Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
This is going to be one of the main storylines of next season. That and Lane Hutson coming in the core group as well.

With Dach and Dvorak gone for most of the season, we had to rely on Newhook to be our 2nd line center and considering he almost missed 27 games he did admirably with wingers like Gallagher and Armia.. but it's not where he's supposed to be slotted in the lineup.

Newhook - Dach on the 2nd line will undoubtedly shine next year compared to what we had last year.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting, that's EXACTLY how I feel about Guhle. If someone, somewhere hits another player on the ice, it's a safe bet Guhle's on the receiving end. And in a bad position (in the numbers, usually).
It`s mandatory for dmen to learn how to protect themselves when they go back for the puck, they`re a target every shift. Looking around the league, it seems rare for any dman to play 82 games, they take a lot of punishment. Depth is a good thing and it`s important in my opinion to have a few veteran dmen to mentor the young ones.

Edit: Looked it up, 33 dmen played every game in the NHL in 2023-24 or 1 per team average including Mike Matheson with the Habs. 75 forwards as well including Slafkovsky, Caufield, Suzuki and Evans.

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Loin des yeux, loin du coeur.

Am I wrong to remember the narrative being that Dach was the future #1 Center in front of Suzuki during the pre-season? I feel like it was the majority opinion.
Well, he was dominant in the pre season and in the 4 periods he played when the season started ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well, he was dominant in the pre season and in the 4 periods he played when the season started ;)
True and Suzuki wasn't even warmed up at that point.
Here's the deal there will always be a better match-up for one of the two top lines.
It varies from opponent to opponent and is usually more dependent on how good the top two D pairings are.
If Dach's line had continued to be a problem for the opposition Suzuki's line would have benefited with the easier match-ups.

Notable is once Suzuki asked for Slaf everything changed. Suddenly it didn't matter who we were up against.
That bodes well for this year and as good as Dach may become he has a heck of a lot of catching up to do to displace Suzuki.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he plays, probably beat case Ontario he just replaces the production Monahan had before he was dealt, so there's no improvement for the team.

Reactions: the

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
If he plays, probably beat case Ontario he just replaces the production Monahan had before he was dealt, so there's no improvement for the team.

I don't think thats the best case for Dach, I think his best case is significantly higher production than Monahan. I'd say Monahan level production is the most likely though, but I bet he's chomping at the bit to join this group and prove he's gonna be a key piece of it.

Reactions: HabzSauce and Lshap

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Yeah him and Slaf were really dominant together, with the help of Newhook. That been said, Suzuki still ended as a ppg in preason, so let's not diminish his potential. The narrative of Dach been the future number one center is just pointless anyway. Let's just be happy we have top6 that can be centers on a championship team.

Anyway, it will all start again when he'll finish the season with something like 20 goals and 58 assists in 72 games next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is Dach a RFA or UFA after his current deal expires? I thought he had one more year of RFA left but then on Spotrac, it shows him as UFA for 26/27?

What is the rule? 7 years of RFA service or age 27? Whichever comes first?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Is Dach a RFA or UFA after his current deal expires? I thought he had one more year of RFA left but then on Spotrac, it shows him as UFA for 26/27?

RFA
Screenshot_20240820_091637_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

He is RFA, there was confusion because of the 7 years rule the year he played 18 games did not count as a year accrued. I believe it was because the injury was not NHL related it was from international play at WJC.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Let's hope Kirby Dach comeback season is glorious. The amount of online trash I've seen since we've gotten Laine about "who's he gonna play with?" "Dach is a lower-tier 2nd line C" "Are the Habs going to get a 2nd line C now?"

Song of the summer: Forgot about Dach (Explicit Version) - Eminem.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Let's hope Kirby Dach comeback season is glorious. The amount of online trash I've seen since we've gotten Laine about "who's he gonna play with?" "Dach is a lower-tier 2nd line C" "Are the Habs going to get a 2nd line C now?"

Song of the summer: Forgot about Dach (Explicit Version) - Eminem.

Dach and Laine need just to be healthy. They will dominate together.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Can't wait to have Dach back.

I do think we have to manage our expectations point wise.

There is only one puck, and it's very rare to have a top 6 where all players are producing 60+ points. Laine, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Suzuki....it's very unlikely all 5 will be producing at their max potential at the same time, especially since they can't all fit on the PP.

Dach hovering around 50-55 points is a reasonable expectation if he plays 82 games.

Even the following point distribution would be pretty exceptional

Suzuki 75 points
Caufield 70points
Slafkovsky 65 points
Laine 60 points
Dach 55 points

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can't wait to have Dach back.

I do think we have to manage our expectations point wise.

There is only one puck, and it's very rare to have a top 6 where all players are producing 60+ points. Laine, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Suzuki....it's very unlikely all 5 will be producing at their max potential at the same time, especially since they can't all fit on the PP.

Dach hovering around 50-55 points is a reasonable expectation if he plays 82 games.

Even the following point distribution would be pretty exceptional

Suzuki 75 points
Caufield 70points
Slafkovsky 65 points
Laine 60 points
Dach 55 points

Been hoping for some updates on Dach's summer development post injury but it's been pretty quiet.

Dach will eventually be on PP2 so most of his production will be 5-on-5; so if he doesn't overtake Suzuki as 1C then he's probably gonna be a 50-70 point guy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Been hoping for some updates on Dach's summer development post injury but it's been pretty quiet.

Dach will eventually be on PP2 so most of his production will be 5-on-5; so if he doesn't overtake Suzuki as 1C then he's probably gonna be a 50-70 point guy.

Dach will probably start this year on pp2. But already next year when Demidov is here, both pop's should be good ones.

Suzuki
Laine/Caufield Demidov Slaf
Hutson

Roy
Caufield/Laine Newhook Dach
Matheson

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dach will probably start this year on pp2. But already next year when Demidov is here, both pop's should be good ones.

Suzuki
Laine/Caufield Demidov Slaf
Hutson

Roy
Caufield/Laine Newhook Dach
Matheson

They can both be good PPs, but unit 1 always takes 90ish seconds so just by lack of PP TOI it is hard to produce as much on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad