Kirill Kaprizov ALREADY holds many Minnesota Wild records

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Gaborik was likely the better player, but was often injured or had a misdiagnosed injury.

What helps Kaprizov is that he is playing in the highest scoring seasons in the history of the Minnesota Wild
No. He was very good, don't get me wrong. Very good. One of the best shots in the game for years was Gabby.

But Kap is more dynamic and a better skater and stick handler, albeit Gabby would beat him 1v1 straight speed.

Reactions: ViD

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
What an indictment for how bad our franchise has been in developing, retaining, or acquiring top-end offensive talent. Kaprizov is a great talent, but he shouldn't be where he is on the all-time charts.
Gaborik was likely the better player, but was often injured or had a misdiagnosed injury.
Gaborik being made of glass is the only reason I have Kaprizov ahead of him. Without the injury disparity I give a very small edge to Gabby. Better pure goal scorer, better at generating offense without skilled linemates, and an underrated defender. How short some Wild fan's memories are.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gaborik's best season in Minnesota was 20 points up on 2nd place and .28 ahead on point-per-game basis.

Kaprizov's best season (so far) was 23 points on 2nd place and .2 ahead on point-per-game basis (though obviously influenced by Kaprizov since it was Zuccarello).

Agree that Gaborik has become pretty underrated.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Matthews on a similar trajectory, only difference being the Leafs as a franchise are about 5x older than Minny. :biglaugh:

Cool for Kap though, dude's been electric ever since he broke into the league.
Matthews has that magical ability to make to any thread about any player...

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Wild have one more year to ensure that massive dead cap hit. Then all hell breaks loose.

Shortest vertically challenged person.

The list of potential free agents in 2025/2026 season looks pretty legit. 14 million extra could do some damage. Get some people to pad Kap's stats some more.

Gaborik was over-rated by the way. Guy had speed....thats about it.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So... A lot of nothing?

Per game/per season is meaningless. People care absolute franchise records such as most goals, assists, etc.

He's a superstar player, but let's not act like he's some otherworldly talent that is transcending normal hockey.

I wouldn't consider a season record meaningless (per game kinda is though I agree).

People make big deals of 40/50/60 goal seasons and 90/100+ points seasons all the time.

In Habs land, we're all watching if Suzuki will give us our first 80+ point season since 2008.

Of course, the all-time record is even more important.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With his only 4th season as a Wild player he holds the following franchise records:

Goals per game
Assists per game
Points per game
Goals created per game
Most goals in a season
Most assists in a season
Most points in a season
Most PP goals in a season

Also, with only 271 games played, he’s already:

4th in goals
8th in points
10th in shots
2nd in hat tricks

I mean he already qualifies to be considered for a jersey retirement
All of his per game “records” don’t seem like actual records. If he drops off he loses all of them….which makes them sort of not records. All of the per season ones he could get in one good season so the thread title and op seem a bit misleading with your use of “ALREADY” as if it’s a cumulative thing he’s achieved so much faster than all other Wild player.

The four actual records he isn’t leading the team in seem the pertinent ones you’d be able to use the exaggerated ALREADY for. As well as the jersey retirement.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

What helps Kaprizov is that he is playing in the highest scoring seasons in the history of the Minnesota Wild
As a guy who watched plenty of both, i would say that Kaprizov is the better player, though they are different. Gaborik was a straight line, speedy scorer, Kaprizov is not as fast, but has crazy good edges, and is dangerous as a scorer or a passer.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean, he could maybe edit and extend his post by 2, possibly 3 very short stat lines by listing all the league wide accomplishments by his team.

I don't know why Wild fans are so sensitive.

They've made the playoffs a fair amount considering they haven't had a HHoF type talent in their line-up for most of their existence.

Is it surprising that Kaprisov is already shooting for franchise records on a team that traditionally has not had a lot of offence?

Mikko Koivu is their top franchise scorer with 709 points. #2 (Gaborik) had 437 points with the team.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
How many takeaways does he average in the last 5 minutes against the Columbus Blue Jackets though? If he held that record it would truly be #Historic

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Team started in dead puck era and this is the highest the scoring rate has been since then so the current era's best player of the team is quite expected to be holding many of the team's records.

Reactions: Chet Manley

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I don't know why Wild fans are so sensitive.

They've made the playoffs a fair amount considering they haven't had a HHoF type talent in their line-up for most of their existence.

Is it surprising that Kaprisov is already shooting for franchise records on a team that traditionally has not had a lot of offence?

Mikko Koivu is their top franchise scorer with 709 points. #2 (Gaborik) had 437 points with the team.

My only issue with the statement is that the same thing could be said about the other expansion teams from the same time. Probably more telling about how unfavorable expansion drafts used to be, and less about Minnesota Wild in particular.

320 points would be good for a top 10 spot for almost every expansion team since 1990.

Koivu's 709 would be the top scorer for Nashville and Columbus. It would also be 2nd highest for teams like Ottawa and New Jersey.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Putting up nice numbers, but using per game/season for someone who has played only 4 seasons (all of which are generally considered prime years) is not a good metric when comparing to other players in the history.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My only issue with the statement is that the same thing could be said about the other expansion teams from the same time. Probably more telling about how unfavorable expansion drafts used to be, and less about Minnesota Wild in particular.

320 points would be good for a top 10 spot for almost every expansion team since 1990.

Koivu's 709 would be the top scorer for Nashville and Columbus. It would also be 2nd highest for teams like Ottawa and New Jersey.

Here's what I also said in this very thread, but no one appears to have noticed:

You will see a bunch of teams who were expansion teams during less offensive eras see franchise records fall if scoring continues the way it has over the past few seasons.

In Ottawa's case, it was less about not having the talent and more about not being able to keep it.

Guys like Yashin, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat and Stone were all homegrown talents who put up a lot of points elsewhere.

The list of Wild players who put up substantial points on other teams is Brent Burns.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad