easily be in the playoffs. We’ll have a nice looking team on paper. Still need to address 1LD imo. Leddy is fine, but I’d rather upgrade with a bigger, more shutdown type to complement Parayko.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This is an insane expectation for a guy who played more AHL games than NHL including a playoff run to the SCF. Not specifically you, but I see people penciling in Broberg on the second pair and are expecting that to be a competive roster.

You think he’d start on the 3rd pair and work his way up? Or start on the 2nd?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You think he’d start on the 3rd pair and work his way up? Or start on the 2nd?
We're cooked if he's starting on the 2nd pair. Broberg should be given a regular shift on the 3rd pair and given a leash to make mistakes. There's reason to think he has more to give but more to give for him right now is being an every day NHL player, not a key component of a blue line. He got completely caved in at 5on 5 in the playoffs which is to be expected for the moment, but he has a lot of development to do before he's ready for top 4 minutes (unless we're fine with torpedoing the season for high draft picks).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We're cooked if he's starting on the 2nd pair. Broberg should be given a regular shift on the 3rd pair and given a leash to make mistakes. There's reason to think he has more to give but more to give for him right now is being an every day NHL player, not a key component of a blue line. He got completely caved in at 5on 5 in the playoffs which is to be expected for the moment, but he has a lot of development to do before he's ready for top 4 minutes (unless we're fine with torpedoing the season for high draft picks).

That’s fair

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do think Suter in the 1st half could have enough left to shelter Broberg, with the goal of Broberg being able to take on more in the 2nd half. Leddy/Parayko continue to handle to truly tough minutes.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If we get him, I want him in top 4. On day 1. If we expect him to become top 4, then he needs to learn to play with and against quality players. He may struggle. I expect he will. But he needs to learn to play through it. Staple him to Faulk (or Parayko, if you prefer) and let him play 22+ minutes a night. He needs to be able to play through his mistakes and know thaat he is still going back out there. Put him in position to succeed. There is no guarantee he will ever become what we hope, but this kid craves that opportunity. For what we are going to pay him, we are betting big that he can do it. Let's give him that chance.

Reactions: AyeBah

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I believe if the Oilers let Holloway walk and Kane goes on LTIR the Oilers now would need to free up only $800k. This could be accomplished by sending Josh Brown to the minors and running a 22-man roster.

This doesn't fix the problem of what happens when Kane gets healthy but they may just be kicking the can down the road.

I'm feeling less confident Broberg is ours than I was before the Podzolkin move.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I believe if the Oilers let Holloway walk and Kane goes on LTIR the Oilers now would need to free up only $800k. This could be accomplished by sending Josh Brown to the minors and running a 22-man roster.

This doesn't fix the problem of what happens when Kane gets healthy but they may just be kicking the can down the road.

I'm feeling less confident Broberg is ours than I was before the Podzolkin move.

I don’t think they can gamble 4.5m to see if Broberg pans out. They have other options on the roster

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Edmonton matches both then we don’t really lose anything and it f***s over Bowman a bit. It’s already a win. I’d like to get both guys, but just sticking it to that clown is a victory in itself.
We did downgrade a 3rd to a 5th.

Reactions: 542365

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I just hope the Oilers teammates and coaches don't make Broberg's life a living hell. Asked for a trade, signed a Offer Sheet, then got that offer sheet matched.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I'm more interested to see how the Oilers work their way out of cap hell next offseason, meanwhile likely making it harder for them to win this season. Their D looks pretty rough.

I really question this move from their standpoint.

That is, unless Edmonton has a surprise RD acquisition that they needed to free up money for. That seems unlikely at this point though.

Reactions: mk80

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm more interested to see how the Oilers work their way out of cap hell next offseason, meanwhile likely making it harder for them to win this season. Their D looks pretty rough.

I really question this move from their standpoint.

That is, unless Edmonton has a surprise RD acquisition that they needed to free up money for. That seems unlikely at this point though.

It's easy: Cody Ceci sucks and getting rid of him is a good move regardless of what they do moving forward.

ds774622

Jun 6, 2024
I don't think they should, but I'm not convinced they won't.

What I don't understand with the Podzolkin move is why Vancouver would want to help their current top rival in any way right now.
EDM probably came to them with a fair offer. A fourth is probably about right. Podz was likely going to battle in camp, and if he didn't make their opening night roster then VAN could have lost him for nothing on waivers.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
It's easy: Cody Ceci sucks and getting rid of him is a good move regardless of what they do moving forward.
Ceci is better than every d-man they have on the right side not named Evan Bouchard and they're trying to win this season. He's also been very durable for them. Instead they've complicated their cap situation for a replacement making over 2x what they feel he deserves with limited NHL playing time and questions about how he'll hold up over the course of a full season.

Moving Ceci makes sense if you can find a better replacement while you're trying to win now. There are big questions about whether they've accomplished that and they've minimized their opportunity to do so later this season.

Could it work out if Broberg stays healthy and outplays Ceci despite playing on his off wing again where he's reportedly not comfortable? It's possible, but that's far from a guarantee.

This doesn't even consider the cap crunch next offseason brings when they're paying nearly $14M for their second defensive pairing and needing pay Bouchard upwards of $9.5M in addition to whatever huge cost Draisaitl will command.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad