2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Completely agree.

It could also be that the player's agents were actively seeking an offer sheet at the open of free agency and declined to sign a low ball Edmonton deal in case a GM came around to their sales pitches. Either way, I agree with you that the offer sheet plan very likely started to materialize early in the summer.

In fairness, they didn't renew his contract. It was described as a mutual parting of ways, but that could very well be spin. Or the 'mutual decision' could have been the following discussion:

Owners: Do this thing

Holland: No

Owners: I don't think we're going to bring you back if you don't do this thing

Holland: Cool, I don't want to be back if I don't have the autonomy to handle that thing the way I want

I tend to think this is all spin for the fanbase. Even if it isn't, Broberg wasn't signing an extension with them while he was riding the bus in the AHL earning a $70k salary. Any expectation that he could have been extended at that point is ludicrous. If that is in fact something that caused a rift with Holland then it is squarely on ownership not understanding the business of hockey. Actually now that I write it out I'm starting to believe it isn't just spin and this is yet another example of Edmonton ownership being terrible.
Yep, it's ownership trying to put a spin on it, so the current group isn't blamed. Make Holland and the Blues the bad guys. If their scenario did happen, and Holland just didn't do anything, and the players were willing to sign at that time, why didn't anyone else in the org just get it done, it's not like if Holland refuses to do something, then that's final and no one else can negotiate with the agents or sign a contract. Or once Holland was gone, and if the report was true that Broberg wanted 1x1.8 and Holloway wanted 1x1.2, why didn't current management sign those deals? Were they really wanting to squeeze them even more to be as cheap as possible?

No, but we are potentially adding a couple nice young players that have the upside to be genuine contributors on a long-term timeline.

I think Broberg is pretty damn unlikely to ever hit the top pair (maybe even fringe #1) upside that was projected in his draft year when he was drafted 8th overall and in the discussion for best D man in the draft class. But that doesn't mean that he can't still become a genuine contributor. Plenty of damn good NHL D men aren't ready to contribute in their early 20s, develop through their mid-20s and then genuinely contribute to a winner in their late 20s.

Montour was 22 for his debut and didn't stick full time until he was 23. He grew through his 20s and was a big piece of Florida's blue line for their win when he was in his age 29 season.

Shea Theodore bounced up and down from the AHL and NHL in his age 20 and 21 seasons before seizing on his opportunity in Vegas in his age 22 season. He had several more years of growth after that season and was the #2 D man on their Cup win in his age 27 season.

Devon Toews was 24 when he made his NHL debut. He was a nice D man for 2 years on the Island and then really broke out as a legit stud in his age 26 season after being traded to the Avs. He won a Cup as the #2 D man on the Avs in his age 27 season.

I'm not saying that he's going to hit those highs, but my point is that this is an addition based on what Broberg could be at 25+. It's not about opening the window right now in his age 23 season. It is about giving a 23 year old with tons of tools the opportunity to grow in the NHL to see if he can develop into a legit contributor for those age 25 through 30 seasons when we're looking to contend again.
And on top of this, it's plausible that one of the main issues with Broberg was being forced to play on his off-side. We all know the difference it made with Faulk going from play on the left when he first came here to playing on his natural right side, and having a clearly defined role. Like you, I don't think we should bank on him following others and having a huge breakout, but a role that better suits him will help.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yep, it's ownership trying to put a spin on it, so the current group isn't blamed. Make Holland and the Blues the bad guys. If their scenario did happen, and Holland just didn't do anything, and the players were willing to sign at that time, why didn't anyone else in the org just get it done, it's not like if Holland refuses to do something, then that's final and no one else can negotiate with the agents or sign a contract. Or once Holland was gone, and if the report was true that Broberg wanted 1x1.8 and Holloway wanted 1x1.2, why didn't current management sign those deals? Were they really wanting to squeeze them even more to be as cheap as possible?

And on top of this, it's plausible that one of the main issues with Broberg was being forced to play on his off-side. We all know the difference it made with Faulk going from play on the left when he first came here to playing on his natural right side, and having a clearly defined role. Like you, I don't think we should bank on him following others and having a huge breakout, but a role that better suits him will help.
EF mentioned on 32T pod that part of our pitch to Broberg is that we will give him chance to play left side. I don't expect he is going to become our 1D, but I think it is reasonable to think he can become a quality top 4D who can defend well and aid in transition. And that he can be that guy not just down the road, but during term of this deal. I've had my eye on him for a couple years, because it's been obvious that he has been woefully mishandled and quite likely has more to give than Oil have been able to get out of him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Weak people deflect blame thus the Edmonton “leadership” is full of weak people.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
All this and we're still far away from contending. :laugh: :dunno: :dunce:
Sure, but they're an attempt at getting closer to contention with minimum risk.

If Edmonton matches, nothing of significant value is lost. If one or both come to St. Louis, then the Blues have a >0% at acquiring players who can make an impact entering their prime for relatively minimal assets while possibly/probably overpaying for AAV in the 2 year window on a roster that has plenty of cap available. If one/both work out, the Blues would likely try to extend them long term and pay market rate. At which point, the Blues' prospects will start playing in the NHL and start to make an impact and the team will be re-entering a period of contention.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I meant no harm, I was actually hoping that these moves signal the opposite.

If all goes as planned (and for the defense):

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel

Looks good to me. :dunno:

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Dark days for Scottie P

If we end up with Broberg I hope they trade Perunovich for a late pick rather than continue to hold 8 D on the roster, give him a shot somewhere else. POJ as the extra is enough, Tucker as 1st call up from Springfield.

Three major D mistakes by Armstrong - Faulk, Krug, Perunovich.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Dark days for Scottie P

If we end up with Broberg I hope they trade Perunovich for a late pick rather than continue to hold 8 D on the roster, give him a shot somewhere else. POJ as the extra is enough, Tucker as 1st call up from Springfield.
Yeah, both the Suter signing and the Broberg offer sheet had to be a kick in the teeth to Scotty.

Maybe the POJ signing as well but the other 2 came a little later.

Reactions: STLegend

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I meant no harm, I was actually hoping that these moves signal the opposite.

If all goes as planned (and for the defense):

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Suter-Kessel

Looks good to me. :dunno:
That's how I had it lined up as well. Sure looks better than what we started the season with last year with the potential to actually be league average.

Leddy-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Perunovich-Tucker

Reactions: mk80 and Meatball

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Dark days for Scottie P

What if they don't match Broberg and then we trade them Scotty P for our 2nd back?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Three major D mistakes by Armstrong - Faulk, Krug, Perunovich.

Not really sure how you can call Faulk and Perunovich mistakes. We got Faulk at good value and Peru showed promise before his many injuries. 2nd rounders are hit or miss. If people wanna call Krug a mistake go ahead, but he fit our team needs when he was signed. Considering Army likely knew Petro wasn't going to sign here, getting Faulk was a smart move.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we are pretty well past the point of Perunovich being worth a 2nd rounder.

He turns 26 this weekend and hasn't been able to establish himself as an everyday NHL player on a team with a below average blue line. He needs to be heavily sheltered with offensive deployment, but he has also never scored an NHL goal through 73 regular season games and 7 playoff games. He is 5'10" and has struggled to stay healthy.

I'm very content having him come to camp and try to earn an NHL job while the #1 PPQB spot is up for grabs. But who is giving up a valuable asset for him? I think he has a bigger chance of being waived than landing a 3rd. I'd be surprised if he gets anything more than a 5th.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Neighbours mentioned on one of his podcasts that Neighbours has put on a lot of muscle.
I'm guessing you meant Strickland because I heard that blurb yesterday. The Blues have done a good job drafting highly driven players over the last few seasons. These young kids are showing that they're ready to work. That's great news for the team culture.

If Neighbours can be even more of a terror in front of the net, he's going to be an absolute load to handle.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm guessing you meant Strickland because I heard that blurb yesterday. The Blues have done a good job drafting highly driven players over the last few seasons. These young kids are showing that they're ready to work. That's great news for the team culture.

If Neighbours can be even more of a terror in front of the net, he's going to be an absolute load to handle.
Haha yep.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Hearing we won’t get either one. Edmonton values them both too much and are working internally to make it happen. Broberg has absolutely zero desire to stay in Edmonton

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

I just hope it doesn’t come at the expense of speed and endurance as it did with Tarasenko.

If it doesn’t and he can win more battles it would be a plus.

What I would really like to see Neighbours do is go work with Oates on his passing and carrying the puck.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hearing we won’t get either one. Edmonton values them both too much and are working internally to make it happen. Broberg has absolutely zero desire to stay in Edmonton
Everything I'm hearing from reporters are that Holloway will be Matched and Broberg will be coming here. Where are you hearing that they are Matching Both?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Nothing out there is actually from Edmonton. People are saying they are still trying to figure it out, everything thing else is just speculation. We won't hear anything until Monday night or Tuesday morning IMO.

Reactions: Majorityof1

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
That's just Oilers fans drinking their nojitos on their placation.

• Haha
Reactions: Drubilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad